Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - Oliver Appropriate (January 25, 2019) Album • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

Slumming it With Johnny is one of the best SA songs and one of the best bsides i’ve heard

Dan O'Neill and Aaron Mook like this.
  2. "We Will Erase All Life On Earth But Us," too

CAC3 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  3. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

All the IARB era b sides are great

CAC3 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

All Choked Up just gets me right in the feels.

Dan O'Neill and Aaron Mook like this.
  6. withchappedlips

#nothingiseasy

It’s so frustrating how Max has continuously taken advantage of his fan base and it seems like this was the first instance I really noticed a lot of backlash for it. But seriously, pay the artist. I don’t care if this is an opportunity a lot of them wouldn’t traditionally have- you’re profiting off of it, they should see money as well.

7. MegT585

Trusted

I paid 200 plus dollars for a personal phone call from Max along with a “limited print” from the new perma album designed by Sherri and Max on their kickstarter. I never received the print. I emailed them about it with no response. The phone call we had a date set up and he didn’t call me like he said he would. I had to reach out to people working for him to get a call. I have a say anything tattoo on my arm which I’m getting covered up in the near future. Max used to be my hero and favorite and he has broken my heart and made me see their whole family in a new light this past year. It’s hard for me to think about. Now this whole T-shirt thing and just profiting even more off your fanbase? It’s really sad.

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’m sure they pay plenty of artists who do their merchandise. This just seems like a harmless way to get fans involved, and to give out some tix??

brad4846 likes this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Now this is bad though

CAC3, Dan O'Neill, MegT585 and 3 others like this.
  10. Dog Fish

Mutt

Kickstarter for the new Bemis family house

vidiviciveni and Maybevictor like this.
  11. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Design contests in general are a bullshit way to get free work, doesn’t matter who’s organizing it.

12. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

It’s amazing how he’s managed to do something dumb that gets him dunked on pretty much once a month in the recent months.

Funny how he thinks he can charge people for GarageBand demos, phone calls, and compilations of songs he made for other people (he can, no qualm with that), but isn’t interested in paying someone else for *their* art. He could have done exactly what he is doing and paid them their rate.

jpmalone4, Nick and slowheart like this.

13. Why pay someone when you can give them free tickets and allow them to keep ten shirts

BirdPerson and Jason Tate like this.
  14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Plus the fan will get his/her artwork seen

15. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I may be biased because I am a photographer, but “work for exposure” is the biggest load of horseshit ever as far as creative work is concerned.

16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

....but they’re also giving this person prizes

17. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Wow this is a bummer to read and I can only imagine how infuriating it was to deal with this. I'm really done with Max, I wish he would go away.

Vase Full Of Rocks and MegT585 like this.
  18. Seems ripe for @forexposure_txt

19. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Someone in the replies claims that max’s team sent out some emails about this and were told to get bent. I don’t know that I believe it, but if it is true I would LOVE to see those emails exposed.

20. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

To be clear I think his whole song shop/phone calls/shout out pay wall thing is realllll iffy, and shady. This though to me didn’t seem that harmful. Though now seeing how it could take advantage of the artist. Yeah it could be taken pretty poorly.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  21. Wow just read the replies. Just brutal.

sophos34 and Maybevictor like this.
  22. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Yeah, somehow got dunked on worse than the transphobic fiasco. Between the “pay your artist” people, the “you haven’t delivered my song shop / Kickstarter” crowd, and the “you took 40k over the ask on Kickstarter” replies he really ought to just delete the tweet and his account

I think besides the ridiculously unfair capitalist aspect of this (which is pushed on by a weird power dynamic), it is also a big deal because young creatives internalize this type of exchange. They begin to think that their work is not worth selling yet and that they must improve and keep giving out work until it is worth something.

Plus it makes him a huge fucking hypocrite when it comes to the song shop and Kickstarter thing. When I interviewed him almost 10 years ago he was so emphatic about song shop being a way to empower him as an artist and give his art value. This goes directly against that.

dadbolt likes this.
  23. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I started being suspicious of some of the stuff Perma/Say Anything/Eisley did after Eisley tried to get fans to pay $100k for them to get a tour bus. Between the Song Shop scams, their home Kickstarter and this, they’re coming off off like that couple that always has a new grift.

vidiviciveni, dadbolt and MegT585 like this.
  24. MegT585

Trusted

I was going to go see the solo tour in October despite how much he has hurt me but reading all of these comments and seeing that I am not alone, I think it is time to just totally be done with Max and his family.

25. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

If you win. If you’re not the winner, you wasted your time and energy.