Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - Oliver Appropriate (January 25, 2019) Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Reranking Max projects is fun:

Is A Real Boy
    In Defense of the Genre
    ---
    Say Anything
    Two Tongues
    Hebrews
    ---
    Baseball/All My Friends Are Enemies
    Was A Real Boy
    Anarchy, My Dear
    The Painful Splits Are Multiplying
    The Painful Splits Destroy
    ---
    Painful Splits 2
    Painful Splits
    ---
    Two Tongues Two
    I Don't Think It Is
    Punk Goes Crunk

2. GBlades

Trusted

Get Perma ranked in there, just for fun! I haven't listend to Painful Splits Wins yet either.

3. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Never heard either of them! Or don't really remember the Perma album if I had heard it.

4. jorbjorb

7 rings

S/T will always be my favorite.

Petit nain des Îles and justin. like this.
  5. Mikeydude91

this album never got a love, but damn its got some of my favorite SA songs on it.

6. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Song's alright

7. Really into this

8. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

a lot of people talking about him continually talking about IARB/trying to make a sequel or follow up to it:
    I think when you basically start (i know he had demo albums before, bear with me) your musical career with a crazy massive hit of an album (contents of which were about and written by a very unwell person) and then after that you have everyone in your life/fans/critics telling you that the following albums arent as good,

I see how that could have a PROFOUND effect on your mindset/feelings re: the band. (Also hasn't he not done 2 tours where he played it in full, and they sold way better than their other tours of late?) I think for him its probably impossible NOT to think about it that way.

9. Reach for the sky!

You are a sad, strange little man. Prestigious

Yeah, that Perma record deserves major love. As a big fan of the Carryin' On album that Johnny Cash and June Carter created, I can't help but compare the two. Good shite.

GBlades likes this.
  10. Kuri44

Here for the Perma love. Two of a Crime and Lets start a band are great songs

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  11. Reach for the sky!

You are a sad, strange little man. Prestigious

Now that I think about it, I absolutely adore that Perma album. Think it's perfect. Torch Song is an unbelievable closer. Absolutely heartbreaking he's calling it quits with Say Anything but since he confirmed more Perma stuff on the way, I'm stoked.

local_corn likes this.
  12. GBlades

Trusted

Two of a Crime is just a beautiful cringefest and it's absolutely fantastic.

13. Jakobindeed

My Whole Life is Thunder Prestigious

I saw them do perma songs on that acoustic tour he did forever ago and holy goodness it was the worst half hour of my life, I was so sad two of my favorite musicians could make such a bad thing together

14. radiodead

Trusted

IARB and I Don’t Think It Is are their 2 best records.

There’s a great record within IDotG

Don’t care for anything else.

Edit: Forgot Hebrews, I really like Hebrews

IARB/IDTII/IDotG/Hebrews

Edit 2: I guess I like SA more than I thought.

Dan O'Neill and monrovian like this.
  15. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

lol wut

16. I like all of the Say Anything records but all of them have a handful of issues. IARB doesn’t hold up at al lyrically once you turn 18, IDOTG is bloated, Hebrews is a sonic nightmare despite some excellent ideas, etc.

The exception to this rule is I Don’t Think It Is, which is just outright bad and the only thing Max has ever released that I got 0 enjoyment out of.

17. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

If that's how you look at music, that's sad. If you're looking for technical perfection, Say Anything isn't your band. If your looking for passion, they got a good deal of that, and I think that's what attracts such a strong following.

One of the great things about the band is they are willing to take risks and swing for the fences. I don't always like the risks, but it's worth it rather than being a run of the mill pop punk/rock band.

18. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Song would be better with electric guitars ripping.

19. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

Self-titled is a great record.

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I don’t understand how y’all didn’t learn to tune out max’s descriptions of his own music after the anarchy press cycle. dude just doesn’t seem that in touch with what he’s actually doing musically. which is fine that doesn’t mean what he’s making is bad. he’s just remarkably bad at describing his own music. a lot of artists are but his constant need to compare everything he does to iarb undoubtedly makes it worse

21. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I can see how he is relates the sound of this to Warning, though. Obviously Warning is much more pop influenced, but I can see where he was going with that.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

this is a great and accurate ranking i think

Matt Chylak likes this.
  23. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

maybe i'd add the s/t to the top tier, it's what i immediately reach for when i'm in a say anything mood these days

24. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I loved that first TT album. It’s been a long time too since I’ve heard it. May revisit it this weekend.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  25. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yeah the s/t is still my fav.