Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Band • Page 9

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Likewise! :heart:
    You literally summarized my exact feelings on IDOTG. Also as far as I can tell the concept of IDOTG is loose; it's mostly about the literal genre tropes and lyrical subjects of the scene he occupies and how though they are flawed they still have value. Someone correct me if I'm wrong tho. I'll take later albums, s/t for example, over IDOTG despite the nostalgia of the latter. Lyrical flaws in s/t but not nearly to the extent as on IDOTG (imo!)

2. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

That idea is actually a great one. If the production isn't the same way too lofi thing as IDTII and this cleans up my lyrical misgivings, could be one of his better albums. The lyrics are a huge thing for me though

3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

According to Sherri, Max is planning on going with Will Yip for the next Say Anything record. I know a lot of people hate Yip, but his production is at least 10,000x better than IDTII's production so I can't even complain.

truelovewaits, SpyKi and Kuri44 like this.
  4. sukottokairu

Regular

that sounds like a cool idea! excited to hear a different lyrical standpoint for say anything

5. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Didn't he produce that album? Though I know if that's what the artist demanded, then that's what they demanded

Aaron Mook likes this.
  6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

It's about him going insane, meeting a girl in the mental hospital and then them going through a breakup.

EmmanuelSCastle and Aaron Mook like this.
  7. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

No, he just mixed it. I think Max and Darren King of Mutemath co-produced it. There's only so much you can do when the recording itself is like, a garage band quality recording though. So, I think most of the production issues in IDTII happened before mixing even began. Though, I don't know for sure. I've never heard Yip produce something as poorly as IDTII, and I genuinely love his work with some bands (Circa Survive, mewithoutYou, the upcoming Eisley record sounds cool) so I'm just going to hope Max doesn't request him to shitty up the production. haha

EmmanuelSCastle and Aaron Mook like this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah I thought Yip did produce it. Either way it was produced, and mixed terribly imo.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  9. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Hi max sorry I've been kind of a dick to you thanks for still being a cool guy

I like the idea of an album from another perspective

Benjamin Lee and SpyKi like this.
  10. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Always excited to get new say anything, also new perma soon apparently

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I need some more Perma.

Fletchaaa and Benjamin Lee like this.
  12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

??? I thought this was the original theme of IARB but nope that wasn't right. Thanks for the correction!

13. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Fuck yes. I've been wanting another full-on concept album (if any SA albums count, which I think they do). Love that idea.

Too lazy to reply properly, but I've never heard any other bands mentioned in reply to my post. Super stoked to give them a spin, though.

Also, hey, Max!

14. MegT585

Trusted

All this recent talk about In Defense made me go back and listen to it in full this morning. It made me so happy. I forgot how much I love some songs on there like "Spay Me" and "Surgically Removing the Tracking Device".

15. ChairMaster04

Took a shot at cutting IDOTG down to a one-disc album. I love it but always felt like it could be a lot tighter, especially on the second disc.

http://bit.ly/2kW1NrM

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  16. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

How do you guys feel about Baseball or the Dormroom Demos? I think a lot of Max's best work is hidden in there. Baseball's a surprisingly well done album, considering the age of those involved. It'll always be a favorite SA album of mine, tbh. I don't think he'll ever top "All Choked Up" for pure, raw emotion. Wosh he'd write more lyrically ambitious tracks again, like that or "Red Cat/Yellow Cat." I miss the Dylan inspiration.

17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

The All My Friends Are Enemies rarities collection is awsome. Max and I are roughly the same age and listened to the same music so his early stuff sounded like my high school bands, but way more creative.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  18. SpyKi

I love "Baseball, But Better". That's as early as I go really.

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Baseball is cool, plenty of filler but plenty of tracks are great songs. if it was like ten to 12 tracks, would've been really strong

20. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Your missing out SpyKi....

But a Fleeting Illness
    Signal The Rifleman
    Presidential Suite
    Slumming it With Johnny
    We Will Erase All Life On Earth
    Until The Bombs
    Keg is Bleeding
    The Man in Me (Cover)
    Signal The Rifleman
    Showdown at P-Town
    A Boston Peace

Some of my fav songs on there!

21. SpyKi

Slumming it With Johnny
    We Will Erase All Life On Earth

These were both put out after IARB no? The rest I haven't heard though.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

Ants in My Pants

23. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

When I first got into Say Anything all of my favorite songs were on the Menorah/Majora EP, which most are not my favorites now. But I still enjoy and appreciate a lot of the really early stuff

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

A lot of their early b-sides are gold. Slumming, Presidential Suite, But a Fleeting Illness, and We Will Erase.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Max just did an interview on the Noise Creators podcast. He explained what he was going for with the production of his recent work....Japandroids/Cloud Nothings lo-fi sound.......but I think he really misfired with the execution.