Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - I Don’t Think It Is Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 4, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

To answer this, yeah there are quite a few and that's something I struggle with as far as enjoyment. I mean, Glassjaw wrote one of the grossest albums ever and I still like them. TBS have several problematic songs. I guess it just depends on taste and perhaps how much you're willing to deal with

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  2. It's okay! Happens to the best of us. As a moderator, I completely agree with @SpyKi (and that's a first, lol). My main goal is make our users feel safe and free to have discussions like this without having to worry about them turning hostile. And if I ever did something to the opposite effect, I'd want to know so we could work it out and find a resolution!

CoffeeEyes17 and SpyKi like this.
  3. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Yeah, "Peace Out" is a super weird one for me. I first heard that in the middle of a horrible break-up, and as much as I didn't want to, that 'Go get high with all of your dumb friends' line really struck a chord with me. And yet as much as I like the instrumentation of the song, looking at it objectively, it's really... petty.

I also have a lot of mixed feelings about the lyrics on In Defense of the Genre, I tend to go back and forth a lot when I revisit it. Sometimes they resonate, sometimes they strike me as hurtful. However, I do think it has value as a (painfully) honest representation of the thoughts and feelings that come after losing a first love.

4. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

hey, we agree sometimes!!!

Aaron Mook and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  5. SpyKi

The worst thing about "Peace Out" to me is that it's written about a girl he broke up with years before.. It's so weird. Idk, it's always been one of my least favourite Say Anything songs.

MegT585, OotyPa and GEM37 like this.
  6. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Seconded on Glassjaw. That album is tough to listen to lyrically, but the passion overflowing from it... ohmygwqfjrjfkr

I think I can kinda handle it because, 1.) Glassjaw don't seem to have continued on that path, lyrically at least, and 2.) it does seem to come from a relatable - if really mishandled - place of pain.

Whereas listening to anything from Falling in Reverse or Sixx A.M. - I don't think I can get through one of those songs without wanting to tear my skin off!

7. GEM37

She haunts the roads

It's a song I think could've been really cool with completely different lyrics.

8. CoffeeEyes17

Yeah, I get that. I think a lot of those songs from the early scene are more youthful naivety than actual toxic aggression towards women, whereas say, Falling In Reverse or something like that is clearly being meant in a sexist way

GEM37, Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  9. Definitely. You know, we all have different lines, art vs. artist, etc. but of course I'm always going to be biased because ...Is a Real Boy and In Defense of the Genre are two of the albums that got me into the scene. They were and still are very special to me, even if they haven't aged well or I don't revisit them as often as I used to.

Re: Max, I believe his views are misguided and he has a lot to learn (as do I) and I hope he gets there. But I do see Sherri and their daughters helping him arrive to this conclusion about some of his earlier songs, and I feel as though he is making an effort to change (views of political correctness be damned), and that's also important to me. I understand that it is and should be a constant learning process for all of us, and we may be reluctant sometimes, but I am patient with people who have had a largely positive impact on me and will continue to be until he says something that I can't come to terms with.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  10. Sorry if I'm rambling; it all just kind of comes full circle when I think about how hostile things got towards the end of AP and how many kneejerk responses I had to artists without taking into account the fact that they are people too and they are flawed, just like I am. I just don't want to be as dismissive as I once was.

CoffeeEyes17 and SpyKi like this.
  11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Can I ask why that'd be weird? I'm in an extremely committed relationship, but if I were a songwriter I would totally write about past relationships, no question

12. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

Wait, so "Peace Out" was written about a girl? I always thought it was just about a breed of people, not a specific person.

Also, "Property" is totally against sexism and "patriarchal" views of relationships/women. It's far (very far) from being a favorite of mine, but I don't think it's sexist at all so much as it is a statement mocking that brand of sexism.

13. SpyKi

I don't mean it's weird to write a song about a past relationship, I just think the song's weird. I think it's weird to write such a petty song about a relationship that ended five years ago after you've already written like 27 songs about it and have gotten married and apparently moved on. Like the song seems to be trying to say he's moved on and he's over her but I think it contradicts that message.

OotyPa and Aaron Mook like this.
  14. "Peace Out" seems very similar in message to another song I sometimes feel conflicted about, "The Night Josh Tillman Came to Our Apartment" by Father John Misty (one of my favorite artists). It's very condescending towards a certain type of person, specifically a woman, but he's also essentially playing a character you're supposed to hate sometimes and relate to other times, so it's certainly delivered with a tongue-in-cheek element. And fuck, it's a gorgeous song.

edit: I think I'm talking to myself at this point, but moral of the story is it's okay to feel conflicted (or challenged) and it can be cool to talk about it in a nonhostile environment, haha

15. irthesteve

aaaah yeah that makes much more sense than how I read your comment originally

Aaron Mook likes this.
  16. SpyKi

I think I remember somewhere Max saying it was about the same person he was writing about on IDOTG and the line "inspired 30 songs I could have written in my sleep" is a reference to that.

17. SpyKi

yeah, I think I worded it poorly.

18. Did not know that, pretty interesting to see how he views IDOTG then

19. irthesteve

not as poorly as this sentence, yikes!

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  20. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

You're not alone; I still stand by this album. There's tons of really cool shit happening on this record that I haven't heard before from Max (dirt piss production choices be damned). The instrumentation and spirit of IDTII is so badass that I can't help but love it.

GEM37 likes this.
  21. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Talking to yourself? Is it possible to talk to yourself on a message board?

If a tree falls in a forest, is there someone at a keyboard to call bullshit on the tree before it hits the ground?

22. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Before this conversation goes to a place I didn't intend, I just wanna clarify that the tree comment is not directed at anybody, I just thought it was funny.

I'm not calling anybody a tree. I would never do something like that.

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I still think Peace Out is in reference to his former self.

24. GEM37

She haunts the roads

Y'know, I remember back in high school reading a Rolling Stone interview with Maynard of Tool where he said something to the effect of 'emo is music for date rapists,' and remember how much that pissed me off.

Then, with some distance, I realize that this scene produced bands with names like 'Bullet for My Valentine' or 'Twelve Gauge Valentine,' or how Hit the Lights basically wrote an entire album about wanting to murder an ex-girlfriend, or the sheer number of sexual assault allegations that have come out of this scene in the past couple of years.

And then I kinda wonder if he had a point.

25. CoffeeEyes17

Now I wouldn't go that far, but it certainly does tap into something that's a problem with this scene and the indie rock scene: it's a lot of straight white guys. That's bound to lead to some testosterone filled, toxic rants against women. It's an issue that doesn't really have a clear answer, aside from actively supporting bands with female/POC musicians.

GEM37 likes this.