Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything - I Don’t Think It Is Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Jason Tate, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

The director of that video commented on Reddit and said:

"Look it, I love Say Anything, and every album is different than the last. But my goal with directing this video was to highlight the scorn of the fans that take the artistic change personal."

I mean, I know that's basically what the entirety of I Don't Think It Is is about, but I feel like this is in kind of bad taste and is just making the issues people have with the band worse.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  2. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I haven't watched the video yet but I thought "Lost My Touch" was such a mature take on having people love your early material so much they hate on your new stuff and I was hoping he was going to kind of move on from that as subject matter after that so that's especially disappointing to me that he seems to have regressed.

3. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

This is probably my favorite album of the year.

hope you didn't believe me

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  4. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

It's so disappointing after how mature Lost My Touch was. He went from seemingly being okay with it at the end of Hebrews, to writing pretty much a whole pissy album about it. I really hope he gets over it for the next album. I want to like whatever that is, whenever it is.

5. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

If he is pissed that his fans don't appreciate the change in sound, I think he doesn't realize that people don't mind style shifts, but they do hate when he has gotten significantly more whiny and written much shittier songs as of recent. In spite of what the songs are actually about.

IARB and IDOTG are both very different sounding records, but I love them both.

Benjamin Lee likes this.
  6. Benjamin Lee

Trusted

I'm one of the only people I've met in real life, or seen on this site who likes every single Say Anything album (until I Don't Think It Is) like, Anarchy is the album that got me into the band, and I actually enjoy his post IARB stuff more, so I mean I love how much he changes each album, but this one just went in a direction that I think is objectively bad. It has the worst production, composition, performance and lyrics of any of his albums. I feel bad for how shitty people can be to Max because of IARB, but at the same time, he seems to just be fueling the fire at this point.

7. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't even like IARB anymore haha. It's aged so badly

8. SpyKi

I still love that album so much. Think it's aged like a fine wine. I like everything after until this album too.

Cameron, ECV and Aaron Mook like this.
  9. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Haven't listened to anything pre-Hebrews in forever...not that I listen to Hebrews all that much either. IDTII is where it's at.

10. Anti-Counter-Culture

Regular

I agree that it's disappointing for a post-Hebrews music video to focus on fan backlash. I didn't even take the song as being about that. I read it more as Max's attempt at some kinda punk anthem. I didn't see the album being about that at all, aside from the one "burn my first LP" bridge, but that seemed to be it. Glad to see that it was the director's idea and not Max's, but I probably wouldn't have agreed to do it if I was him.

With that said, I enjoyed it well enough for what it was. I'm of the opinion that the song's the worst on the album, mainly due to the chorus, but the video itself is fun. I think it's funny, and wish that instead of meeting in an alley, the guy would have stalked and killed them at various locations. It wasn't great, but I expected much worse. It would've functioned much better as a "Judas Decap" video.

11. Kuri44

Hey guys, unfortunately I won't be able to attend the Say Anything/Modern Baseball show in Austin tomorrow (May 28th). Since that was going to start the celebration of my birthday, May 29th, I've decided that in keeping the good spirits going for my birthday, I'll give one of y'all two tickets as a gift. Let me know if interested and I can email them to you.

12. Aaron Mook Jul 26, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 26, 2016)

New Two Tongues teaser points to a similar sound, but also somehow manages to already sound better than anything on this album, haha

13. Ugh. I was hoping for something completely different, given how incredibly poppy (and incredible in general) the most recent Saves the Day album is. Still, I'll give new Two Tongues a chance.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  14. SpyKi

Sounds like more of this album to me.. Badddd.

15. OotyPa

fall away

So fucking shitty lol

16. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Sounds awesome to me!! I love IDTIIS and the most recent Saves record so I'm psyched. Time to brush up on the first Two Tongues album.

17. Laura

Bozo did the dub Prestigious

That teaser doesn't sound good at all. I'm sure I'll still go the show anyway out of nostalgic love for both bands.

18. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I see I'm pretty much still the only person on the planet who genuinely enjoyed I Don't Think It Is. Then again I think Eloise is probably the best song Max has written, so my opinions don't line up with much.

Lets put it this way - back in the 04-05 when I first heard Is A Real Boy, I expected his sound to trend much more towards where it is now than to wade through the middling emo-pop for as long as it did.

Anti-Counter-Culture and GEM37 like this.
  19. Collin Skeen

Regular

This album was and still is really great. Too bad I'll be in Japan when the Two Tongues tour happens!

20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

why does he have to drag chris down with him

21. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

poor Chris. need to get him out of there and get us a new STD record

22. SteveLikesMusic Jul 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2016)
    SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

There only needs to be 1 track as good as 'Tremors' for this album to please me.

Editing: listening to TT for the first time in a while and holy shit 'Don't you want to come home' is so good. Never realized how pinkerton-ish it is.

23. I still really enjoy the Two Tongues album, I remember it being such a big deal to me when it came out. I was a freshman in high school and it came out two days before my birthday. Might've been the first CD I preordered

24. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

Rank your birthdays.

25. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I dig the teaser.

As for this I haven't returned to it since the first week it came out. Still think the hate for it isssss waaaay too harsh. It's a decent SA album. Still think the S/T is the best.

Anti-Counter-Culture likes this.