Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything to Retire “Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too” From Live Show

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Max Bemis has decided to retire “Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too” from Say Anything’s live set:

Gotta sound in. I was a naive kid when I entered “this scene” at 19 and found out that a lot of people I knew of or looked up to repeatedly cheated on their spouses and girlfriends, hooked up with underage girls, etc. It has been heartbreaking and continues to be jarring as someone who I hope is different. It makes me question even the mutual not-coerced of-age interactions I’ve had with women during my youth. We should all question the dynamics of sexuality and our role in this.

That being said, I’ve never and would never cheat on my wife or betray my family and that is also a form of emotional abuse I see perverted by many people in entertainment as well as other obvious creepy shit. Given all of this, I’m going to be retiring the song Wow I Can Get Sexual Too for the foreseeable future. It may speak partially of my flaws but mostly a sarcastic caricature of someone I’ve never been at all and is no longer appropriate during this crisis.

2. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I love this and respect the shit out of Max.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Thank you, Max, for shining a glimmer of hope in this scene....and for finally getting this song out of the setlist. I’ve never been a fan of the song and felt like it only brought down the quality of IARB.

4. Jason Tate Nov 11, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 11, 2017)
    (It wasn’t on IARB.)

Larry David and littlejohn like this.
  5. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

My bad, WARB (re-issue?).

6. gbuffers

England.

I can't believe that song still makes it on to Say Anything setlists.

Could have retired it quietly but I suppose it draws more attention / relevancy to him this way. Good on him.

7. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Yeahi believe it was on the B sides or deluxe version they re released a year or so after the albums original release

8. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

He might have felt like he needed to say something because his wife used to date Jesse and she could have been emotionally abused by him due to this stuff.

9. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Too bad. It's a great song.

AllenRicketts likes this.
  10. TDenverFan

Regular

It's also their second most played song on Spotify. I think a lot of people would notice if it was just cut out, so an announcement makes sense.

11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

But he'll still play one about concentration camps. :shrug:

12. fame

i thought this was chorus.FM?? Prestigious

..i mean he is jewish..

13. Turkeylegz

Trusted

I am incredibly bummed that both Cleveland dates are sold out. I never thought Max would be the guy I looked up to in times like this, but here we are.

FreshnessExpired likes this.
  14. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Yeah, I don’t see anything wrong about writing a fictional love story centered around his grandparents while they were in concentration camps. It’s not like he is turning it into a joke or anything and could help him when thinking of such a tragic event.

I just wish the tour wasn’t when my spring semester starts. I won’t know if i’ll be able to make it until I get my schedule.

Mr. Serotonin and Turkeylegz like this.
  15. As others have pointed out, this post seems weird to me as it is 1) unrelated 2) Max is jewish and 2) it's a semi-biographical song about his grandparents who are actual Holocaust survivors.

16. CyberInferno Nov 12, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 12, 2017)
    CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

Just looked up the music video for this song. The Fonz is in it. Pretty random lol.

From the latest celebrity issues, it sounds like it would be more appropriate to retire this song if it was, "I called her on the phone and I touched myself," instead of her touching herself. Kind of bummed that this song is being retired, but I totally get it and respect the band's decision.

EDIT: If anyone wants to see a live, acoustic rendition of this song sponsored by absolutepunk.net (among others), see below. And I'm not insinuating or implying anything by this statement. I just think it's kind of fun to see the old logo pop up every now and again.

Turkeylegz likes this.
  17. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

I think this is a very nice gesture. I don't always see eye to eye with Max, but this touched me. It might seem silly to others, but examining your own words and things you used to find funny and deciding to grow away from them is a big step.

18. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

Not even remotely comparable contexts.

19. ZeoVGM

Regular

... You honestly think this is anything remotely similar?

20. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

more bands from this era should and need to do this. we all understand at this point that bands might have written problematic lyrics when younger, but how they handle them later on is the sign a good and understanding person

21. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

:crylaugh: really?