Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Searching (Aneesh Chaganty, August 24, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

[​IMG]

Starring John Cho and Debra Messing. Also, the first mainstream thriller headlined by an Asian-American actor in Hollywood

2. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

This is getting some solid early praise, so maybe this will surprise some people

3. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

It's pretty solid. Gets a bit... silly (?) story wise but the gimmick works really well and it's surprisingly very moving at times. I had genuine tears like two minutes in.

4. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Two minutes in?! We have an UP situation on our hands?

stayillogical likes this.
  5. TedSchmosby

Trusted

The first shot — let alone the first sequence — had me tearing. Definitely rivals Up in that regard.

The level of craft on display throughout the whole movie is astounding. At least every ten minutes I would put my hand to my mouth and get butterflies in my stomach at something, whether it be a narrative beat or a manipulation of the found footage gimmick. Briliant movie.

joe.boy.fresh. and thedrudo like this.
  6. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

Enjoyed it thoroughly. Did feel it went a little off the rails towards the end but I suppose it had to. loved how it nailed that fake thoughts and prayers spread on social media, thought that was too real
    Saw this as a double feature with the Happytime Murders. Wow was that a piece of shit in comparison to this.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

this was better than I expected
    my stomach was in knots when it seemed like the brother did it
    also I’m glad that there was a happy ending cuz I couldn’t take much more Sad John Cho

also I found it kinda refreshing to see realistic texting/social media use in a movie, it’s a big pet peeve of mine when tv/movie characters don’t text like real people do

trevorshmevor likes this.
  8. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

I thought this was incredible. I actually felt the "gimmick" added a lot to the story. I was a lot more invested in the story and felt like I was very much on the same page as Cho's character the entire way through far more than if this had been shot traditionally.

secretsociety92 likes this.
  9. This was pretty damn great

10. trevorshmevor Sep 2, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 2, 2018)
    Hadn't heard of this until yesterday, but our local theaters are doing $5 movies all weekend so I watched some trailers and picked this. It feels wrong to say this was "fun" to watch since the subject matter is so dark and portrayed pretty realistically, but it really was. The gimmick was handled really well and the story was a straight up roller coaster through and through. Loved how they nipped the twist in the bud early on by showing Rosemary getting that award and whatnot. Her being the culprit came into my head a few times but was instantly cast away every time I thought back to David looking her up so early on. And those texts between David's brother and Margot... my heart was sinking like an anchor!!

Mrplum5089 and bradsonemanband like this.
  11. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Oh god when David's brother became a suspect, I nearly lost it

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  12. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

Loved this even more than I thought I would and my expectations were already quite high. Also glad this has opened in the US higher than Sony expected which it more than deserves and even though I saw at a small screen in my local cinema it was still mostly packed which surprised me. Hoping it makes a good amount of money here in the UK.

13. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Very surprising. Good movie.

14. Slangster

Won "Best Hog" at the Hog Shit Snarfing Contest Supporter

This knocked me on my ass a bit. Really great movie.

15. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

One of the writers/producers of this is actively commenting in the r/movies thread and I just think that's really cool.

16. TedSchmosby

Trusted

He goes on the screenwriting sub a lot too

17. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

There were a few minor things that took me out of this a little but overall this was real good.

jkauf likes this.
  18. Professor Plumbob

Trusted Supporter

Might be my favorite film of the year when all is said and done

19. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This was great.

20. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Wow this had me riveted the whole time. the slow reveal at the vigil was absolutely chilling

joe.boy.fresh. likes this.
  21. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

If Sony doesn't put this into more theaters in the US for the weekend then they are utterly mad as it has gone from fourth place last weekend to third on Tuesday and second place on Wednesday despite showing in the least amount of theaters in the top ten.

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

This could easily climb to number 1 with only Peppermint and The Nun coming out this week.

23. Pretty sure The Nun is gonna have a big opening.

24. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Yeah no way. The Nun is going to open p huge this weekend. Gonna be the biggest "Conjuring" opening

25. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I forgot that The Nun was part of the Conjuring universe. Searching could be number 2 though.

DrAlanGrant likes this.