Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Seahaven - Halo of Hurt (November 20, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Leftandleaving, Oct 28, 2020.

1. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I agree with what's been said so far but want to give this more of a chance since I liked Reverie Lagoon so much. This just feels a bit like Thrice/Brand New worship which isn't bad but it's not as original and I kinda grew out of that vibe awhile ago.

2. -deleted-

-

I don’t find this to be falling so far from the tree. Heavy resemblance lyrically and vocally to everything Kyle has done previously. Maybe minus screams which I think he did on two tracks a decade ago.

The musicianship here feels like a natural, mature progression. Less formulaic approaches to song structures, less power chords, less need for the “rock band” tracks and a full crank to the right on atmosphere and tone.

3. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I can see that too, but Reverie Lagoon was also an absolute mood. Atmosphere was cranked to 11 on that one. This one is atmospheric but darker and in a punchier way. I cant help but feel a little less immersed than I want to be. Gonna keep listening tho.

Fronnyfron and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I actually don't find this too derivative. I just don't think it's very engaging

5. congruence

Got a light?

This right now is blowing me away, granted I am very sad and have just been driving around on cloudy days blasting it. So many massive songs on here

6. congruence

Got a light?

They were always great songwriters since WInter Forever but the lyrics and instrumentation here is just massive, I can't think of any other way to describe it. Instantly imagining what this would be like live oh lord

smowashere likes this.
  7. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

This is excellent

8. flask

Trusted Supporter

The end of eraser needs to be longer. Feel like they could ride that groove for another minute.

9. I don’t think you could’ve put it better

10. congruence

Got a light?

Everything here is amazing but I am focusing more on the lyrics today and they are really well done, "Lose" is a fantastic song that originally wasn't one of the standouts but it really is an amazing buildup

11. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

To every one who said this was gonna be a grower - you were right. Ive become kind of obsessed with this right now

12. FloatThroughMe

Regular Supporter

Yeah I really like this. Weirdly enough this year was the first time I really got into Reverie Lagoon, so when this album was announced my hype went through the roof.

beachdude likes this.
  13. congruence

Got a light?

This is a masterpiece aside from like two songs I skip

Anthony_Soprano likes this.
  14. Still haven't finished this

15. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Maybe it's because I overplayed it when it first dropped, but Moon is my least favourite song on here by some distance

Onlyadirector likes this.
  16. Onlyadirector

Trusted Supporter

agreed! Moon isn't bad but the rest of the album is just marginally better.

17. -deleted-

-

“Heavy hearts hanging in the balance.”

so cliche and yet this is the only band that could make this sound awesome.

beachdude likes this.
  18. Finally giving this a listen after once on release day. It's definitely a weird record. Very well recorded and written and yet hard to fall in love with. Kyle's voice is still so unique. I think I just want more RL and "Find a Way," but getting something riff-heavy and moody instead is strange. It doesn't help that it makes me think of BN so much, which is not a good comparison these days.

I really, really want to love this record, but something is not clicking yet. I do love "Dandelion" and "Lose." It may still be a grower. I hated RL for a long time.

19. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

its clicking for me now. eraser is a helluva closer.

beachdude and Anthony_Soprano like this.
  20. Funny enough, I couldn't stop thinking about it this morning. Had a stressful day so far, and I've listened to the record twice more since last night and it's really matched my mood. I think it's clicking for me now. I do wish Eraser had a big closer, not the fade out.

21. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

This has really clicked with me. A fantastic record. I know Kyle has a weird voice but I really enjoy it.

The lack of standard structures (mostly) made this a little hard to grasp at first but it feels very rewarding after a few listens. Lose, Eraser, Bait and Void are my current favourites.

beachdude likes this.
  22. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Gave this a listen right after I spun my Reverie Lagoon lp yesterday (gorgeous record). Still, something kept me from fully investing myself in this new one. There’s something about Reverie Lagoon’s atmosphere that feels inspired, complete, wholly original. It’s strange then, even though Halo of Hurt is a much more dynamic record musically, it manages to feel less compelling tonally and texturally. I really want to like this album though. Will keep trying.

23. karcrashianpanache

hysterical and useless

Live session of the record. Does a lot for the general mood. I'm enjoying this more than the studio version, which I quite liked.

Anthony_Soprano, astereo and BigMouth like this.
  24. Oviedotiger

Regular

Really digging these too! After more and more listens I really enjoy this record, hopefully we get to see it live in person soon.

karcrashianpanache likes this.
  25. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious