Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Seattle, Washington Location • Page 7

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheWater(s), Apr 9, 2016.

1. Arry Apr 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Apr 2, 2018)
    Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

stay in downtown or capitol hill if you don't drive. it might be spendy, but the lightrail connects you to the main parts of town. you could see if UW is cheaper since they just opened a light rail there.

key arena is a shitshow for traffic on major events, so i'd either go there a couple hours early and check out MOPOP (once called the EMP) and the space needle. They do cool pop exhibits, I think they have a Marvel one right now. or take the monorail (different from the lightrail) from Westlake Center to Seattle Center instead of driving/lyfting in.

Capitol Hill is fun for the youngings, minus the whole gayborhood disappearing cause of amazon gentrification part but they have cool shops and loads and loads of vegetarian options. you can check out elliot bay bookstore, the record store across from the bookstore, walk up and down pine for the shops. grab some ice cream from frankie and jo's or molly moon (or the new salt n straw depending on the line) and dog watch/homeless watch in cal anderson. there are loads of poke/pho/thai/ramen places on capitol hill. Honeyhole is a great sandwich place, they have a lot of vegetarian options. there's Plum, which is a spendy foodie vegan spot. I'd only go there if you wanna splurge. There is also the Starbucks Reserve up there, if you're sister is into Starbucks. It's the fancier Starbucks where they sell wine and other bougie shit. Capitol hill is also all walkable so it's easy to spend a day there. You could spend the day in Capitol hill > Walk or take the lightrail downtown > take the monorail to Key Arena

if you can, you can also try to visit Wayward Vegan Cafe near UW. Just really good vegan diner food, I go every weekend.

EDIT:
    omg i forgot portland doesn't have din tai fung. lol, go to din tai fung. it's a chinese dumpling place famous for their soup dumplings. it's like the only michelin star chain restaurant. they just opened one in pacific place downtown. the wait might be long but its goooood. you can get the veggie dumplings, green beans are a must, and the veggie rice cakes. i also get this every weekend lol

supernovagirl, Kiana and theagentcoma like this.
  2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

Oh man that diner would kill me. I love diner food so much and that's without having many options! Throw in a whole menu of stuff I can eat and I am in trouble!

Arry likes this.
  3. Arry

Lol girl, i feel ya. my gf and i have no self control. we always eat there and then get stuff to go to eat later

4. chris

Trusted Supporter

Wayward is extremely good as hell

Arry likes this.
  5. Kiana

Never realized how complicated it is choosing a hotel/air bnb in an area I'm not as familiar with. I thought prices would be more comparable to pdx but it seems a lot more expensive, tho that could also be cause I didn't book anything earlier. I wanted to leave on the Friday night before instead of Saturday morning cause I don't want it to be like wake up Saturday, drive 5 hours, be exhausted for show the same night, go home the next day without getting to do anything, etc. But with these prices I may have to which sux. Unless I'm just dumb and looking in the wrong places which is entirely possible due to aforementioned unfamiliarity with the area

Edit: lol I just realized it prob feels more expensive cause I'm used to splitting the cost with someone else but I'm paying for this solo

supernovagirl and PeacefulOrca like this.
  6. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Nah, it can be expensive and there's slim pickens at anything close to the main parts of the city. Maybe someone can school us both but that's my experience.

Kiana likes this.
  7. Kiana

Yeah I'm like weighing options of staying in further away neighborhoods or if the cost of an uber or public transport to where I need to go would cancel it out enough that I should just stay somewhere closer and more espensive? I honestly have no idea how the public transport rly works. Idk if it's like TriMet where there's an app to buy tickets and you just go? And I need to park my car so looking at places to stay that offer parking. The small town girl in me can't handle the idea of paying for parking lol.

PeacefulOrca and supernovagirl like this.
  8. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

There's no app, unfortunately, but we use Orca Cards for public transit (busses/light rail), and those can be picked up at a lot of retail/grocery places in the city. They work like an e-purse, so you'd just have them load the money onto it when you pick it up. Unless you're running at peak hours or are way far out, an Uber is gonna run $10-$15, probably.

supernovagirl and Kiana like this.
  9. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

What were you hoping to spend @Kiana ?
    When I went to Atlanta I definitely felt the struggle of trying to find somewhere close to the venue so that ubering wouldn’t be expensive but yet not so close that it was an expensive place. Hard balance to strong.

10. Kiana

Idk. I just know I haven't worked in 3 months and by the time the show rolls around I'll have maybe had 1 paycheck depending on when I start. So that is making me feel cheap lol. I totally did slip and forget I'm not splitting the cost. Ive never paid more than $100 in pdx but I was also splitting that with others I guess. Tho in pdx I'm more familiar with the area so I know where I can stay farther out where it's cheaper or good close neighborhoods for airbnb and where parking is by where I'm going, etc. Driving really stresses me out so I wanna avoid it as much as possible. I remember the last time I went to Seattle we made the mistake of driving places and paid an ridic amount in parking.

11. supernovagirl

Where is the concert at??

I feel you on not wanting to drive. I stayed in a place in capital hill that was $90 a night...almost 2 years ago so maybe prices have risen. Also this was a “whole guesthouse” type of deal so there should be cheaper if you’re cool with just a room. But deff recommend taking the light rail if possible

12. Kiana

The key arena. Which I def stayed in that area before but that was also like omg 7 years ago now??? So prices have def risen lmao which I should expect but stiiiiill

13. supernovagirl

Is that one of the places that the light rail station stops right outside of? I know it’s right by the stadiums hmm. Anyway I found lyfts to always be reasonable when I stayed in Seattle.
    Have you tried both Uber and lyft? Both of them have new member discounts so that’s what I did when I was there too!

14. Kiana

I have used uber but never lyft

15. supernovagirl

See if you get the right promo code to sign up with, you can secure very very cheap or free rides while you’re there!

Arry and Kiana like this.
  16. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

The light rail doesn't go to Key Arena unfortunately, closest it gets is to Westlake. I would also recommend an Orca card because free/cheap parking in Seattle is not a thing

Arry and supernovagirl like this.
  17. Arry

i'm sure one of us can give you a lyft code if you need one. What neighborhood are you looking in? Queen Anne is a neighborhood that's pretty close. you can walk to Key Arena from certain parts of Queen Anne. Also Magnolia is close and has some bus routes that will take you directly to Key Arena. Same with Ballard. I'd offer my place cause I'm usually never there but it is out of the way.

supernovagirl likes this.
  18. Kiana

Yeah that is where I started looking I'll just have to bite the bullet and pay more than I want. I'm just gonna have to buckle down and cringe thru the entire process lol, and stay 1 day less which sucks but oh well. I should've booked sooner but I didn't have a job then so what can u do

Arry likes this.
  19. Kiana

I booked something and a piece of my soul just fell off and died. I love Seattle and think it's amazing but I rly need artists to stop skipping pdx because they are destroying my wallet

20. supernovagirl

Someday I’ll have a place for you to crash at :girlhand:

PeacefulOrca and Kiana like this.
  21. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Heh. I'd offer up my place but idk if my roommate would appreciate an internet rando staying on the couch (no offense Kiana).

theagentcoma and Kiana like this.
  22. Kiana

Lol no worries I'm taking my lil sister so I'm extra protective myself

23. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Flying out tomorrow morning, first time visiting. What is something I absolutely have to do/see/eat/experience?

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Just in time for the good weather!

Take a ferry to Bainbridge Island! Check out the Museum of Flight or the Museum of Pop Culture! Go to the Zoo! Visit the Ballard Locks! Walk around Pike Place Market!

Also there are tons of breweries if that's you're thing.

jkauf and supernovagirl like this.
  25. GEM37 Jul 25, 2018
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2018)
    GEM37

She haunts the roads

If breweries are your thing - and you like cider - Capitol Cider in Capitol Hill is one of my absolute favorite places.

jkauf and supernovagirl like this.