Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Dan O'Neill

Regular

It sounds like modern Saves The Day and modern Say Anything had a baby. I love it, and I'm surprised that the sound is surprising some people.

2. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I'm mixed on modern STD and love modern SA. I just didn't expect this kind of a sound. It may grow on me, and I need to give it a proper listen, but I'm not thrilled on a first impression.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  3. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I really hope Max's new shit production thing doesn't bleed into Perma. Listening to Two of a Crime makes me miss good music from Max so much. haha

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I didn't like Two of a Crime much. The fact that it's way better than his 2016 output is depressing.

5. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I defended I Don't Think It Is to the max, but the production on this new Two Tongues stuff is inexcusably poopy

6. MrGrumlee

I love I Don't Think It Is and the production style worked for me on that record. I dig Azalea but I can't get into the other two because of the production. I hope the lo-fi garage thing is a phase for him that he's coming to the end of. I super enjoy the music he writes and I'd like to be able to listen to it.

Loved the production on the first Two Tongues. Was looking forward to some more crisp sounding music.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  7. timcsheehan

Regular

I always forget how dope Crush'd is. an under the radar top 5 SA song for me.

8. devenstonow

Noobie

It's grown on me so much since the album first came out; I remember before the release, it was one of the first songs Max played live acoustic, and it was awesome, but I was turned off by the weird synth.

Also, my dream is for them to do Cemetery with the original song structure, but full band.

Am I alone in considering the self-titled one of my all-time favorite albums? I stay away from ranking albums, but if I could, it'd probably be top 10, maybe even top 5

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The s/t is so good, and arguably their best album.

Kuri44 and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  10. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I think Is A Real Boy is objectively the best Say Anything album, but it's probably tied with Anarchy as my least favorite (not including IDTII, I'm just pretending that album doesn't exist at this point. haha)... In Defense of the Genre is my favorite though. the self titled is tied with Hebrews at 2.

11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

The self-titled is a lot better than even SA fans give it credit for. Explored their poppy side very skillfully, absolutely nailed a few tracks (Eloise, Cemetery are among their best ever), and made something accessible from a band who'd been built around quirkiness and mental illness up til that point. Why they chose Hate Everyone as the single is beyond me. It seemed like everyone in the band was working at their peak on the self-titled and then they came out with the flaccid dick that was Anarchy My Dear and its been a tough recovery.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  12. i like anarchy better than s/t

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  13. timcsheehan

Regular

Anyone know why In Defense isn't on Apple Music? All the other records are. I just switched from Spotify and it was on there. Weird.

14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

15. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

My biggest issue wit S/T is "Property" which is a really gross song, and my issue with IDOTG is song like the impossibly racist "Died A Jew" or the weirdly sexist "Vexed". Really no SA album doesn't have these faults.

If I had to pick IARB is my favorite

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  16. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

you do understand that he's not promoting the things he's singing about in Property, right? that's very important. that's not a song about how Max feels, and by listening to the song it should be obvious he feels the opposite.

17. CoffeeEyes17

Even still, it's kind of a gross sentiment. Not to mention the other songs mentioned

18. CoffeeEyes17

Also, don't appreciate the condescension lol. Obviously he doesn't mean it, doesn't make it any less gross.

19. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I remember when their self titled was first released I thought it was too straight-forward, too slickly produced, and not weird enough. Now, after what Max has been churning out lately, I'd go back to that sounds with open arms.

vidiviciveni and Aaron Mook like this.
  20. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I still love that album so much. Eloise, Cemetery, and Mara & Me being the standout songs

21. CoffeeEyes17

Cemetery might be the best song he ever wrote

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

None of this band's music has aged well for me, but I still jam to Belt, Girlfriend, & parts of the Self-titled and Anarchy.

Said it before on this site, but Burn a Miracle is underrated, methinks. @Aaron Mook, thoughts?

23. Yeah, I mean I think the whole album is underrated and it might have been better received if the mix didn't sound so awful. And I think there's some natural progression from the S/T as well as some more interesting stuff on there than people give it credit for, but that's just me. And actually, I think I might give the record a spin tonight haha

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  24. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Hebrews was such a good comeback and I while I didn't crap on anarchy like a lot of people did when it came out it's probably the album I listen to the least. I Don't Think It Is has grown on me a lot too but I hope he goes a different route instead of the lo-fi production or whatever it is on the next album.

I think Two Tongues Two is probably the most disappointed I've been by an output by Max, but there is still some good songs there. Wish I got to hear them live, they should have did a Two Tongues set when they toured together.

Looking forward to whatever he puts out next, Perma I think? Also anyone listen to Defeatist from Eisley? Songs great so I'm a little hyped for their record and I've only ever liked a few songs by them in the past.

Anti-Counter-Culture and Cameron like this.