Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Seattle, Washington Location

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheWater(s), Apr 9, 2016.

1. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I've lived many places in my life but Seattle is by far the best. Even if the Amazon boom is making my rent super high.

Discuss this beautiful city.

2. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Visited a couple summers ago and had atypical weather. Sunny and high 80's the whole time. No rain. It was unreal. I want to go back in November or something when it's at its worst. I really enjoyed walking around seeing what the city has to offer. The gin speakeasy was cool. Even Kirtland was a cool little town. I really want to go back. Would be cool to live there, but the cost of living there versus the Midwest is pretty steep.

TheWater(s) likes this.
  3. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I live in Tacoma, which, despite its reputation, is a pretty cool place as well. And much cheaper than Seattle.

GEM37 likes this.
  4. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Almost all my co workers live there. But I got stopped there in traffic for like 3 hours yesterday so I'm bitter at it rn

5. chris-wrecker

Trusted

Heading there at the end of the month for a baseball game and concert. Haven't been there in about 6-7 years. Any suggestions on things to check out? We wil be staying downtown.

6. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

What show/game you going to?

As for stuff to do there's the obvious of going to Pikes Place. Check all that out, go to Beechers and the first Starbucks if tourist shit is your thing.

Some cool record stores are Easy Street, Singles Going Steady and Sonic Boom.

I really love Green Lake Park, but to get a full view of the city Kerry Park is the best. Golden Gardens is amazing as are the Locks and Discovery Park.

Good bars/food:
    Shortys, Biscuit Bitch, CJ’s Eatery, Some Random Ba,r Grim’s Unicorn and my favorite Pine Box.

justinbullock and chris-wrecker like this.
  7. chris-wrecker

Trusted

@TheWater(s) thanks for the suggestions! We are going to the 1975 show on the 28th and the mariner game on the 30th.

8. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

I would like to move to Seattle within the next year or two. I loved Capitol Hill when I visited, but I'm worried it'll be too expensive in a few years' time if it isn't already. What other neighborhoods should I consider?

P.S. Joe Bar is probably the best cafe I've ever been to.

9. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Me and my wife are buying a house this summer and are looking at Shoreline, Columbia City, Greenwood and Lynnwood as opposed to directly in the city cause I gets so pricey. You can always find some great priced places if you look hard enough. I love Cap Hill though, spend a lot of time there.

10. i went out there a couple months ago for the first time! it was so great! i stayed in a hostel just a couple doors down from the Pike Place Market. such a cool city. i did all the touristy things, including the EMP museum. i was there for like 3 hours, haha. so much fun!

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  11. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

My home :heart:

Grown up here. Grew up in Bellevue (which is tremendously different now) and lived all over the area. Don't think there's another place that's as beautiful (but clearly, I'm biased). Like any area, it has its problems (homelessness, "the Seattle Freeze," traffic, etc.), but if you are going to move here or want to visit? DO IT.

TheWater(s) likes this.
  12. smoke4thecaper

Pretty much anywhere nice to live in Seattle is going to cost you. Columbia City is a nice area. Very gentrified, but easy public transit access (it's in what most people regard as the "rough part" of the city, however I have a few friends in that area and they love it). Queen Anne is great and has gorgeous views, but again, pricey. Greenwood is a really nice area just SW of UW. Green Lake is picturesque, most of the residents are young. Basically anywhere near UW will be bombarded by students, but might be a tad more affordable. Cap Hill & Montlake & S. Lk Union are too affected by Amazon to be reasonably priced unless you find a roommate.

Personally, I liked living in Shoreline. Still close enough to Seattle, but you don't have Seattle prices. The surrounding areas around the eastside of the lake are more suburban, but you can certainly find good deals on places if you have a car and are cool with being 5-10 miles out of the city. Still trying to figure out that public transit thing here.... lol

TheWater(s) likes this.
  13. justinbullock

Formerly Juice182

whats the reputation?

14. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

I just read about "The Seattle Freeze" today and I had no idea too be honest. I made most of my friends here since moving here a couple years ago and have loved it. But I can definitely see it. I love it here too though.

15. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

Moved here 8 years ago, and absolutely still love it. Where else can you drive 30 mins out of the city and be greeted by beautiful trees and landscape? I love the fusion of city life/nature. We're going thru a rent crisis, like every major city, but I hope in the future that they'll start regulating it. I'm still riding on my 2BD in the center of capitol chill for 1100, which is an absolute steal. I hope they never raise the rent.

But they are probably gonna raise it when my lease is up, so I'm starting to look for condos in the city. Maybe Beacon Hill or Northgate area, which the Link will extend to in 2021 (hopefully).

Favorite places:
    Revel for some foodie korean fusion, Japonessa (only HH and if I'm downtown), 663 for some cheap greasy drunk chinese food, Taylor Shellfish if I wanna grub on some oysters, Hula Hula if you wanna go karaoking, Q/Foundation if I'm in the mood to dance, John John's to drink and play pinball, St Johns on capitol hill that's never really THAT busy on a weekend, Redwood if I want a chill place to drink a beer and it's literally behind my building. There's so many other things to go, but that's usually my go-to.

adrian and TheWater(s) like this.
  16. smoke4thecaper

Taylor Shellfish and Japonessa :hearteyes:

Arry likes this.
  17. Arry

I've only been to the capitol hill location, but i would LOVE to go to the one outside of the city where you can shuck your own oysters

18. chris

Trusted Supporter

Portland ;-p

Forreal though I still need to visit Seattle, looks beautiful.

Arry likes this.
  19. Arry

we all know portland is seattle's step sister :)

20. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Japonessa is the best I went there yesterday.

21. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Also I lived in or around Portland for about 12 years and have lived in Seattle for almost 3 and I definitely prefer Seattle.

22. chris

Trusted Supporter

this is true

23. smoke4thecaper

While the city itself is terrific and beautiful, head 30-40 min out of town (whether by car or ferry) and you can find some truly amazing sights (similar to Portland). Much like Oregon, the state is divided into different regions, so every place you go is different in many aspects. That's one thing I love about living here: mountains, beaches, islands, city -- it's all here.

24. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

Moving to Seattle all the way from NC in the next month or two. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited :-)

TheWater(s) and smoke4thecaper like this.
  25. Arry

welcome! dont let the "seattle freeze" deter you

crunchprank likes this.