Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Band • Page 40

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. i really disliked Hebrews... but i was one of the few that actually enjoyed their latest album.

2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

The Matches are a genuinely good band, I think I can safely set nostalgia aside for them at this point and say that. E Von Dahl definitely is dated, and probably more of a “time and place” album for me, but the two that followed are genuinely compelling works that hold up to this day.

Edit: also, holy shit, the reality of ABIH being ten years old just actually hit me lol.

3. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Personal and weird kind of exactly describe Say Anything, ha. I liked the eccentricity on Hebrews, I felt that the strings kind of dulled the diversity of the songs and would love to hear it re-recorded with guitars. Really enjoy the album overall though and admire Max going out and trying something different.

4. GBlades

Trusted

I remember meeting Max at the Barrowlands in Glasgow about 10 years ago. We had a drink and chatted and he has been my favourite person since. It's like he evolved WITH me, even going on to write one of my favourite Marvel characters; Moon Knight. I'll be absolutely gutted the day they decide to disband or whatever but I can genuinely say that I adore every album they have made. With no exceptions.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  5. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I can't imagine it will be anytime soon unless people stop going to shows

Also is your username from name of the wind? One of my favorite books

CAC3 likes this.
  6. GBlades

Trusted

I know, Just know that time will come at some point haha.

It is. Kingkiller Chronicles is my favourite series so far. Glad to see a fellow fan!

Fletchaaa likes this.
  7. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Saying you want Hebrews with guitars should be a bannable offense.

8. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I have to admit, I’d be interested to hear it just out of curiosity, but I also think that it’s great already and doesn’t need it. It’s a great record that doesn’t get enough love.

9. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Haha yea I mean I'd listen to it obviously. It'd be cool to hear, but I also kind of like that the way to hear them that way is seeing them live. I just really love Hebrews so changing anything about it is a bad idea to me.

10. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

The older I get, the more I love Hebrews. I love individual songs off other albums more but it's thematically Max's best...maybe ever?

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I think it would be really cool if after their new album they put out a full band/guitar version of Hebrews. I would love a full band version of Judas Decapatation, and Push.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  12. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Hebrews is THE SHIT. I completely understand the common criticisms, but man, it is very much my shit.

13. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

I think it's time I revisit Hebrews

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. Just in case anyone here has miraculously missed it, it's from 2014, but Weatherbox's Flies in All Directions has always acted as a spiritujal successor to ...Is a Real Boy in my mind. The subject matter is similar but updated, the musicianship is every bit as unique, and Brian even sounds like Max at times. Legitimately cannot recommend that record enough to SA fans who love ...Is a Real Boy but have never been able to find a record quite like it.

15. GBlades

Trusted

There are a few albums that I usually spin right after IARB. Weatherbox is always one of them, as is You Me & Everyone We Know. Off the top of my head, that is. There are others but I can't remember. Recommendations welcome!

Dan O'Neill, Cameron and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I miss YMAEWK

17. GBlades

Trusted

QFT. I was listening to Party For The Grown and a few songs this week and there are none that I do not like. That band got progressively better and I'm gutted that there are no more songs.

Dan O'Neill and irthesteve like this.
  18. nohandstoholdonto

I got into Weatherbox bc they were so constantly compared to Say Anything, and Cosmic Drama is tied for my favorite album of all time. I still hear that comparison in American Art a bit, but tbh outside of that I don’t really at all anymore.

19. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I only hear it in the vocals, instrumentally and technically I think the Box is on another level. Both are v good at what they do tho (shakier on SA part )

20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

we ever gonna get this new album?

Cameron likes this.
  21. GBlades

Trusted

I'm always excited for a new album but then I end up going back to IARB and wishing that there was more.

22. nohandstoholdonto

even vocally, I feel like there are more differences than similarities between the two, personally.

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

This might be true; Max's vocals have changed and Brian's resembles most younger Max and at this point his newer vocal stylings outnumber the old

24. sorry, just thought i'd plug it in case someone hadn't heard the album. it's one of my favorites. didn't get into the band until flies in all directions and outside of my ap review, didn't realize they were constantly compared to SA when they were around.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  25. nohandstoholdonto

No need to apologize, there’s no harm in the comparison, I wasn’t trying to be antagonistic so I’m sorry if I came off as such.

Aaron Mook likes this.