Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything ...Is Committed (May 24th, 2024) • Page 31

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dog Fish, Oct 13, 2023.

1. WasEmoRocknowImjustold

Not newbie, I think Supporter

He's always struggled with his mental health would be a much more accurate and kinder phrasing. As someone with Bipolar Disorder to similar extremes that Max has had, it's just a bit offensive to say. Bipolar Disorder, mania, is episodic not a constant state. He has not been "always off the rails" especially between 2004-2014 or so. There's a certain sense of giving in to the manic thoughts and leaning into them or knowing what thoughts to dismiss that can really harm or help a person with the disorder.

I do think you're right about him almost giving in to the idea that the manic side is beneficial, and putting pressure on himself to be that artist. Sadly.

2. birdman

Yes, it's me

I believe that's the phrasing I've been using throughout my posts aside from the short-hand I used in response to the post above my original comment.

Aside from that both of us know very little of the specifics of his diagnosis. But it sounds like being hailed as a prodigy in your genre and being pressured to follow-up a critically acclaimed album that was made possible by a struggle with mental health for 20 years wasn't particularly helpful in Bemis's case. At least in terms of management of his illness.

3. SpeckledSouls

Trusted

He's still a piece of shit now

ScubaSteve182 and Carrow like this.
  4. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Ding ding ding

Joe4th likes this.
  5. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I think some of y’all have lost the plot and are digging deep to justify this album’s circumstances when it’s not necessary

j0nnymarrzbar, dylan, Joe4th and 6 others like this.
  6. Max is just a guy, there are billions of guys, would be nice if this guy wasn’t one of them that people paid attention to

7. Jason May 25, 2024
    (Last edited: May 25, 2024)
    Jason

Regular

I really like WE SAY GRACE IN THIS GODDAMN BAND, MISTER. In a way most people here probably wouldn't understand, lyrics aside, the production and melody seem introspective in a weird way.

GhostDiaper, Dan O'Neill and Cameron like this.
  8. sophos34 May 25, 2024
    (Last edited: May 25, 2024)
    sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I’m still trying to wrap my head around some of the discussion in here surrounding their earlier albums because the difference between then and now in terms of what’s going on and how people are responding couldn’t be more different. Yes, max has always struggled with his mental health and was institutionalized early on and was very candid about it in his music and the fans eating it up could be seen as voyeuristic and “problematic” but I’m gonna push back pretty hard on that notion here because back then especially when I hopped on board at 17 years old years after the fact and was starting to deal with mental illness of my own, it was crazy to see an artist being so open about their experiences and problems and if anything he helped destigmatize being mentally ill for an entire generation of kids. I was drawn to the music not for the spectacle of this guy struggling mentally very publicly but because it made me feel less alone and alienated in my own problems and made me feel like what I was going through was normal. What’s happening now is an uncomfortable glimpse into what happens when nobody around him seems to care he’s “off the rails” (hate this phrase and I apologize if I used it earlier it’s force of habit) and not well and are enabling him. Back in the day he was getting help, he was in treatment, etc. and I’m not gonna sit here and diagnose and say he definitely needs help that he’s not getting but it’s also very clearly an extremely different situation that it was when he was a punk kid shooting for the stars. he’s got five kids in the picture now. he’s in his 40’s. you can’t seriously tell me this is the same way it’s always been with him and things aren’t significantly more discomforting now

Doomsday, Joe4th and Zilla like this.
  9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I will say it’s similar to when Kanye was starting to be very problematic and it was clear NOBODY in his circle would tell him he needs help. Obviously with Max it’s more that he doesn’t have a circle at all other than his family and friends whom aren’t guided by his money like Kanye.

Shams, OotyPa, Zilla and 1 other person like this.
  10. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Yeah that’s why I made the comparison earlier. I mean hey maybe max is mentally sound and this is just his weird ass personality now shining through on these lyrics or it’s his outlet to get these thoughts out. All I know is taking five kids on tour isn’t normal and someone should’ve shut that down immediately

11. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I wasn’t aware they were taking all of them out on tour. Though on the other hand esp for the younger ones if Sherri is going to the whole tour, it would unfortunately make sense to take them. As bad as it sounds. Not justifying it.

sophos34 likes this.
  12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

That’s what that Dallas observer article said anyway but yeah I mean if Sherri is there of course that’s what they’re gonna do. Or leave them with her dad. And like if it was one or two kids I could see it. But there’s five of them. Five. My parents always told me don’t have so many kids that they outnumber you (they had four)

Cameron likes this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Absolutely

sophos34 likes this.
  14. max.jpeg

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Aaron

elphshelf, Zilla and Aaron Mook like this.
  16. doubleshotlatte

Pretty hard to listen to this for some reason. I've started it like 5 times and I keep dropping off and pausing it. I listened to nex gen like 6 times thru.

sophos34 likes this.
  17. benschuyler

Regular Prestigious

I like it.

GhostDiaper and Dan O'Neill like this.
  18. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

All the kids are on tour. Max and his family have their own bus.

19. Dan O'Neill

Regular

GhostDiaper likes this.
  20. MidDave

"Draft Day" is a good film Supporter

I was curious. No way this could be as bad as I was told. Right? Right???

No, it's like 15x dumber and more embarrassing than I could have predicted lol

21. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Favorite tracks:

-Carrie & Lowell & Cody (Pendent)
    -Say Anything, Collectively, Made Love To Your God
    -Daisy’s

22. jesseisabigdeal

Regular

i don't hate the record, i love max's voice and melodies but my favourite part of the album was the song he played during the skit and i don't understand why it wasn't the next song. unless it was but i didn't notice?

23. Dan O'Neill

Regular

That was just the ending to “Woman Song.” It was happening as he was explaining it to Sherri.

That part is fun.

jesseisabigdeal likes this.
  24. doubleshotlatte

i got through it. pretty joyless and spiteful record pretty much all of it. If he just wants to "sing about daisys" maybe just do it dude?

really don't see what the "parody" angle is unless he's making fun of his own band/worse impulses or if he perceives scene music to be cum/sex obsessed

Zilla, Benjamin Lee and sophos34 like this.