Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saves The Day - 9 (October 26, 2018) Album • Page 32

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by jordalsh, Aug 13, 2018.

1. HelloThisIsDog

Trusted

Looking at you the local wave podcast user who made the claim they we're breaking up

Dan O'Neill and Jason Tate like this.
  2. Kuri44

I can’t believe how much this album has grown on me. I went from thinking it was pretty cool to being absolutely in love with it in a matter of days.

P.S. I love driving to “Saves The Day” on my way to work in the morning.

3. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

Really didn’t expect to find myself enjoying a Saves The Day record in 2018 but this rocks

4. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

This whole thing is clicking with me hard today, wow. It’s just so much fun dammit! I’ve let go of what I expected / wanted it to be lyrically.

5. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

Their last two records have been killer while being almost nothing alike. That's a pretty neat trick.

6. Someone please skip to 4:43 on 29 and tell me what you "hear" Chris sing

figureitout likes this.
  7. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Suck my nuts haha

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

9. Dan O'Neill

Regular

10. figureitout

Regular

Suck my nuts, send lightning to my brain.

Hah.

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  11. broken22

(:

So, I went to the Philly show last night and it was my first time seeing them. The band sounded superb and I gotta say Arun is damn good.

12. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Hey, I was there too! Arun fucking rules.

I’ve seen them live almost 15 times now, and this might be the tightest they’ve ever sounded.

And seeing the crowd actively singing along and rocking out to post-Reverie songs was the best. I’ve seen Saves crowds that just stand around bored when a “newer” song starts up.

The songs they played from 9 sounded great too.:ok:

13. broken22

(:

Awesome ! The new stuff sounded very tight, the reaction to the stuff off self titled was better than I thought it would be !

Dan O'Neill likes this.
  14. ihaveblink

Regular

my date on Friday has sold out. this will be my 8th time seeing them.

SaveTheEarth and Dan O'Neill like this.
  15. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Nice. Enjoy the show!

ihaveblink likes this.
  16. Kopitar11

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereks...saves-the-day-chris-conley-in-retrospect/amp/

I wonder who the "rock stars" were. When I saw them at Slims in SF a few years back Bryan played drums on a song and Ted (who was there) got a shoutout from Chris.

When I saw them in 2004 Eben was drinking liquor out of the bottle on stage and was smoking cigs on stage while playing, so I imagine he was at least one of the "rock stars". He also got arrested for drug possession (but maybe just weed) in NYC. But he never really did anything "rock star" after leaving Saves the Day and produced hipster music and was a backing musician. That MTV2 interview with Eben and Chris was pretty cringey.

Pete, Manny, and Durijah seemed pretty chill. Dave seemed pretty chill too but kind of full of himself.

What are your thoughts?

popdisaster00 and Dan O'Neill like this.
  17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think that we have seen time over time that musicians can mask their demons and personas on and off stage can vastly differ. Could be anyone

Aaron Mook, Dan O'Neill and Kopitar11 like this.
  18. James V.

I'm sure Eben was the "rock star." I kinda feel like he is/was really full of himself. But he seems to be cool and much more level-headed now, after listening to a recent interview with him where he chats quite a bit about Saves the Day.

Also, anybody else getting a bit tired of the "writing and making this album saved my life" or "this album is about how music saved my life" or whatever. I never quite bought into it, but it seems like he says something like this every album he puts out to me, and to me as somebody who deals with mental illness, it seems like he kinda cheapens mental illness using it in this way. Kinda strikes me as insincere too, especially for a musician who kinda claims his "sincerity" as a big calling card of his.

19. waterloobeam Nov 15, 2018
    (Last edited: Nov 15, 2018)
    waterloobeam

Regular

I appreciate your 2 cents, but you can't really pass judgment on another person's struggle with mental illness because you deal with it yourself. Let the dude express himself. Please mah, please.

20. xburningcoffin

KC

Since you claim to deal with mental illness yourself, it’s strange to dispute whether it’s bona fide or not. You either enjoy the music or you don’t and you have multiple times alluding to being disinterested, maybe it’s time to move on. For me, the back story has enhanced my enjoyment of all of their albums. The struggle feels real to me, you don’t just cross the finish line and magically feel cured it’s an ongoing process.

21. ihaveblink

Regular

I think the whole "this music saved my life" thing is kind of cliché at this point, truth or otherwise. Personally I can say music has impacted my life and made it easier, but saying it has my life worth living, or has changed me to not kill myself or fall into a pit of self-destruction is simply not true. Maybe I can't relate.

22. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Pretty bad, insensitive takes going on right now.

23. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

If you follow chris' like growth and transformation/persona over the years....all of that info makes sense. For every record to be the most important thing he's doing at that time. You look at the trilogy especially, those three albums were a huge undertaking that he needed in order to accept his place in the world/musical landscape. What I love about those albums is you can feel him processing those feelings straight through the tape: anger in STA, despair and loss in UTB, and eventual acceptance and rebirth on Daybreak. I think you can't not say hes dealing with shit on those guys.

24. MacbethSin

Regular

29 29 29 29 29 29 29

SaveTheEarth, Scoob and Dan O'Neill like this.