Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Selena Gomez - Rare (January 10,2020) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Dec 12, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Dec 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 12, 2019)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

[​IMG]
    1. Rare
    2. Dance Again
    3. Look At Her Now
    4. Lose You to Love Me
    5. Ring
    6. Vulnerable
    7. People You Know
    8. Let Me Get Me
    9. Crowded Room (feat. 6LACK)
    10. Kinda Crazy
    11. Fun
    12. Cut You Off
    13. A Sweeter Place (feat. Kid Cudi)

2. username

hey you lil piss baby

I just got around to these singles the other day and they're fantastic.

3. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Didn't care for this at all; just not my thing

4. arewhyayein

Regular Supporter

Idk Dance Again is v.v. good

5. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

just hit play and rare is fantastic! chorus vocals remind me of lana in a cool way.

6. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

oh, didn't know there's a breakout thread for this. Enjoyed on first listen, definitely feels like a grower, not a shower

7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Only 6 tracks in but Rare is my favorite so far. Glad she was finally able to get a full album out.

8. btr

Trusted Supporter

Halfway through and liking it. A lot coming out this month so hopefully it sticks

9. I like this

10. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Rare is fantastic. Just diving into my first listen, so hoping more hit like this and Lose You To Love Me.

11. Garrett

This was very consistent, but nothing stood out as much as Rare did on first impression.

12. username

hey you lil piss baby

The singles are still the best, the title track is really strong too, but this wasn’t quite as good as I was hoping. Still solid front to back and hopefully it’ll grow more with time.

13. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Shit, man, this album is outstanding. This is what I've been wanting Ariana to do for 3 records now. She's really come into her own over these last two albums.

ChiliTacos likes this.
  14. irthesteve

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I mean, I like this album a fair amount, but I would easily take any of Ari's last three albums over this any day

15. Yeah that's the hottest take I've read this year

16. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

Dangerous Woman is certainly better, as it’s probably a top 5 pop album of the decade. Sweetener is probably on about the same level as this for me. But I would take this over thank u, next anyyyyyydayyyyyy

17. irthesteve

no way, than u next is amazing

18. I prefer thank u next over Sweetener. Both had one or two duds though

19. irthesteve

Unfortunately, the lows on Sweetener hurt that album a lot, mostly the Pharrrell-produced tracks. There's not much on thank u next that I dislike

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  20. cshadows2887

Dangerous Woman has some amazing songs ("Into You") but the last two have been mostly...fine.

They're all vibe. Not enough songs. Or even hooks.

Garrett L. likes this.
  21. irthesteve

sounds like this album

22. Garrett

Chris and Steve are both right.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  23. irthesteve

That's usually true

cshadows2887 likes this.
  24. Crisp X Jan 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Jan 14, 2020)
    Overall it's... fine, just totally forgettable. Look At Her Now's chorus has grown on me and it slaps. Vulnerable is great and the kind of sound I want her to explore. Samesies for Crowded Room, that reminds me of Cassie and mid-00's R&B in general. Kinda Crazy is an ASMR bop. A Sweeter Place feels right out of Kid Cudi's latest release, so I'm grateful for his presence. Nothing really touches When The Sun Goes Down, Stars Dance and Revival's highlights though, which is a shame as some of the latter (Me & The Rhythm, Outta My Hands (Loco), Good For You) and the recent orphaned singles (Bad Liar and Good For You especially) gave me hopes she would then come into her own musically.

That said, the comparison to Ariana Grande couldn't be more unfair as they are in totally different leagues. The latter has everything Selena hasn't, or might have had in the past but strangely didn't sustain along the way: range, personality, and charisma. She doesn't feel like a popstar anymore too. I know she weirdly considers this her second album, but it's a bit troubling how +10 years deep into her career, I still can't tell what makes a Selena song hers. Once again, I can't escape the feeling I'm hearing Julia Michaels' demos or other artists' cast offs.

It would make more sense to link her to Inna (her producer did Ring), Cheryl Cole, Alexandra Stan or maybe Rita Ora. Singers who often bring the bops despite being all over the place stylistically thus lacking personality.

Christian Romero likes this.
  25. cshadows2887

Selena has only now developed any vocal charisma, imo. Even her good early stuff didn't have any kind of personal stamp on it.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.