Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything ...Is Committed (May 24th, 2024) • Page 32

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dog Fish, Oct 13, 2023.

1. SpeckledSouls

Trusted

"I got through it" is the best thing to read when talking about an album.

Shams, ScubaSteve182, Crisp X and 3 others like this.
  2. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

this album warrants a support group we are survivors

Shams, ScubaSteve182, Zilla and 2 others like this.
  3. WasEmoRocknowImjustold May 29, 2024
    (Last edited: May 29, 2024)
    WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

Is A Real Boy was a gateway drug. You wake up one day years later and you're hooked on Cum. Ya'll had so much fun with that cute little Yellow/Red Cat look at ya now.

CAC3, Shams, dylan and 1 other person like this.
  4. J12

Trusted Supporter

I'm not really one that usually notices when people talk about awful production, but I will say there were moments on this that genuinely kind of hurt my ears.

I do think there's a few redeemable songs here. I genuinely like most of "Psyche!", "Carrie & Lowell & Cody" and "Are You (In) There?" A record in the vein of of those tracks would've been on the highest end of where I could personally set my expectations for Say Anything in 2024, but my enjoyment of even those is entirely marred by Max and the rest of this thing, being as embarrassing and gross as it is.

sophos34 likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I'm listening to this for the first time, mostly in the background, and my only take is that as background music this would be a nice instrumental album

Shams and Crisp X like this.
  6. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

I've given this a few listens now and, wow, what a frustrating release.

The messy, manic energy on this record is incredible and something that's been missing from SA for a while now. You can feel the passion throughout. All that means is that it's that is a goddamn shame the lyrics are what they are because the instrumentation and melodies are top notch. The production and mixing is also not doing it any favors whatsoever.

CAC3, Shams, Cameron and 2 others like this.
  7. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

does anyone know if fred does backup vocals on the record at all?

Shams likes this.
  8. Dan O'Neill

Regular

I think he’s on the bridge in “Psyche!”

Shams and jesseisabigdeal like this.
  9. not caught up on the thread but presumably there might be contractual obligations to do the show and not the meet and greet...

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

After my second listen….I’m sorry but I don’t hate this

GhostDiaper, gurpgork, SpyKi and 2 others like this.
  11. Dog Fish

Mutt

12. Doomsday

flora & dany approve this post Supporter

Even if I liked the songs themselves, the production quality is so wildly varied and poor idk if I could enjoy it

GhostDiaper and sophos34 like this.
  13. Just survived my first, and definitely only full listen. I thought these are some of the strongest Say Anything songs, musically and melodically, in a long while - and I love IDTII and Hebrews. But the lyrics instead of being oddball and funny like they were in the past are just creepy and frankly scary in light of what little we do know about the family situation. Like, a song about comparing yourself to a vibrator could be hilarious, but it is not at all.

I am baffled at the involvement of Brad Wood, Brian Warren, and Fred Mascherino. Why would you stand by this album? Is it just a paycheck?

14. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

I can't find it but Brad Wood released a pretty tongue in cheek statement basically acknowledging that the thing was strange. Brian and Fred have done 0 promotion nor have they commented on it. So I have to think yea it's a paycheck. Really haven't seen them stand by the album or any promotion.

Who knows if the next album is less horny-manic and Fred and Brian write the thing WITH Max. God, I'm such an idiot for holding hope here lol. Those three together writing and singing vocals could be hella cool. For them, write a few songs basically play Say Anything's catalogue even if they tour again they're mostly playing old stuff, not a terrible gig.

Dan O'Neill, BigMouth and Shams like this.
  15. Shams

Adam Lazzara Stan

I was considering it out just to hear Fred's beautiful voice but I don't wanna hear any of those godawful lyrics.

16. HankThePigeon

This?

17. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Yep. I think the "musically arrived" is a pretty strong indicator that the lyrics are not his cup of tea. I'm jumping to a conclusion here, but the way it's all worded sure seems like he's dancing around the obvious. A pretty good word dancer he is, lol. He also acknowledges the production and implies it's what they wanted. Like I said, said pretty nicely but coated with things he wanted to put out there.

Think about how many times he had to listen to these songs, lmao.

18. Shams

Adam Lazzara Stan

Zilla and WasEmoRocknowImjustold like this.
  19. Has anyone seen reviews for this? I've only been able to find a few. Was curious how this was being received.

Shams likes this.
  20. Dog Fish

Mutt

check out the last few pages of this thread. It seems to be a little hit or miss.

21. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I think it’s basically not worth it for the remaining music reviews sites to commit time to.

Metacritic didn’t even make a page for reviews for “I Don’t Think It Is,” let alone this and when you Google reviews for this, this thread is like the third or fourth link.

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

ultimate sign of a washed band is no one even bothering to review your stuff even if it’s an easy target for a low score click bait review

23. elphshelf

100% made of farts Supporter

Hell, it only had three reviews on RateYourMusic this morning.

Shams, sophos34, Zilla and 1 other person like this.
  24. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Can't say I'm really into this. The only SA album I go back to is SA, so

Eloise
    Do Better
    Mara and Me
    Fed to Death
    Crush'd
    Cemetery

All bangers

25. gurpgork

Regular

In another universe that album propels them to the heights they wanted and “Eloise” is the hit single