Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything ...Is Committed (May 24th, 2024) • Page 29

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Dog Fish, Oct 13, 2023.

1. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

there’s a band with a front man who has a troubled past and no stranger to inpatient institutions but look at his music

Aaron Mook and imthegrimace like this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

New Diiv is so good

Aaron Mook, sophos34 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  3. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

The first song on here is terrible. Not even just lyrically, it sounds like shit

sophos34 likes this.
  4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

After my one (and only) playthrough, Christ. I still enjoy Are You (In) There, but outside of that I have zero desire to ever hear any of these songs ever again. It has some parts I enjoyed musically, but the moment the lyrics came through it sucked any enjoyment I could have had out of it. And I’m usually not too bothered by bad production, but fuck man I think this sounds worse than IDTII and that’s an accomplishment to out-shit that record’s production. Daisy’s is one of the only songs to ever be so grating to my ears that I got a headache just from listening to it.

Then fucking Woman Song. Like, first, how did Max write a song dedicated to his daughter and somehow still put the word “cum” in it? But beyond that, the entire back half where it’s just like, a recording of him and Sherri in the car talking physically hurt to make it through. This is, without competition, the most I have ever hated a record released by someone who I’ve historically liked. Hell, I’m in a minority on this site probably in that I like every Say Anything record… up until this point. I enjoy records that I see people on here calling the worst they’ve heard in their life and I still couldn’t tank this shit. My bar is real fucking low, but this was somehow worse than I could have ever imagined.

5. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Gonna put this on out of morbid curiosity and see how long i last. Haven’t really listened to anything since IDOTG

sophos34 likes this.
  6. ChampsMusic

Instagram.com/ChampsMusic

Put this album on shuffle while going to the gym yesterday. Woman Song came on first. The most grueling 8 mins of my life like it just did not end. I put something else on after that.

sophos34 and Zilla like this.
  7. saturdaysaviour

Regular

Jesus christ, I didn’t realise the line about being accused of rape was in the introduction. Currently laughing out loud at the end of On Cum. What is happening

Dan O'Neill, sophos34 and OotyPa like this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Tbh I was cracking up at the ending of Woman Song. That shit was funny

Cameron and SpyKi like this.
  9. saturdaysaviour

Regular

I got to i, vibrator

[​IMG]

10. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Didn’t expect to see mewithoutYou referenced in this thread. Curious, but not enough to subject myself to this album.

11. T E A L

Regular

I gave this a half-hearted listen out of morbid curiosity. I actually enjoyed "I, Vibrator" to my surprise. It just feels a little (very) awkward sitting back and entertaining what I assume to be uncontrolled mental illness play out like this. I can't connect to anything on here lyrically either, obviously.

12. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

lol yep that was the song that pushed me over the edge

saturdaysaviour likes this.
  13. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

It’s like trying to listen to anything Kanye has released since 2017. weird, unhinged, not very good, and uncomfortably voyeuristic as you’re listening to someone’s manic episode that all the yes men did nothing to help

Shams, Zilla, Crisp X and 6 others like this.
  14. Dog Fish

Mutt

I still wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the band didn’t hear the lyrics until their parts were recorded. Didn’t see any of them say a word after it dropped

Ellamamama likes this.
  15. SpeckledSouls

Trusted

I would genuinely be so embarrassed to have my name attached to this

Zilla and T E A L like this.
  16. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Yep this is bad. I listened all the way through, but I was ready to quit after the 3rd or 4th song.

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Good comparison

T E A L likes this.
  18. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Same

Dan O'Neill and OotyPa like this.
  19. Dog Fish

Mutt

While the lyrics make this absolutely unlistenable, I’m still amazed some are comparing it to as bad as IDTII. I still think this sounds better than everything since s/t.

- Most disappointing SA release: Anarchy
    - Worst sounding: IDTII
    - Worst in general w/ good bones: Hebrews
    - had some good parts but has the worst SA song of all time: OA

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  20. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

How is Anarchy the most disappointing album when it has Night Song and Stephen Hawking?!

angrycandy and Dan O'Neill like this.
  21. ZeoVGM

Regular

"Disappointing" doesn't mean "worst."

Remember that Anarchy came after their self-titled, which was the third in a trilogy of very well-regarded albums. Say Anything was at a point of "I"m really interested to see what they do next." And then they put out a fairly a polarizing album that received middling reviews in the form of Anarchy.

In the 12 years that followed, everything they released was either mediocre or bad. It's hard to disappoint when no one has positive expectations.

SpeckledSouls, Dog Fish and RyanPm40 like this.
  22. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Definitely the beginning of the end even though I like stuff from Hebrews and Oliver. I’m still very mad the updates he posted stuff like Anarchy is like ATDI or this songs like Minus The Bear. Nothing on there sounds like that

dylan likes this.
  23. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

I listened to find the mwY reference and it's literally the end of the song where he's doing a "meta" monologue explaining the structure of the song to Sherri (?) and says something like "This is where I would put a mewithoutYou spoken word part. Or La Dispute. It doesn't matter what you're saying as long as it sounds cool"

awakeohsleeper and Dan O'Neill like this.
  24. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

anarchy my dear is the reason I don’t trust musicians to describe their own music

25. birdman

Yes, it's me

This really is all there is to say. If I didn't understand English I might actually really dig more of this album than not. But the lyrics are just atrocious. I've actually always really liked Max's vocal melodies and am always disappointed when otherwise good songs are ruined by his terrible lyrics.

Shams likes this.