Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Say Anything – “Give a Damn” Video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 11, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

You know, the record isn't good but there are some gems on it. "Give a Damn", 17 Coked Up and Speeding", "Rum", and "#Blessed" are solid.

Anyways, the two best records Max will probably ever put out is ... Is a Real Boy and In Defense of the Genre with IARB being damn near perfect. I get what this video is supposed to mean but if only Max could channel back to the golden era..

3. jco3

Regular

Damn, that chorus is great.

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

I still think this album is some of the best writing he's done in quite some time. I would've loved to hear it polished

5. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

If it was polished by taking out the weird echo/tunnel vocals and replacing a couple terrible songs and artwork- this could have been his best record since IDOTG.

6. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I keep hoping their last album was an elaborate prank and that Max will release actual, polished (ie - listenable) versions in the near future.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  7. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I think he just wanted to do something crazy/sporadic and he sure accomplished that. Best case scenario? He releases an EP next year with some really great tunes.

8. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Oh my God, he killed Kenny.

MegT585 likes this.
  9. skurt

Sleekest of beaks. So Good.

Give a Damn is something I wish i could do about the last album.

Benjamin Lee and Jason Tate like this.
  10. parkerxcore

Somebody's gonna miss us Supporter

Completely forgot this new album existed that makes me sad.

11. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

110% agree

12. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

this album came and went in the same day for me, zero lasting power

Guys Named Todd likes this.
  13. sukottokairu

Regular

i really enjoyed the video, well done. i like the album too, i can see why the mix turns people off, and the harsh vocals, but it's a style that i can appreciate and i think the songwriting is some of max's more unique and interesting stuff for sure.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. WetwithSharp

and a little jingle...

Haven't gone back to this album since it came out. Might change that right now, doubt my opinion will change a ton on it though. This video was actually....kind of not too bad, for what it is...and the message it gets across.

15. Dan O'Neill

Regular

This video is meta as fuck. I loved it.

16. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

This album wasn't even remotely as bad as people made it out to be.

Dan O'Neill and Eric like this.
  17. bruinrk

the new songs he played live on this tour (Give a Damn, 17 coked up, rum, numb) actually were really fun. And oddly, fit within the sound...the songs didn't feel that out of place.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  18. SoundInTheSignals

@Bake_Wear / soundinthesignals.com

It might not be. It still isn't that great IMO and a lot of people feel that way. Unfortunately for Max & co okay is never going to be good enough. It's just unusually high expectations that cause those big hard hitting letdowns when something isn't "great" because of some of his previous music. I think he's fallen off pretty bad over the last three or so albums. I still find songs to like here and there. I'm waiting for another front to back solid album. For me this album wasn't it.

19. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Pretty much this.

20. Despite hearing the flaws more and more each time I hear the record, I still think people are really not giving it a chance. I still love every song on it despite how weird the artistic choices can be. Yeah, the mix is off-putting but it doesn't diminish how creative and unfiltered Max is on this, in fact I think it enhances it. Listening to this record is masochistic but rewarding. And I love it.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  21. kiguel182

Regular

This is a great album opener to a pretty cool record.

The record didn't have a lot of lasting power to me but I'll probably should go back to it. I really enjoyed it when it came out.

22. LionInMyPocket

I was born in a swamp, born with no clothes on

Even in the video it sounds like someone is messing with the volume... I really wish he had more help producing this because I could definitely see myself really enjoying some of the songs.

23. nsgob22

Newbie Supporter

I really like this record for what it is. It's weird, loud, sporadic. I think it will be a great record to play really ride driving on the freeway with the windows down.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  24. I can confirm that is the perfect way to listen to the record.

nsgob22 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  25. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I love it, the song was one of the best from the album for me, and the video is well done - I laughed at the beginning when that guy went to buy the new record, I already knew what's gonna happen in the video, but it was all good.