Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Senses Fail to Change Lyrics in Re-Recorded Songs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Senses Fail have announced that they’ll be changing up the lyrics of the songs when they re-record their debut EP.

If you’re going to re-record old songs like this (my guess is to get the rights to them?), I think this is a good way to address the lyrical content. Artists change, they grow, and I think it’s a good thing when they address stuff like this during the process.

Also in re-recording Bastard Son we’re going to take the word “bitch” out of the chorus.

— Senses Fail (@sensesfail) December 10, 2018

no one told me to not say “whore” in a song but as a 34 year old adult, using the word “whore” in a song makes me feel like a loser and I don’t want to physically have to do it. It’s not preserving anything other than prolonging the fact I was a 17 year old loser for writing it. https://t.co/c4F5zfDZlq

— Senses Fail (@sensesfail) December 11, 2018

if something can be changed to hopefully not make someone feel like shit why not choose the thing that doesn’t hurt someone? Being anti PC is such a triggered response. You’re triggered in the same way you’re upset at other people for being triggered. https://t.co/15CE3FWrM3

— Senses Fail (@sensesfail) December 11, 2018

2. Nice. Good idea. Excited to hear these.

falafelmywaffle and Saephon like this.
  3. stahlneckr

Newbie Supporter

If you're ashamed of something you did when you were younger and have the chance to change it then why the hell not?

It's a pretty good lesson for everyone, really. If you've said or done something you're ashamed of and you have the chance to change it/apologize you do it.

4. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Yeah I know in one of his IG stories Buddy said they want to do vinyl and they can't get the songs.

This EP and Let It Enfold You really suffer lyrically at times so I'm all for this.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  5. That makes sense/was my guess. Thanks for the info.

6. smoke4thecaper Dec 12, 2018
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2018)
    smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Happy to hear this from Buddy. I haven't been a fan of Senses Fail since I was young (like, 18-19 y.o.), but one of the main reasons I stopped listening was due to how poorly their first two records aged (in a rapid amount of time, if I say so myself).

This is a good idea that I would love to see from other bands. For example, Hawthorne Heights (even though I am most certainly not a fan of their music).

7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Great idea, would be very happy if this became a theme for a lot of bands.

8. CSWAPPO

Regular

What a good dood! very cool!

summertimejesus likes this.
  9. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

People are SUPER salty about it on Twitter and it's kind of hilarious. This is no different than artists recording dirty and clean versions of songs for radio but for whatever reason, people are mad about Senses Fail re-doing songs they wrote when they were 17.

10. currytheword

Trusted

How amazingly ignorant it must feel to believe your opinion on someone else changing their own work of art to their liking is valid.

11. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

excited for this. The original still holds up well, but looking forward to these. Defiantly holds up better than LIEY. I cant put that record on anymore. Also, is this an acoustic album? No right? I hope not.

12. fourstarters

Team Wiggum

Full band; Buddy noted that vocals, guitar, and bass are done and they're doing drums with Dan now. As it's not an acoustic record, the acoustic version of "The Ground Folds" from the EP is getting replaced with "Bastard Son" (with them changing "bitch" in the chorus).

13. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

Awesome. I’d love to see them do this for LIEY. Maybe that’s a big ask, but I’d love to play some of those songs without feeling kind of gross.

slimfenix182 likes this.
  14. Zip It Chris

Be kind; everyone is on their own journey.

Admirable, and I respect the hell out of it...Buddy has grown a lot before all of our eyes, alongside most of us and it's cool to see him making the right decisions.

15. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I'd encourage you to check out the album released earlier this year, it sounds like Senses Fail musically but a lot of the record has to do with his wife almost dying delivering their child. It might not be for you, but as you alluded to, Buddy isn't the same person anymore, & it shows in the lyrics.

16. SFguitar

Regular

I'm guessing Drive-Thru owns the rights to these songs? They actually already pressed this on vinyl but it's apparently rare as shit. Does Drive-Thru even exist anymore?

Raku likes this.
  17. Saephon

Regular

Just like with Paramore, I'm a fan of this idea. The original songs still exist and won't be erased/retro-fitted a la George Lucas's affinity with erasing Star Wars history. But lyrics exist purely as an expression of an artist, and I believe that artist has the right to sing/not sing or change words at his own discretion. I've seen many bands who changed lyrics to songs they played live for much less controversial reasons; sometimes they just felt like doing it.

In this particular instance, I think it's a good move and I'm happy with Buddy.

18. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Very cool of him to do.

I found this interesting as well.

19. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I once wrote a paper in high school making the parallel between Lady in a Blue Dress and treatment/perceptions of Caddy in Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury. Had totally forgotten until reading this thread...and wow, the things you do at that age to bend your emo music interests to suit your needs.

20. mad

I was right. Prestigious

"it’s not preserving anything other than prolonging the fact I was a 17 year old loser for writing it"
    best

21. mad

I was right. Prestigious

this is such a good idea

summertimejesus and Joe4th like this.
  22. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Their first two records aged poorly? Huh?

23. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

While I have no real affinity for anything Senses Fail have done pre-Renacer anymore (though Still Searching gets a play for some songs occasionally), I can get behind this.

24. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

You can't possibly tell me when you listen to Senses Fail's first two releases (the aforementioned EP being re-recorded and LIEY) in 2018, they still sound fresh and not at all sound like time capsules of music from that early-00's era.

There are a lot of albums from those early-00 "scene" days that have not aged well at all; Buddy acknowledged why: they were all 17 year old losers. I love Saves the Day, TBS, FOB... but they each have "classic" songs I would never want to hear sung by a live crowd due to fucked-up lyrical content. Nothing wrong with looking back at art with new-found perspective & hindsight.

Davjs and summertimejesus like this.
  25. RileyWitiw

more like absolutepop.net Supporter

hahaha, i feel this so hard.

Raku likes this.