Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Scott Russo from Unwritten Law

Discussion in 'Official AMA Chats' started by Jason Tate, Apr 5, 2016.

1. This chat and AMA will occur on April 7th, 2016 at 6pm (EST).

Scott Russo will be here to answer questions, chat with fans, and talk about the band's recently released album, Acoustic. Scott will be chatting under the name "Scott Russo."

Please make sure to abide by the forum rules, be respectful, and enjoy yourself.

UnwrittenLawAcoustic.jpg

Unwritten Law - Acoustic: In Stores Now.

2. I want to be the first to say thanks for doing this with us Scott. I've been listening to Unwritten Law for years now, I still remember putting "Cailin" on so many mixtapes back in the day. I'm glad the band's still going strong.

JimmyIymmiJ likes this.
  3. Coldon

Scott, thanks so much for doing this!

One thing I've been wondering about for years is your contribution to Blink's Dude Ranch. You're listed in the linear notes, but it doesn't say which songs you're featured on. I've been listening to this album for the better part of my life and I've always found myself trying to pick out your parts among the record's many harmonies and back-ups. Could you clear up this almost life-long mystery for me? What song(s) were you on?

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

Hey Scott. What happened to the drum kit you trashed at the Amplifier Bar in Perth? It was hired, wasn't it?

5. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

Not really much to ask, but it was great seeing you a couple weeks back in St. Pete. I was up front and center singing along and felt like I was 21 again. Thanks for a great show.

6. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Thanks Jason, you should hear the new version on the acoustic record, it's dope!

Raku likes this.
  7. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

I sang back ups and harmonies on a couple tracks on dude ranch. the only one I remember for sure was Josie

Raku likes this.
  8. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Drum kit was hired by hits and pits. The promoter never paid us or the company that hired us the gear. Now no one in Perth will give us gear

9. I'm a big fan of it. You gotta explain the shark on the album cover though. Hah, whose idea was that?

10. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Thanks for coming out Jimmy, Florida is great to us

11. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

What was the inspiration for wanting to put out an acoustic album? Loving the version of "Seein Red."

12. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Who are some of your favorite comedians?

I'm always looking for new recommendations on new comedy to check out

13. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Admittedly Scott I haven't listened to your band since Seein' Red was on the Grind soundtrack lol. But I am listening to the acoustic record right now on Apple Music since Jason posted you were doing this chat, and I am really enjoying it! Cheers.

Jason Tate likes this.
  14. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

All artwork is kind of a trick. Have you got the cd? You gotta see the whole thing including the Disk to get it

Raku likes this.
  15. I love that people still get into that song, it was huge like my freshman year of college.

Eric Wilson and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. I haven't yet. I'm one of those nerdy people that streams everything on Apple Music these days.

17. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

I wanted to put out something because it had been so long and people seem to love our acoustic side, it's become a staple in our setlist every night.
    But once I recorded just me and a guitar, I didn't think it was good enough for the fans or my legacy that I want to leave behind. So we started playing with the tracks. Jump to 2 years later and you get this record.

Raku likes this.
  18. Joe DeAndrea

Regular Supporter

Never listened to UL before. Checked out Celebration Song. I dig it.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

I love Amy schumer right now.
    We were listening to Adam sander in the bus last night too

20. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Listened to that song so much when it came out, and still love it. So good.

Jason Tate likes this.
  21. Joe you woulda been a huge UL fan if you were like ... 10 years older. Haha, I know you would be.

KissTheBottle and Joe DeAndrea like this.
  22. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Thanks, we tried to cover as much of our career as we could. People still ask why we don't do acoustic versions of stuff off blue room or oz factor but they just don't work

Raku and TheWater(s) like this.
  23. This is kinda a insider baseball question, but did you have to rename some of the tracks because of legal publishing stuff?

24. Scott Russo

Unwritten Law Verified

Word. Appreciate the love. It's a song we put out over 10 years ago, but very a different version

25. Hey Scott! Just wanted to say thanks for dropping by and doing this on the new site :-)

Having been in a band for 25 years, I was curious about some of the changes you've witnessed first-hand in the industry, Do you see more positivity or negativity in the music industry of 2016 compared to the music industry of the 90s?