Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Scott Russo from Unwritten Law • Page 3

Discussion in 'Official AMA Chats' started by Jason Tate, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

The big money is Delfinately gone from the industry for bands like us. But people can still make a living. This is all I've ever done. But touring and Merch is really the only way to do that now. Record sales help but not much anymore

2. Ben182TX

@TheBenThomas

Gonna go and get the physical copy of this album tonight. I love Unwritten Law so much...I wish your current tour with Fenix*TX would have stopped in Cincinnati while you were in Ohio!

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Nice trip back in time. Little different to the early days. And we didn't get kicked off this time

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Fox83

Trusted

I don't expect a response to this or anything, but I had a memory come out of nowhere. Maybe Scott will remember or at least appreciate it.

I was listening to Loveline on the radio years and years ago. UL was on there promoting Music in High Places. They played Rest of My Life on the air and Dr. Drew mentioned that the rendition had a timeless feel to it. He said it sounded like it could have existed in the 70's even. I don't know why that moment stood out to me, but I always think of it when I listen to that album. It was high praise. I doubt it stuck with the guys in UL at the time but it impacted me a bit as a listener.

5. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

We'll have copies :)

Raku likes this.
  6. Meltingplastic

Back in 2007, UL played Drexel University and you appeared quite inebriated on stage. This actually turned me off from ULs music especially with some of the comments that were made during that set. Since that time, have you gotten help for any additions you may have and how has that impacted your writing/style?

7. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

I don't remember much of that stuff these days but I know the song has stuck with people. We still play it at shows now.

Raku and Fox83 like this.
  8. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

We have our moments. You never know what you're gonna get. We always play as well as we can. But the road takes its toll sometimes

Raku likes this.
  9. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

We don't really sit around together and write like we used to. It's usually a few of us emailing ideas and then creating it that way

Raku likes this.
  10. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Not at all. That song is written in a way that I didn't even consider it a single, but our A&R guy told us it was a hit, and thank god he did!

Raku, Snewt and Jason Tate like this.
  11. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

We don't really play that one anymore but I love it just the same

Raku likes this.
  12. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Thanks for stopping by, I've been listening to you guys for over 15 years (which feels fuckin weird to think about) and I'm stoked you guys are still alive and kicking.

Anyways, If you were given your own tv channel, what kinda shit would you show on it?

13. Ben182TX

@TheBenThomas

I wish that Shallow would have made it onto this acoustic album too. It is my favorite song of your all's

14. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Alt-j

15. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

I play it some nights but it didn't fit with what we were trying to create

16. maxracer

sorry for the late post.... scott i really enjoyed listening to the new album stream. will likely pick it up. stay up

17. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Just wanted to say I saw you guys for the first time in Seattle last year. I know a lot of stuff went wrong on that show, but I want you guys to know I still had a blast! You guys were hilarious and handled it all really well! Good crowd, too...

I moved to LA at the end of last summer and got to see you guys open up this tour in Pomona, so thanks for being there in the transition!

Any other 'memories' of shows that didn't go quite as planned?

Thank you for all the awesome music!

Jason Tate likes this.
  18. Schooner

Trusted

Scott, how come you and Philthy Phil Jamieson never started a project together, I'm forever grateful for that Elva influence on Grinspoons New Detention album, you can hear it on it and it's my fave Grinners CD for it

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Sorry everyone, sound check happening. Might try come back and answer what I missed later.

Thank you everyone xx

Raku, Fox83 and Jason Tate like this.
  20. Thanks again for doing with with us @Scott Russo. Have a great show.

Raku likes this.
  21. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

I've noticed you censored the songs, most noticeably on "Save Me" was that because they didn't really fit into the whole acoustic aesthetic or was there another reason behind that?

Edit: Well, hopefully he comes back.

22. justastupidkid

Hi Scott, I've been to numerous Unwritten Law shows and consider you guys to be one of my all time favorites.

A couple of quick questions

Since the release of Elva, the line-up has undergone some significant changes. With Wade back in the fold, I'm curious what, if any, relationship you have with the previous members?

UL is pretty notorious for taking ages to release material. I know acoustic just came out, but any plans to release new music with the full band in the near future?

And finally something very esoteric. Back around the time of Mourning, your song Home In Paradise was used as the theme to a quickly cancelled TV show called the North Shore. I can't comment on the quality of the show, like apparently the rest of America, I never tuned in, but I'm enamored with that clip. A demo version of the song eventually surfaced (
    ) but the version that was in the show had some different lyrics and the most amazing lead in with a slide guitar (
    ).

Was a full studio version with that bridge ever recorded or was it just a 30 second touch up of something that didn't make the record that you used for the show?

Thanks for all the great tunes and great times over the years.

Schooner likes this.
  23. JulieLynn

Karma is the Guy On The Chiefs Prestigious

Just wanted to drop in and say hello to Scott!