Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saves The Day Band • Page 48

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by muttley, Mar 10, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

The only song I ever come back to from 9 is Suzuki.

Would love to hear another record in the vein of the trilogy and not wait 5 years for it.

HelloThisIsDog likes this.
  2. 9 is excellent, "29" is so exciting and gratifying, the rest of it is just a ton of fun.

3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I think 9 would have been great if it was just the song 29.

waterloobeam likes this.
  4. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Don't think I would cut any songs from 9, it's a bit wacky and weird at times but it all works really well

5. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

That slide guitar solo makes me miss Hot Rod Circuit

Dan O'Neill and mattylikesfilms like this.
  6. SAB22

adulting22.bandcamp.com Prestigious

Yeah, I regret listening to 9. I held off until just now after reading this conversation. Doesn't sound like the same band even remotely. I think the production is better on 9 than on their previous 3 albums but man the lyrics are just too much to handle for me.

deflector and mattylikesfilms like this.
  7. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I fucking hated 9, haha. I should revisit 29, I guess, since I think I liked it when I first listened

deflector and mattylikesfilms like this.
  8. Dog Fish

Mutt

It was a fun album to listen to when released. I don't mind occasionally revisiting it. The energy is really fun, however - I can't relate to any of the lyrics. Even as a fan of the band, a biographical retelling of the history of the band gets boring after a while. Like, the story could have been told in a single song.

9. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Haha I hated it too. Tried re-listening this weekend and I can’t do it at all.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Whether you like 9 or not, I think we can all agree it's easily the best album named 9 that's gotten coverage on this site over the last couple years.

11. waterloobeam

Regular

I hate you

12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Quality post.

13. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Vase a STD fan? Interesting

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I have not given 9 a shot at all, I hated the S/T so damn much....

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I just have zero idea what your music taste is hah, happy to see this NJ band in your arsenal though.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

They were one of my first favorite bands.

18. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

If you hate S/T then I’m sure you won’t be a fan of 9.

I thought S/T was highly underwhelming after Daybreak but I listen to that record more than 9.

19. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I think the self-titled is much much better than 9.

Stand In The Stars is wonderful.

20. deflector

formerly pizzatime

This is a funny post but I disagree with it entirely. They're both awful but 9 is literally painful to listen to, whereas Nine just bores me to death (reference!)

I agree. Grapefruit actually felt a little bit like a resurgence to me. There's genuinely good songs on that record: Lucky Number, In the in-between, Verona, Xenophobic, Ring Pop... hell it's actually more good than bad! I think it's their best since In Reverie, with shoutouts to some individual songs from the trilogy (notably Eulogy, Undress Me, Bye Bye Baby (which is an In Reverie b-side I think) and Kaleidoscope.). Yes Chris's vocals are still a shadow of what they once were, but the lyrics are so much better than on 9, where they are just painfully uncreative and aggressively annoying.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  21. WeWereGiants

Regular

I wasn’t a fan of 9 personally but I enjoyed that they seemed like they were truly having fun with it

HOWEVER. 29 is incredible, lyrically and musically it reminds me of the best of Daybreak, it’s really something special.

22. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

29 is the album, for me. I feel like that song should be the main takeaway from the album, and should have appeal to any saves fan ?

23. deflector

formerly pizzatime

There's no reason why 29 shouldn't just be four or five shorter songs. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but both this and Daybreak just feel like collection of ideas rather than an actual multi-part "song suite" or whatever they're going for. I acknowledge there's some decent tunes at the beginning and middle of 29 but them being buried in a long song hides them rather than shows them off.

stars143 likes this.
  24. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

There's a reason why you're in the minority.

25. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

mmmmmmm yeah I disagree