Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Self Defense Family Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Horrorca, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Horrorca

Trusted

One of my favorite bands ever. Pushing the envelope while not ignoring its influences/roots, thought provoking, ever-changing, with a constantly rotating line-up, not committed to anything but putting out good shit. They might sound like Lungfish on this song, then like Killing Joke on the next, or maybe even like Angels of Light on the following one, or whatever.

I also like how they operate - three or four releases (varying from EPs to singles (an LP if we're lucky)) per year, no apologies, no regrets.

And yeah, Pay is an opinionated asshole - I think that adds to their charm.

Difficult to choose a single release, but Heaven Is Earth, the Scotland single and Alan are some of the sickest.

2. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I don't keep up with this band anymore. You Are Beneath Me and the EP that this gem is on are excellent.

3. Horrorca

Trusted

their collabo with Touché Amoré is pretty sick too

4. flask

Trusted Supporter

Half the fun of seeing them live is listening to Pat's banter between songs. But they're also great live so everything about them is great.

5. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

One of the best bands in hardcore right now. Their Tumblr is great too.

6. Horrorca

Trusted

new song is sick

trumpet!!!

7. Horrorca

Trusted

8. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Liking the song off the new mini-LP more than anything off of their last few releases

9. Horrorca

Trusted

When the Barn Caves In is siiiiiick - try that one

10. cherrywaves

Trusted

The last album was real good, liked it way more than Try Me

11. Horrorca

Trusted

ah, to hard for me to chose one, specially because of the way this band works w/r/t releases

I do agree it's a killer record, Talia is probably in my top 3 Self Defense - they need to explore that sound further

12. flask

Trusted Supporter

When it comes to their 2 full lengths I like Heaven Is Earth more as a whole. Superior is also really good. They just consistently put out interesting music.

13. Horrorca

Trusted

I really love their approach to releasing music

2 or 3 new songs exploring new territory every quarter, and a full length every now and then - if you don't like this quarter's songs, don't worry because you'll get something different in three months

it's refreshing, specially considering the ridiculous roll-outs albums have nowadays

ChicagoBowls likes this.
  14. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

love them dearly

15. Horrorca

Trusted

16. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That Superior EP was the thing by them I liked the most. They are a hard band to get into, a truly dizzying amount of releases. I have pretty much just listened to that one album they did as End of a Year, a few of the splits and eps here and there. The Superior EP was by far the best thing though I still haven't given Try Me (80 minutes come on) and Heaven is Earth a spin. I think part of the reason I liked Superior so much is that I don't dig his voice very much on other releases, and voices are not a deal breaker for me 95% of the time so that he gets to me is truly an achievement.
    All this being said, I caught Drug Church's set at Wrecking Ball and that was siiiiick

17. cherrywaves

Trusted

Try Me has two interview pieces, the actual music is only like 40 minutes

18. Horrorca

Trusted

yeah - give the two lps a spin

everything they put out is so different that if you hate one song/release there are dozens of others that you might like

also, that Drug Church Wrecking Ball performance was really cool - Pay's the man

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'm def gonna listen to the interviews too, I just gotta find the time. Might start with Heaven Is Earth, idk. Do they have anything else that sounds like Superior though?
    I liked how he made fun of Piebald and they did exactly what he said they'd do that was p fun, Drug Church is dope and I will finally check them out as a result of that

20. cherrywaves

Trusted

I'm split on their Twitter. Sometimes it can be pretty funny. Other times it just comes off as contrarian for the sake of being contrarian

21. cherrywaves

Trusted

I would suggest the Island 7"s, probably their best stuff. But Heaven on Earth is only like 30 minutes and my favorite full length of theirs

22. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Will take these suggestions, thanks
    I agree with you on their twitter, though I think the dude genuinely wants to hear all sides of a story and seems to prefer to do so by butting heads. Which is fine, it's usually pretty harmless stuff about culture and subculture, but occasionally it makes me a bit uncomfortable.

23. Horrorca

Trusted

that's Pay - his Tumblr is pretty cool

I think he is a really open minded, good hearted dude - being uncomfortable is part of the human experience, don'y shy away from it

finally, start with the Scotland EP

24. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Oh yeah, I think I went on it once and it was just him and...Andrew? answering questions but i may have forgotten to hit that follow button bc I haven't seen it since. oh, I don't shy away from it, I think what he does is in general pretty healthy and good for fostering a good discussion but he sometimes veers into not great territory. which is fine! mistakes happen and he is generally open to hearing why he's wrong (that i have seen) and this is clearly how he learns about social stuff so.
    Will do, I have that and the, I think, Jamaica one

25. Horrorca

Trusted

"this is Self Defense music"

they're the best