Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Searching for a Good Reason to Remove the Headphone Jack • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

Get ps4 so we can play Overwatch together. >-p

Kiana likes this.
  2. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The guy at Best Buy gave me the most judgmental look when I opted for the laptop with the disc drive thingy but it has saved my butt on more than one occasion lol

3. Kiana

I want one but I also want to pay my rent so it's a work in progress!

Dirty Sanchez likes this.
  4. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

I'll sell you mine in October for $175 or so if you want one then. (I'm gonna buy the souped up mid-generation refresh that will be $400-$500 prob :3 :x :cringe:)

5. Kiana

Dang $500?? I'm so cheap lol. Cause then I feel like games are pricey too. Being a gamer seems expensive! I won't buy ps2 games if they're more than like $15 on ebay haha

6. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

From the article:

"Apple’s quest for thinness requires that the headphone jack be sacrificed. That’s funny, the iPod touch is a millimeter thinner than the iPhone 6S and it’s got a headphone jack."

Surely, Jason Snell can't be that dense? The reason the iPod Touch can get away with being so thin is because it doesn't need as big a battery as the iPhone, since it's lacking the component that arguably uses the most power: The phone antenna.

So yes, if you were to make the iPhone thinner, you'd need to make up for the battery you lost, by, you know, removing the headphone jack.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  7. bloodinthesand

Regular

All the headphone companies will have to start making the cipher cable...it really is awesome for audeze headphones....plugs right into the port and has a built in amp and dac

8. The display uses the most power. I believe both have the same battery in them, but I'd have to check to be sure.

9. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

When it's active, no doubt. but the Antenna is on all the time while the display is on only if you need it. Still, I think we can both agree that not having that power drain helps the iPod Touch have a small battery. It's 1030mAh compared to the iPhone 6s' 1700.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

i'm down with wireless. less cords for my cat to ruin

11. Derek Wright

Regular Prestigious

I really wonder how this will all play out. I feel l like Apple will lose out a bit. I def have a huge collection of headphone that require that jack. & I love iPhones, so that's a bummer. I don't think it'll out way my purchasing the new one though.