Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - Oliver Appropriate (January 25, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GBlades, Aug 16, 2018.

1. GBlades Aug 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2018)
    GBlades

Trusted

Say Anything is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California. The band was formed in 2000 by Max Bemis and his friends.

Say Anything will release their concept album Oliver Appropriate expected January 25th. The album has 14 songs and is approx. 34 minutes in length.

[​IMG]

Max has described the story as the sequel to ...Is A Real Boy and the story is described as:

The listener and I follow Oliver over the course of two days. The first song kicks it off with Oliver waking up on a hungover Sunday in his filthy Bushwick apartment and follows him to a contrived dive bar where he meets the first boy he allows himself to fall in love with, again played by Karl, who expresses his role through vocal counterparts and his drumming. Oliver, despite having a girlfriend he doesn’t really care about, ends up sleeping with Story Karl, which drives him nuts because he won’t truly accept that he could love a boy not as a joke or an expression of contrived “experimentation”. Oliver just rejects Karl and treats him like another conquest. After being fired the next day from his vague and boring job in marketing, he feels empty and thinks “maybe this boy is the answer” and regrets his decision. He seeks out Karl, who he assumes will just love him back. Karl rejects him and tells him he’s actually sort of into another guy. In a fit of rage, Oliver kills Karl, absconds to a San Francisco and drowns himself, tied to his lover’s corpse and a gigantic stone. The album ends with Oliver’s ascension after death and his acceptance of what he’s done to himself, Karl, and the world. I would like to think he is reborn and goes somewhere better and since I believe in the power of story, I believe this to be (fictionally) true, since I did write the damn thing.

Tracklisting:

1. The Band Fuel - 2:09
    2. Daze - 2:21
    3. Pink Snot - 2:49
    4. Greased - 2:05
    5. Ew Jersey - 2:56
    6. Mouthbreather - 2:06
    7. When I'm Acid - 1:37
    8. Captive Audience - 1:31
    9. Your Father - 1:46
    10. Send You Off - 2:26
    11. Fired - 1:05
    12. It's A Process - 3:21
    13. The Hardest - 2:37
    14. Sediment - 5:15

There's a lot to take in from this so I have posted the PDF that Max posted on Say Anything and Sherri's part in this, too.

Say Anything - A Goodbye Summation: http://eisley.com/SA/SAY_ANYTHING––A_GOODBYE_SUMMATION.pdf
    A Statement From Sherri DuPree-Bemis:

Hey y’all, it’s Sherri here (Max’s wife).
    Most people who know me personally (and most people who don’t – hi instagram! @sdupreebemis) know that I’m transparent and honest all of the time.
    In 2007 I was lucky enough to come across and fall-madly-in-love-with, a man who is the same. Transparent. Honest. Nearly ten years (and three kiddos) later, we’re still rocking and rolling together and it’s the best. Literally.
    So, to keep it short (since Max’s statement is anything but), Max is doing great. We’re all loving on him and supporting him through this whirlwind of change and a huge career shift. He’s a madman. (Metaphorically, and not in the ‘crazy’ way that he often gets pinned as).
    He loves madly, he cares madly and he creates madly. And I’m here to let you know, the narrative doesn’t stop here. It’s just the beginning. So stay tuned. And you (like me) will always be pleasantly surprised.
    Keep up with him on Twitter; Or join me over on my Instagram for some sappy/adorable photos of him that I sneak when he’s not looking.
    If you want to support him, know that this decision, the time leading up to it, and the time since have seen Max doing a lot of crying, taking time off from social media and anything triggering as much as possible….and growing. We’re best friends and so I know he’s in both a sensitive and strong state so kindness and understanding is all we as a family require from you guys if you choose to say hi.
    If what Max wrote doesn’t make it clear, he’s recovering from a PTSD “breakdown” and this is not really bipolar-related stuff. It’s a guy who followed his passion to the point of almost breaking who stopped and saved his own life for us and those who care. Which has left him joyful but needing rest and relaxation and positivity.
    We love you guys. Thanks for loving our family and always supporting us through our creative journey. We’re the kind of people who do not take that for granted. See you out there. Soon.
    XO
    Sherri

At My Funeral (Incoming and RANT)!
    THE EMO FAN by Max Bemis
    TwitLonger — When you talk too much for Twitter

US iTunes Pre-Order Link: ‎Oliver Appropriate by Say Anything
    Album Pre-Order Link: Say Anything – Dine Alone Records

Daze:

Pink Snot:

2. GBlades

Trusted

Some of the above information is taken entirely from iTunes so may not be confirmed.

3. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Excited. Love the single more than any SA single since S/T.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. GBlades

Trusted

Have you got a link so I can include this. Can't seem to find it at all, except a clip.

5. Matt Metzler

Space Cadet Prestigious

Looks like it's on sale via iTunes.

SteveLikesMusic likes this.
  6. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

“Daze” is on Apple Music.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  7. GBlades

Trusted

8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Dan O'Neill and GBlades like this.
  9. GBlades

Trusted

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

New song is fine. Sounds a bit like Anarchy?

11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

There's a lot to unpack in that statement, I don't even know where to begin

12. GBlades

Trusted

If anyone finds a non-country exclusive version of this then please PM me

13. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Interested.

14. this is the most i’ve liked a say anything song in a long long time

15. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I like the song, interested in hearing the rest.

16. GBlades

Trusted

Goddamn UK iTunes. I need to hear this!!

SpyKi likes this.
  17. Dan O'Neill

Regular

This new song rules. The music has hints of Hebrews, but with “real” instruments. I love it.

18. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

There's so much and it's very all over the place. Haven't even finished it yet

19. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

glad people are liking the new song

guess I’ll have to wait till it hits Spotify to listen

the statement was heartbreaking

20. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Interesting concept. What was Max's huge career shift? Haven't followed SA in a while so I'm clueless.

21. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I won’t have a chance to read the whole thing for a while. Anyone wanna give a TLDR?

22. GBlades

Trusted

He now writes comics for Marvel and semi-independently.

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Max’s transparency is forever respectable. The concept of this record sounds damn near apocalyptic in the grand scope of their records in that it feels like it’s truly going all-or-nothing. I can’t wait to hear it.

24. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Oh sweet. Didn't know that, good stuff!

25. GBlades

Trusted

Yeah, has a bunch of comic work. It's pretty damn good, I quite likes his X-Men and Moon Knight runs!