Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saves The Day Band • Page 60

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

That's not a hot take at all imo hahah ;D "Say Hello To Sunshine" is amazing and far superior to WIITB as just a work of art (going as far as to their greatest album cover), though I've got too much love for WIITB in the end. Also, I'd have to say I agree with "Faso Latido" taking a risk and falling quite short - now it reminded me of my own review (I used to publish some poor reviews on a Polish website), in which I think I gave them some shit for that sound, but eventually it became my favorite - it was actually one of the albums that taught me to give it some more time and angles.

Going back to Saves The Day, now I remember I also wrote about "Sound The Alarm" and "Red Tree" that same month - as far as I remember they shared the release date and I was amazed and so happy (15 years next month!).

Well and you guys mention The Ataris - I think I have to get back to that album. "So long, Astoria" is a classic for me for sure, then I kinda lost interest on the way.

But were there any demos released? You mean 2nd version, but for what it is, the record version is the one with Spencer playing, right? Also, I always thought Spencer was supposed to be a studio drummer for STD (it was in the end the same year he also recorded for "War Paint"), then read a bit more about it - it's strange he went to pursue that project with Pete Wentz, which never got anywhere, and I think I haven't heard of him ever since, which is too bad.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  2. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Welcome the Night is the best Ataris record by a large margin.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Hahafhahahhahhaa that's maybe the funniest thing I've seen in this entire thread, what?

4. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

I am putting on my swim trunks and sun screen to join you in this hot take.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

Bliss is Face To Face

Kopitar11 and irthesteve like this.
  6. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

No daybreak demos were ever released to my knowledge. I would love love love to hear the Manny and Durijah versions of the songs. There is a video on YouTube of them playing Daybreak with Manny, Durijah, and DAVE on guitar.

Bartek T. likes this.
  7. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

8. Welcome the Night is ok when you pretend it’s not The Ataris. But even then, it’s still only ok. “Not Capable of Love” is a jam though.

9. tomdelonge

Trusted

this is awesome. I’d love to hear the earlier versions of these songs

10. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Admittedly, I’m not a big Ataris fan so maybe that’s why I prefer Welcome The Night over any other record.

11. xburningcoffin

KC

Rot Gut Domestic/Buzzard by Margot and the Nuclear So and So's-those albums rip and are just as good as their early albums but were not well received by fans or critics.

Paul's Boutique, Tusk, and Sweetheart of the Rodeo are some of the classics that come to mind for the commercial flop turned classic

Bartek T. and Joe4th like this.
  12. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Crimson. Probably my favorite ALK3 record, but I know the change in sound didn’t sit well with a lot of fans at the time.

Bartek T. likes this.
  13. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah that's probably a good one, I was gonna say Agony but that is no ones favorite Alk3 record lol (not mine by a mile at least)

Bartek T. and koryoreo like this.
  14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I absolutely love Buzzard and Crimson.

15. stijn_p

Regular Supporter

The Academy Is - Fast times

I still like that album a lot, so catchy, but yeah, it’s different from their previous two

halowithascrewloose likes this.
  16. irthesteve

Santi sucks, sorry.

What thread is this?

DrawYourMind and waterloobeam like this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Pure blasphemy. Santi is easily my favorite record of theirs...

18. irthesteve

Almost Here is absolute perfection, the song structures, melodies, everything is peak what the genre ever was or ever will be. No one else was writing songs like that.

Santi was their attempt to like, be different or something, which is commendable on the surface but the songs just aren't as good. Same Blood, LAX, Mess, Bulls, Seed... bad songs. Neighbors is the best thing on there by far.

Fast Times pulled back and over corrected to a bit more straightforward rock, but the songs themselves were better.

Almost Here > Fast Times > Santi

slimfenix182 likes this.
  19. xburningcoffin

KC

The Academy Is just does nothing for me at all, the worst STD is better than all their stuff

bradsonemanband likes this.
  20. deflector

formerly pizzatime

Today Hate5six uploaded video footage from the first time I saw Saves the Day at Krazyfest 4... way back in 2001. Cuts off after 18 minutes but man this brought back memories. I'm somewhere to the left where all the jumping is happening. Saw them again in Atlanta a few months later for what ended up being Brian's last show. I know I give them shit for their new stuff, but I'll always love this band.

21. Smittzerland

First time long time (FKA musicfan9795) Prestigious

It's mid-70's outside here, and I had the pleasure of blasting Through Being Cool driving around with the windows down

DrawYourMind and Bartek T. like this.
  22. Drewski

Maybe so, maybe not.

Just received and promptly spun my copy of the Boys Night Out "Trainwreck" repress from Parting Gift/Take This To Heart Records. Sounded really great. Has me stoked that they are going to do justice for In Reverie vinyl.

Bartek T. likes this.
  23. DrawYourMind

Regular Prestigious

I did this EXACT thing on Saturday!

Smittzerland likes this.
  24. Kopitar11

Anyone else waiting for their Patreon swag from a year ago?

25. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I've been on a Saves The Day kick this week and MAN are the lyrics in Sound the Alarm dark