Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - I Don’t Think It Is Album • Page 5

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 4, 2016.

1. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I guess my opinion means little since I'm not a fan of Say Anything, but this album is the most unlistenable thing I've listened to this year by a long shot, and I listened to the new Issues album.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  2. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Don't listen to Issues, but there's no way their record is better than IDTIS. I hate that dude from Issues.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

It's better, but I mean that very lightly since I never want to listen to either again

4. I'd rather eat an onion like an apple than ever listen to this album again.

St. Nate and FTank like this.
  5. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Easily

6. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm a big Say Anything fan and I agree. What a shit show of an album. It's so far from a decent Say Anything album. Anarchy is a decent Say Anything album. IDTII is sonic garbage.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I at least think everything before this is listenable. Hebrews not so much because of the production, but the songs are better

8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

This album is like a protest against good music

FTank and SpyKi like this.
  9. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Although i admit there are parts of this that could have sounded good, if only they actually SOUNDED good. I concede that this is an album of good ideas executed very poorly

10. SpyKi

I think they're shit ideas that sound shit. There's hardly anything positive I can say about any moment on this album.

11. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

I can't think of a single redeemable thing about this album. Granted, I think Max is an awful human being to begin with, but this is just sad.

12. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Weird, would've pegged you as a SA fan before this album

13. GEM37

She haunts the roads

I still like it!

14. CoffeeEyes17

I used to be. But a lot of their old material now reads as super sexist garbage, coupled with the fact that Max has said several problematic statements on Twitter, it's just turned me off on the band.

I will admit, I still really like the S/T despite it having Property which is kind of a gross song, even if it is suppose to be tongue in cheek

15. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I listened to the self titled today and realized he totally villainizes his ex-gf in a completely juvenile way. Could say the same for a lot of IDOTG

Also does anyone even know what She Won't Follow You is about??

One thing i can say however-- Mara and Me is a fucking jam. Same with Ahh Men

16. Aaron Mook Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    Sure, and that's valid, but how many other bands from the scene circa 2004 - 2009 have songs (and entire albums) that haven't aged well for that very reason? He's certainly said some questionable things, but generally speaking he seems well-intentioned (particularly when it comes to mental health awareness) and I really don't think those reasons alone merit calling him an "awful human being." Maybe that's just me though. I'm much slower to label people like that these days.

17. SpyKi

Which songs come off as super sexist garbage to you guys?

18. I'd have to go back through their catalog (which I might do while I work on this paper), but "Spidersong," "Every Man Has a Molly" and "Property" jump to mind, despite me admittedly still enjoying the former two in context of the album and the latter being a poor attempt at parodying the overt masculinity of Max's older songs (like the former).

That's the thing; there's a lot more insecure macho bullshit in there than outright "sexist garbage" (although there is some of that), but at least Max brings attention to it and calls himself out on it regularly.

19. CoffeeEyes17

maybe one of these days I can post an opinion on this site without some weird "gotcha!" Post being directed towards me.

20. Aaron Mook Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    ...is this directed at me? Because my post was 100% trying to have a legitimate conversation and not a "gotcha" post in any way, shape or form. You know me better than that. I just don't think the things you mentioned merit calling Max an "awful human being."

edit: if there's something i'm doing to make you feel unwelcome here or you interpreted my post as hostile, please, DM me here or on twitter and let's fix it together. 100% not my intention

MegT585 and FTank like this.
  21. SpyKi

Yeah, to me they don't really feel sexist at all, but more focused on making fun of himself for his own feelings. At least that's what I get out of them. I can see the case for Property because as you said, it doesn't do a great job at what it's attempting and the song is bad but I find it hard to call it sexist when it is still so clearly against what the song is saying. I don't know, I'm just trying to look into what other people are getting from these songs because I'm still such a big fan of the early stuff and I'd like to at least acknowledge anything I may be missing.

I think if anything the song that comes to mind in terms of being petty and sexist to me is "Peace Out" and probably some of the songs on IDOTG I never go back to.

22. SpyKi

Yeah, I think it's all just opening discussion, I'm definitely not trying to invalidate your opinion or your thoughts or catch you out on anything. Anytime I discuss these things I want to be as non-judgemental as possible in regards to where other people are coming from because everyone has their own lines and things they find offensive or problematic and their own ways of dealing with that. I think it's an interesting thing to discuss as long as everyone's being civil but I get why some people might not want to which is also fine.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  23. CoffeeEyes17

I'm sorry Aaron. And Jakob. I overreacted. Again. This is like, the 7th time in a week I've snapped only to minutes later realize what I did was wrong and unnecessary. I'm starting to think the bipolar medicine I am taking isn't doing its job as well as I'd originally thought.

You're both right. Max is not an awful human. He's actually pretty decent all around. I need to relisten to SAs stuff, I used to love it all a lot.

Aaron Mook and SpyKi like this.
  24. SpyKi

Haha, don't worry about it man. It's all good. It's easy for things to be taken the wrong way on here. I'd much rather you express things like that so things can get cleared up than just keep it to yourself and let it bother you.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  25. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

max seems worse than ever in recent years