Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything Band • Page 11

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Apr 6, 2016.

1. sukottokairu

Regular

i really love Hebrews, the no guitar experiment is really cool, and the production is fine, my only problem with the album is how unrelateable the lyrics are, and some cringeworthy moments ("swastika!! swastika!!!") in otherwise great songs.

2. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I love John McClane

more than I do most songs

that's about it for Hebrews

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.
  3. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

^I feel exactly the same way. I love John McClane, can't stand to even listen to any other song on Hebrews. It's not the no guitars thing, I just think the songs are bad.

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I'm actually kinda in the middle with Hebrews. Overall though it's much better than A,MD & IDTII.

5. MegT585

Trusted

Push is on Hebrews and that is in my top 3 Say Anything songs ever. Gives me chills every damn time.

6. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Hebrews is definitely in my top 3 SA records, I don't know if I'd put it above self-titled, but it's close. John McClane is better than a lot of songs off IARB even, and if the last minute of that song into that roaring synth intro on 666 doesn't make you feel things, then idk man get your head checked.

7. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Six Six Six is the only song I don't love on Hebrews and even that has a fantastic ending.

8. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I adore Hebrews. It's such a cathartic album.

9. Aaron Mook Mar 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    ...Is a Real Boy
    In Defense of the Genre
    Hebrews
    Anarchy, My Dear
    Say Anything
    I Don't Think It Is

My only hot take is that Anarchy is more interesting (to me) than S/T. I still think that album is overproduced and lackluster, despite having some wonderful moments.

10. SpyKi

Cemetery and Ahh.. Men alone put the self titled above Anarchy for me.

11. Aaron Mook Mar 29, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2017)
    "Cemetary" for sure is one of their best tracks and the tracklist for that album looks better than I remember, although I still can't stand "Less Cute" or "Young, Dumb and Stung." I guess I just never fully understood the hate for Anarchy. The mix is pretty rough, but the songwriting is as close to ...IARB as Max has gotten and the only song there I really don't like is "Sheep." I think "The Stephen Hawking" is one of their best songs

12. devenstonow

Noobie

I must be alone in thinking that self-titled is not just my favorite SA album, but one of my favorite albums ever.

soundtrack for my HS years

Cameron likes this.
  13. SpyKi

I like "Less Cute" more than almost anything on Anarchy. "Admit It Again" is IDTII level bad. I think "Night's Song" is the only really great song on Anarchy and even that's weak compared to the best songs on any other pre-IDTII album.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  14. angrycandy

I was with you until you said Night's Song was weak compared to their old material. I feel like it's just as good

15. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

"Admit It Again" might be the worst song they've ever written from IARB on. IDTII had a lot of bad writing, but at least it came from a place of attempted creativity rather than a G-rated botchery of their most praised material.

IARB
    Hebrews
    Self-Titled
    IDOTG
    Anarchy
    IDTII

Ranking IDOTG is really hard, because while it has some of their best songs, there is more fat to trim off of that record than maybe any other I've ever heard.

16. SpyKi

I think it's a great song but I don't think it reaches the heights of their best songs. It's like an 8.5 instead of a 10 for me.

angrycandy likes this.
  17. angrycandy

fair enough

18. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

John McClane has maybe my favorite ending of any SA song. "And if ya want, stumble home with me boy. I'll be the Ripley to your John McClane"

The S/T might actually be better than IARB it feels like quintessential SA to me.

angrycandy and Joe4th like this.
  19. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Just ran through Hebrews again because I felt like maybe I never gave it a fair chance. Still don't like it at all, but there is stuff to like here. It has really strong/catchy hooks all over, but man every single song has a moment (or several) in it that makes me want to die. The "dethrone god" stuff in 666, talking about his bulge in judas, SWASTIKA SWASTIKA in Kubrick (most of this song is weirdly violent/offensive actually). The chorus of Hebrews is really catchy but lyrically, its appropriation at best and drastically minimizing the struggles of minorities at worst. Push gives me nightmarish visions of max screaming at his wife while she's in labor. I don't want to get into Nibble Nibble.

I love John McClane still, and think Lost My Touch is the best he's done at this self-aware "my best songwriting days are behind me" style he's been milking for the last three albums. And all of these songs are really catchy! Just wish they didn't make me cringe so hard.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  20. SpyKi

The dethrone god bit is easily the best part of 666.

21. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Yep, THESE are my main issues with Hebrews. We can overlook being a problematic person and saying dumb things here and there, but to be pretty outwardly bigoted and minimizing minorities and the.....creepy implications of the closer are kind of toxic and I'd hoped max would be above that but there could possibly be an argument to be made that Hebrews is him exorcising his twisted thoughts a la Pinkerton or even IARB but I think a line gets crossed on more than a few occasions. This isn't the first time he's flirted with this (Died A Jew, Vexed to an extent, Every Man Has A Molly) so idk I'd like to hear a discussion on this in a friendly manner since it's a interesting dilema. I like max and I like SA, but sometimes it's hard to justify listening when he has a fairly problematic resume.

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  22. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Went to listen to In Defense Of The Genre just now and it's not on Apple Music!

23. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I was kind of into IDTII last night? (Other than Princess and Vericose veins... those are without a doubt the 2 worst Say Anything songs)

I think moving on from the initial disappointment helped a bit.

truelovewaits likes this.
  24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

25. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious