Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Senses Fail/Finch Collaboration Do Some Teasing • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 27, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

For sure. I understand and appreciate what Buddy was trying to do. I just think it fell flat and the guitars were so mediocre on that record but I think it's because Buddy wrote most of it which is something I hope he doesn't attempt again hah.

2. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I have no clue what their best album is, to be honest.

3. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I would say it's a tie between Still Searching and Renacer for me. The only record I ever spin in the last few years though is Renacer.

4. Bryan Diem

Trusted

For some reason, I'm not sure why, but I love LINAWR. Production is obviously dumpster-tier but pretty much every song is great except Chandelier which is bad. SS somehow sounds a million times better so that may beat it out, but I just don't know.

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I definitely think LINAWR is underrated even for Buddy who hates some songs off the record. Map The Streets and Blackout is where I expected the band to go after but instead we got the lame duck known as The Fire. I love Lifeboats as much as the next SF fan but that can't save the shitty record with even shittier production.

Bryan Diem likes this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

I love the Fire lol. Irish Eyes and Hold On are two of my favorite songs from them.

I agree with Thorns being a huge letdown music wise, the band itself is so talented and for them to take a backseat so Buddy could write the music was a mistake. I hope they go heavy with this for the most part, heavy SF is the best kind of SF IMO.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  7. Bryan Diem

Trusted

The Fire is pretty underrated imo, but it may have the worst production of any McTernan record, which is really saying something. I pretty thoroughly enjoy that record, though it is a little too uniform/without deviation so I can't say it's my favorite,but I still appreciate it a lot. I agree about the two closing songs of LINAWR, I loved those and the more straight pop-rock-ishness of them. What does Buddy hate about that album? I mean Chandelier is trash but the run of tracks from 6-9 is truly fantastic.

8. Davjs

Trusted

I loved LINAWR and Fire because they had a mix of it all. Heavy tracks like Lifeboats, Wolves, Lungs Like Gallows and then the more poppy Map the Streets, Hold On, St Anthony, Garden State. I know people hold the first 2 in high regards and there are some good tracks on there, but for me the Life-Fire-Renacer era of the band will always be my favorite.

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeah dude McTernan sucks as a Producer. He did awesome records backkkk in the day (40 hour train!!) but he's ruined records in his later years. With better production and some tweaks to songs, The Fire could have been really something cool but yeah.

I'd have to find what Buddy specifically said but it was essentially that he hated how it was written (in studio) and did not like songs like "Ali For Cody" at all. He also said The Fire is his least favorite record with "Hold On" being his least favorite.

Edit: listening to The Fire now and I forgot how much I dug half the record. "Safe House", "Coward", "Landslide", "Heading West", and of course "Lifeboats" are solid songs. Also the b-side "Ghost Town" is solid too. Wish that made the cut originally. Anyways, the production is still shit. Guitars sound piercing to me and the drum tones are lame. Fucking McTernan man lol.

10. Davjs

Trusted

Ghost town is awesome, agreed that should have been on the album. Don't forget how good Irish Eyes are :-)

11. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Irish Eyes is one of my favorite SF songs.

Davjs likes this.
  12. Bryan Diem Sep 29, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 29, 2016)
    Bryan Diem

Trusted

I know college students who make better sounding albums than he does, haha. I probably whine about his work too much, but it just really needs to be said HE IS ABSOLUTE TRASH, ESPECIALLY IN THE LATE 2000s AND 2010s AND NO BAND SHOULD EVER WORK WITH HIM.

But yeah, I used to always forget about that album's good parts too. I love the opener, and the verses of Hold On are really nice imo. Also Saint Anthony and Nero are just great pop punk songs, though I can see how they aren't innovative at all. I haven't listened to Ghost Town in FOREVER, I need to get on that! I'm on Closure/Rebirth now, switching it up from my ETID/Polar Similar kick. There was some savagery in the second track, this is pretty sick so far.

EDIT: Tracks 6-8, especially 8, are rippppppers dude

13. Davjs

Trusted

That's a little extreme lol. Had to look him up because I don't follow producers and he's done some of my fav SF and Thrice albums. I never really thought they sounded bad, but that's not my field.

14. Bryan Diem

Trusted

It's not mine either, haha. But you can hear each SF album he did just sound worse and worse. Production is actually fine on SS, it's really really bad on LINAWR, and it's lol-tier on The Fire. IOS by Thrice sounds like his old-school production, TAITA sounds super dry and bland, but not in the way he normally does. For good examples of albums he's totally botched, his two albums with Emarosa were hit really hard, as were his albums with Fireworks and Red Tree with Moneen.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Dude it's true man. He sucks. It needed to be said hah.

A lot of Deftones vibes right?? Dude "Snake Bite" and "Courage of The Knife" is (and I hate using this word) brutal as fuck. I also think the best closer of theirs on any album is this one with a"Between The Mountains and The Sea".

16. I love the production on that Fireworks album... like specifically really love the soundscapes he gets. And I can be hyper-critical of producers. I can see where you're coming from but disagree on the Fireworks album.

17. Davjs

Trusted

Snake bite is my favorite SF song. Shame they've never played it live. Same with Courage.

18. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I need to revisit The Fire for sure, I can't recall a single song off of it. I listened to LIEY in my car the past week after a huge break hehh. Still loved "Bite To Break Skin".

Ps. Brian McTernan had so many good records, you can't just say he sucks ;/ he's just hit or miss sometimes. It might be subjective, fine, but "On Letting Go", "Red Tree", "Only Every Time" are perfect to me ;o

19. Bryan Diem

Trusted

That song is really great! LIEY is just an enjoyable album for me, first two tracks are such potent back-to-school/fall jams for me, haha

I think it's fair to say he helped make good albums, but he is a huge detractor from just about every album he's worked on post 2006. He ranges from iffy to absolute garbage in that span. I also love OLG, I think it's really special and beautiful and my second favorite CS record, and it's probably the least terrible sounding of McTernan's more recent stuff.

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@Bryan Diem hell yeah, I still enjoy it in a form of going down the memory lane, but some songs are better for sure. As far as OLG goes - it's my favorite Circa album! :) I'm not sure if I liked any McTernan albums in the last few years, but like I said - "Only Every Time" by The Graduate is also flawless to me, and it's 2010 I think.

21. Bryan Diem

Trusted

I haven't heard that, but I guess I should. OLG definitely is up there with Juturna, imo, but there's a little less variation on OLG in the songwriting which keeps some songs back. Also tracks 10-11 aren't as good as the rest. Mandala is a GODLY jam however.

22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

@Bryan Diem I think you're right about that difference between OLG and Juturna, but for me it's mostly a very subjective choice to take one above the other, mostly due to the lyrics and the time it was released in :) "Mandala" is actually my favorite too! But at the same time I love "Your Friends Are Gone" as the closer :) ...depending on the music you'd normally listen to, but "Only Every Time" is a great summer album, I'd definitely recommend it ;D

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious