Science/Engineering/Mathematics Thread

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by nothingsforeverdude, Apr 5, 2016.

1. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

was debating between politics and tech but this seemed like the better fit.

let's talk about science!

2. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

3. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

gonna tag some people that i remember from the science thread on AP. don't feel pressured to jump in if you don't want to, just figured you might not have seen this thread yet~

@Jacob @muttley @Ferrari333SP @T.K.

if there's anyone i missed feel free to tag them ofc

muttley likes this.
  4. sponsor
  5. muttley

"Fuck you, Peaches!" Prestigious

I'm not smart enough to understand this stuff, but count me in!

6. Jacob

Untrusted Prestigious

Followed. I've been working on other stuff right now instead of physics so maybe this can keep me somewhat updated.

7. Jacob

Untrusted Prestigious

Source: Could DNA Super-Charge the Digital Revolution? – Twist Bioscience

Really cool stuff. Remember reading a bit about this idea a while back, so it's neat to see it being put to use.

8. CoopDawg

They're obviously grilled... Prestigious

As a major in Computer Science systems and Applied Mathematics, I hereby sub.

Richter915 likes this.
  9. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

10. muttley

This thread is going to make me feel really stupid lol.

11. musicfan9795

This will be the death of us Prestigious

MET major subbin.

12. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

i mean, the experimental death of the standard model is pretty exciting to me. idk. agree that it gets too much funding relative to other subfields though.

13. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

Curious what you mean by that? As far as I knew, the LHC and all that would be adding onto the standard model. Is it just that the model is becoming too broad for it's own good?

The amount of funding that funnels into massive particle accelerators (and time for it's use for particle physics) is far too much. Like, quantum computing and other quantum technologies should be getting the money considering humans can, you know, use that information. No offense but in what way will the discovery of the Higgs Boson really impact us in the foreseeable future?

14. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

No way! I think it's so critical to have discussion from folks of all levels of learning. Honestly, if you have a question, chances are someone here has the same one...so bring it on.

muttley likes this.
  15. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

How does this fit better in politics than tech?

16. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

This thread was under Politics & Education on AP.net....should fit fine anywhere.

17. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

Just asking...Forgot there was an education forum on AP

18. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

If the diphoton excess isn't noise (and it very well could be, we'll most likely find out this year), it could represent an exotic particle that would be the first experimental evidence of beyond-the-standard-model physics. i think this is really exciting. the LHC is also looking at evidence of supersymmetry, which is a possible candidate for dark matter.

i know there's a disproportionate amount of funding and media attention that goes toward particle physics, and i do agree that it doesn't deserve nearly as much as it's been getting. but that being said, determining the worth of research by how it will directly benefit humans in the near future is antithetical to what science is about imo. we should be pursuing knowledge for the sake of knowledge. technological applications and inventions as a result of whatever physicists discover are wonderful, but getting closer to understanding how the universe works should be enough of a motivation in itself.

Richter915 likes this.
  19. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

at first glance, tech appears to be a forum where people share their social media accounts. politics is where most of the interesting discussion's at.

wish there was a library-type forum here tbh.

muttley likes this.
  20. musicfan9795

This will be the death of us Prestigious

Passed the CSWA exam today with 235 out of 240! Was ten points short of passing last time I took it.

21. Richter915

Trusted Prestigious

That does sound really exciting. The big limitations of the standard model are really gravity and dark energy/dark matter. I was concerned that whatever new particle is being observed would be along the lines of the Higgs and really just expanding the standard model. That's lame.

You're right, my comment was definitely short-sighted...especially when you factor in that my PhD thesis was purely based on calculating a physical mechanism of ion channel function...I provided no real utility to the medical field haha. There's a lot of attention that ought to be paid to fundamental and basic sciences, including the completion of physical models of the universe.

nothingsforeverdude likes this.
  22. muttley

Richter915 likes this.
  23. nfdv2

Trusted Supporter

fuck hep-th. i don't want to starve or go into industry.

switching to math & applying to a post-bac for fall 2017 admission in the coming months. hopefully can use that to springboard into a top 30-ish grad program so i can not starve and not go into industry.

Richter915 likes this.
  24. Jacob

Untrusted Prestigious

Really cool video/channel. Guy has some very intuitive arguments that actually help learn a lot. This video is fascinating.

mercury and nothingsforeverdude like this.
  25. sponsor
  26. CoopDawg

They're obviously grilled... Prestigious

When you construct a low-pass filter for a sinusoidal signal, are you passing the lowest five frequencies of the PSD or are you passing the first five values of the signal? Please I need to know! The fate of humanity rests on me making filtering signals!!!!!!

27. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

"transform"