Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Senses Fail Band • Page 89

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by SmithBerryCrunch, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

Also, Apple Music doesn’t let you add both versions of the album because it recognizes them as the same album lol.

2. cbronder1

Regular

This EP sounds great re-recorded. I grew up loving the original EP and to have these with a more modern recording is just awesome to me. I'll be jamming this all weekend.

popdisaster00 and teebs41 like this.
  3. Yep, this is a treat to have.

cbronder1 and teebs41 like this.
  4. Now TSL has to go and re-record "With Hopes of Starting Over"

5. cbronder1

Regular

I'd be so down for that.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Buddy's voice sounds no bueno.

7. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Ftfy

BTDandFeelingThis and teebs41 like this.
  8. Kevin_MI

This is exactly how I feel. Nostalgia overload and I love the new recording.

teebs41 and cbronder1 like this.
  9. Not gonna act these songs were like incredible works of art to begin with, but man, the modern flair just removes ALL of the life that made them charming in the first place. Like this literally just sounds like robots to me lol.

Also, definitely color me confused about the lyrical changes. Didn’t Buddy stop playing One Eight Seven live because of the lyrics? And then just like, didn’t change any of the ones that mattered here?

bobby_runs and riotspray like this.
  10. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I agree that this sounds emotionless and flat.

I kind of dislike re-records/remasters anyway if it's something I've been listening to for ages. Changing it is just weird once you become accustomed to hearing something a certain way.

That being said, if I've never heard a record before, a remaster can be really great since a poor recording might have kept me from getting into the music in the first place.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  11. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I hard disagree with these takes, I think the record sounds fantastic and still captures the desperation the original recordings had... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

The gang vocal part (Shot through the heart) on One Eight Seven is a perfect example of the flatness I'm referring to. Buddy's other screams in the rest of the song are pretty good, but the gang vocal line on the original recording is infinitely better. This one sounds like everyone was woken up in the middle of the night to record it.

13. trevorshmevor Sep 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2019)
    Yeah I think that also what makes that part sound particularly bad is having Buddy like, weirdly sing OVER the gang vocals? The cadence isn’t even matched lol, it sounds so.... layered. Like a total afterthought.

But for me it’s the instruments that mostly drive me mad. I guess that’s why I tend to not really dig a lot of stuff in this genre to begin with though. These super chopped up and cropped guitars, the blown out hyper compressed tones — idk. Just feels really hastily thrown together. Regardless, still cool that Buddy did this and I totally get that it’s just not really for me

Saephon and riotspray like this.
  14. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Seems like we're the minority. Glad fans are digging it.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. bradsonemanband Sep 6, 2019
    (Last edited: Sep 6, 2019)
    Just started this. What a trip. Steven sounds great so far.

UPDATE: Halfway through and this rules!

Kross, cbronder1 and teebs41 like this.
  16. I prefer the original. I like the rawness of it, there is something endearing about the imperfections of it.

17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Even if more "amateurish", the original sounds like a young excited up and coming band. The new one sounds like an old tired bored band.

18. the new one sounds like an homage/nostalgic tip of the hat to their former selves. it's sweet, but it also has the legs to stand on its own, if someone isn't familiar with that first EP. and i bet a lot of younger fans will prefer this version of the EP because of the cleaner/better production.

19. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Can't believe we had to say goodby to Steven again.

20. you vandal

Regular

lol

bradsonemanband likes this.
  21. If the Wikipedia timeline is at all correct about their member history, Buddy is the only person that’s been in the band for longer than 3 years lol. So idk about the whole “former selves” thing. Seems much more like “we don’t have any more albums that would draw people for 10 year tours for at least a few years so how can we get some more nostalgia cash”. With how little of these lyrics were changed, I’m really not buying that being the reason Buddy did this.

Anyway sorry y’all I’ll stop mucking up the thread with negativity now, I know that can be annoying. If this is how these songs sound in 2019 then it just is what it is

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

That's fair. To people who haven't heard the original, this is probably just as good/better. I guess I'm just a little disappointed because I was pretty excited for the re-release and I'll probably never listen to it again.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  23. St. Nate

I like new Steven better than old Steven.

Saephon and bradsonemanband like this.
  24. I miss the old Steven, straight from the go Steven
    Chop up the soul Steven, set on his goals Steven

25. St. Nate

tbh i don't think he's ever really sounded bueno imo