Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Seattle, Washington Location • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheWater(s), Apr 9, 2016.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

tru, west Seattle is across a giant bridge so you'll need a car there. It feels like a totally different place over there.

Arry likes this.
  2. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Is the neighborhood itself walkable though? Cause that was a concern with Tacoma. Yeah, a lot cheaper, but only like two places we can really walk in.

Noted. Not gonna have a car when I move up there. What about north of Seattle and around the university? Need a walkable area with like, three or four bedrooms.

3. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

I don't want to have a car either so this is all good info

4. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

my friend says yes it's walkable. honestly, you're not going to find a decently priced place within the city limits if you want a nice 3 or 4 bedroom. i would suggest shoreline, which is about a 20-30 minute commute depending on traffic, but they have a lot transit that goes out there. it's not in seattle, but you get loads of better choices living-wise in the suburbs outside of seattle. if you want to live in Seattle, i would also look into Northgate. They're building a light rail out there and people are going to start moving there because of it.

i've lived in seattle for 9 years, and haven't had a car. i use car sharing services, like zipcar + uber and have been fine. but i've also been lucky enough to live within the city.

5. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Righteous, thank you. I'll look into all those places. Any other advice? XD

6. theagentcoma

Only tourists use umbrellas. Pedestrians have every right away on every street on every block, or they act like they do. Don't call it the Emerald City, call it the Jet City. Also, it's "Pike Place" not "Pike's Place." Lastly, Seahawks fans are super obnoxious.

7. Arry

invest in a good rain jacket. also it's capitol hill, not cap hill or capital hill.

8. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

I'm from Florida and don't use an umbrella. Last week I was informed that we had just experienced a tropical storm, I thought it was a normal Tuesday. "Rain" doesn't bother me haha. I already walk like that anyway so cool haha. I'd imagine any football fans will be obnoxious in their home city but it's whatever cause Seattle sports is what I got into sports with as a kid so I'm one of those fans already haha. Good to know about the names, thanks. Anything else? XD Comments on Tacoma?

9. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

If you have a car in most of these places mentions good luck ever finding a place to park lol I go record my podcast with a friend in Ballard and I always take like 30 extra minutes trying to park

10. Arry

tacoma is cool with me. a lot of people think it's ghetto or whatever, but there's some nice areas. traffic is terrible tho, I5 is always in construction around that area it seems. and i'm one of those obnoxious sportsball fans too. it's hard not to get caught up in the energy, it's fun.

and parking really is terrible

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. CarpetElf Sep 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 21, 2016)
    CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah, I've heard a lot about the crime and stuff in Tacoma haha. I'm not really worried about it. What was described as a crime filled area is like, where I live now. And I live in the safest neighborhood in Jacksonville haha. Construction can't be more inconvenient than where I am now so I'll be fine there too.
    Right? Crazy stuff happens all the time, it is very fun.

I imagine I will need to learn how to parallel park if I ever get a car again haha. They don't teach that in these parts.

12. theagentcoma

Damn Jacksonville to Seattle? Hell of a way to play Ticket to Ride

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  13. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Always wanted to move there. Always wanted to leave Florida. Makes sense haha.

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

100% recommend it then. Especially if it means leaving Florida /s

CarpetElf likes this.
  15. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Thanks meng! It was looking like we weren't gonna have enough money but we'll actually have way more than we thought plus another person we thought may stay is definitely coming so that helps a ton.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. clucky

Trusted Supporter

don't listen to this post literally everyone calls it cap hill

also as far as general Seattle nomenclature to know, calling "U Dub" anything other than "U Dub" will get you funny looks. ("Huskies" works too if referring to sports teams. But none of this "University of Washington" bullshit)

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Oh yeah, that was one of the first things I heard actually haha

18. Arry

nah man!!! it's capitol hill

19. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I call it Capitol Hill

20. clucky

Trusted Supporter

which parts of Seattle do you "Capitol Hill" people live? cause outside of the automated light rail voice saying "next stop: Capitol Hill Station" I don't remember the last time I heard someone say "Capitol Hill"

21. Arry

i lived on e denny and belmont for like 4 years! i've heard cap hill before, but majority of the people i've met calls it capitol hill

22. testtime

Regular

i live on capitol hill. broadway/republican area. But i'm leaving seattle for portland. 1 year in seattle is enough. but it's a beautiful city if you have a car.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. clucky

Trusted Supporter

I've lived here five years without a car without any issue. Granted, it limits where in the city you can live to more expensive areas but its an extremely livable city sans car

24. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

"U Dub" means Wisconsin though...

ChiliTacos likes this.
  25. Ben

Trusted Prestigious

So I'm going to the Cymbals Eat Guitars show tonight at Barboza on Pike Street and I'm wondering where I'm going to park. I'm not from the area, just in town for work. I see there's a Impark parking garage like right next to it but their website isn't exactly clear on pricing. It says $5/hr, $21 daily max, but then it also says $5 for evenings but doesn't specify what is "evening".

If anyone has any recommendations, please share!