Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - Oliver Appropriate (January 25, 2019) Album • Page 56

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 16, 2018.

1. I saw Max Landis back in the news today and was like 'what's the dude from Say Anything done NOW?' but then I remembered I used to get Landis and Bemis mixed up quite a bit a while ago. They're both pieces of shit now anyway.

2. mattfreaksmeout Feb 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2019)
    mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

It just seems a little aggressive to call him a piece of shit. He's got a lot to learn, he can be ignorant and problematic, but I don't question that he has a good heart and means well in this world, and it's also clear he's been going through a lot the last year, and that doesn't excuse problematic behavior, but I'm not going to write him off as a human being either.

3. vidiviciveni

Trusted

People on this site love to call out basically any person aside from themselves as a piece of shit

I prefer to just out myself as a piece of shit up front and hope to learn something along the way instead of deflecting everything like I've already got 100% perfectly formed opinions

4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'll edit this into a gif or something, but this is me when looking at everyone else and the world around me.

stars143 likes this.
  5. BackwardsWalker

Regular

With Weatherbox releasing a new song today, I’m reminded that their album “Flies in All Directions” was sonically/aesthetically/musically the “...is a Real Boy” follow-up I wanted. It came out a couple of months before “Hebrews” which allowed me to be less disappointed by it (I actually really like Hebrews, but still wish it was recorded with guitar/bass versus strings).

All that aside, “Oliver Appropriate” feels like a fully realized album and I have found myself revisiting it more than I imagined.

For the sake of it:

1. ...is a Real Boy
    2. IDOTG
    3. Say Anything
    4. Hebrews
    5. Oliver Appropriate
    6. Anarchy, My Dear
    7. I Don’t Think It Is

Pre -...is a Real Boy stuff ranks pretty high for me as well.

6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

A fan of Hebrews is a friend of mine.

7. Devin Sunshine

@devinsuunshine

i love say anything :ok::hearteyes:

if you like them check out this playlist for classic say anything songs and other pop punk/punk rock music

8. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

I'll just add to the bands like SA... You, Me and Everyone We Know, Microwave, Manddancing, Shining Through, Sorority Noise, Oso Oso, Pet Symmetry, Hot Rod Circuit, The Wonder Years, All Get Out, Backwards Dancer, Manchester Orchestra, Front Bottoms, Moms. Jeans, Tiny Moving Parts, Free Throw, Remo Drive, Whale Bones, Spraynard, Steady Hands, Mewithoutyou, Trophy Eyes. In some capacity or another my ear hears similar sounds.

Ludo was a band I totally forgot about it, I remember hearing one album and kind of thinking I wish that's the direction Max went.

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’ve been meaning to check out Backwards Dancer. They sounded p good on the IDOTG Anniv show.

10. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

lol most of those definitely don't sound like SA but I'll definitely give you Weatherbox and YM&EWK

vidiviciveni and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  11. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

1. say anything
    2. ...is a real boy
    3. oliver appropriate
    4. hebrews
    5. IDOTG
    6. anarchy, my dear
    7. i don’t think it is

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  12. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I’m really starting to enjoy this album. It’s a shame Max has been so problematic on twitter, and the concept of the album is also problematic/gross.

Cuz this is honestly the most I’ve liked a SA album front to back in a long time. Hebrews has some great songs, but there’s also a lot I don’t care for. Again I’ll reiterate that Max has always done an excellent job of not repeating the same album. Each release is different, and varied. The IDOTG anniv show I saw was also one of the most entertaining live shows ever. I’m really gonna miss this band. They meant a lot to me from HS to College.

13. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Say Anything rankings are fun, because I’ve never seen the same list from two different people. Such a good discography.

Fletchaaa and Kuri44 like this.
  14. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

Is a real boy
    Say anything
    Oliver Appropriate
    IDOTG
    Menorah / Majorah
    Anarchy My Dear
    Hebrews
    I don't think it is
    Baseball

Idk if I'd even make the same list twice lol

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  15. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I wasn’t gonna do it but I am now:
    IARB
    IDOTG
    Hebrews
    S/T
    OA
    A,MD
    IDTII

SpyKi, Fletchaaa and Dan O'Neill like this.
  16. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

M/M ep>>>>>

Aaron Mook, Dan O'Neill and Fletchaaa like this.
  17. manoverboard365

Trusted

Is a Real Boy
    Say Anything
    In Defense of the Genre
    Anarchy
    Oliver
    Hebrews
    I Don't Think It Is

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  18. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Is a Real Boy
    In Defense of the Genre
    Hebrews
    Say Anything/Oliver
    Anarchy
    I Don't Think It Is

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

IARB
    S/T
    IDOTG
    Anarchy
    Hebrews
    Oliver
    IDTII

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  20. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Hell yea!

21. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I am apparently the only one

...Is A Real Boy
    Say Anything
    In Defense of the Genre
    Oliver Appropriate
    I Don’t Think It Is
    Anarchy, My Dear
    Hebrews

Dan O'Neill and TriangularDuck like this.
  22. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Is a Real Boy
    S/T
    In Defense of the Genre
    Oliver Appropriate
    Hebrews
    Anarchy
    I Don't Think It Is

23. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

I'll also be the only one for this

IARB
    S/T
    Hebrews
    Oliver
    I Don't Think It Is
    In Defense of the Genre
    Anarchy

24. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Sooooo I'm not sure how to feel about this. It's from 15 years ago but it is really cringe-y. But also, I have no idea what I found funny or how shitty my views were in 2004.

Old Posts Saved From The Say Anything Website Written by Max : SayAnything

EDIT: Seems fair to post his response

hey y’all, Max here. for those who aren’t raging Long Island emo fans who will hate me no matter WHAT I say, I specifically remember writing that stuff utterly manic (wiki Bipolar Disorder if you don’t get what I mean by “having a manic episode”) and was committed several times during the “weird max rant” phase.

I did and said a lot of weird terrible things that I apologize for, including anything contained in these max-Proto-tweets-from-hell. However, while I most certainly experimented and had a brief slutty dude period around 19-20 years old I met my wife a couple of years later AND I assure you I had not taken part in any illegal, heinous behavior as referenced and was probably trying and failing to make some weird philosophical point at the time. Grain of salt needed coming from a stoned dude who had the delusion he was being attacked by cannibals probably within that month. I stick by any statements I’ve had that cast “judgement” on dudes in their 30’s getting jiggy with teenage girls. But that’s not me. Excusing it, even if I wasn’t in my right mind is something I can’t do. Heck I even apologize for the manslut period because, as I have said before, I’m sure I hurt a few people’s feelings without meaning to. So very sorry if this hurt anyone but yeah, def. the ramblings of a madman.

Sorry for the offense (as old as this stuff is) and for not having my mental shit together before I was erroneously given an internet voice.

Xo m

25. Dan O'Neill

Regular

1. Is A Real Boy
    2. Hebrews
    3. Baseball
    4. Oliver Appropriate
    5. I Don’t Think It Is
    6. In Defense of the Genre
    7. Anarchy, My Dear
    8. Say Anything

I love them all, so my bottom half fluctuates greatly. The top few are definitely set in stone though.