Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saturday Night Live TV Show • Page 229

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I'm saying that he almost definitely doesn't pay attention to that, and to the extent he does he thinks the critical praise is biased and incorrect. Some fantasy about suddenly respecting Tim Robinson and an entirely different brand of comedy that he has historically never supported seems so out of left field ridiculous, especially in reference to only a limited run Netflix show.

Its silly. The show will be like it was this year next year and won't suddenly get better writes or better political takes or a better style because it doesn't want to change those things and never has.

2. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I don’t think Lorne cares at this point. There’s only so many times that you can hear “Saturday Night Dead” and “This show hasn’t been funny since ___!” that you just tune it out. He cares about ratings and, on occasion, like the conservative one-eyed asshole, not rocking the boat politically. He 100% has not paid attention to Tim Robinson and the response to his show because it doesn’t have official ratings, so he can write it off if he did.

3. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Whenever Lorne retires, I’d like to see Seth take over (If he’d want to return to the SNL grind). I feel like his show is pretty inclusive and he seems to have the right amount of political knowledge and sense of how the show works and who would work for it, that he’d be a great successor.

He also wouldn’t pull the old-timey, rich asshole stuff that Lorne does like making people wait hours for him to arrive for their interview.

Blimp City Hero likes this.
  4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I never said he respected it, I'm saying he probably hates it because he doesn't respect it or understand it.

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I don't think Hannibal Buress got a single sketch to air which is insane

6. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think this is reading a lot into a mindset that we have no reason to believe is there. Granted, that's also what I'm doing, but him only caring about his famous friends and decent ratings makes much more sense.

7. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

All I know is I hope I never have to hear DJ Khaled yelling random bullshit ever again

8. Anthony_

I'm just speculating based on his reputation, I mean there's a chance he hasn't seen any of the buzz around Tim's show, there's a chance he doesn't even remember who Tim is. But if he has and he does, I don't think he's the kind of person who would be happy for him, based on what we know about him. That's all.

Also I hope that he feels that way, like I originally said, because I hate what he's let this show become.

9. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Yeah he probably hates him. But he wouldn't make the show more like his show, if anything he'd double down on boring half thought sketches that aren't interesting or even try to be.

10. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

He got one! The Charles Barkley golfing sketch

Zilla and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  11. Anthony_

Yeah I don't think he would either. I was saying if I were in his position, that's what I'd do.

12. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Mulaney said him and Simon Rich concocted a plan to guarantee they stayed onboard by writing all the monologues, because every writer there hated writing them. He basically said that Rich’s philosophy was “If we write all the monologues, they can never fire us.”

13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

De-aged Paul Rudd to play younger Mayor Pete looks older than regular Paul Rudd

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

I couldn't remember the exact story, it's just amazing how much wasted talent this show can have, imagine not knowing what to do with Jenny Slate and Casey Wilson

15. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

ANOTHER ONE

16. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

That cold open was just embarrassing. I felt genuinely bad for the main cast after that.

I can understand someone like Lorne wanting to be more “safe” with the material that goes to air and ensure that it maintains broad appeal, but there’s a line between that and just lazy pandering.

Honestly, having Jost and Che write insulting and offensive jokes for each other is probably the funniest recurring idea they’ve had in a while. Now I wish that was the entirely of Weekend Update. They’re given more creative freedom without worrying about ruffling any feathers

17. Jake Gyllenhaal

Privileged Harvard scum

dylan, Cameron and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  18. iCarly Rae Jepsen

do you think his proposal speech was talking about how much he loves Amazon

GrantCloud likes this.
  19. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Honestly the only sketch I laughed at on Saturday was the Kyle and Leslie having sex in Paul Rudd's dressing room skit.

What a waste of a great host.

This cast is actually really good but outside of a few skits each week, this season was really bad. Something needs to change because they're wasting a ton of talent.

20. CellarGhosts

Trusted Prestigious

Yep. Lorne needs to retire and Jost needs to leave.

GrantCloud and Dan Quinlan like this.
  21. Anthony_

It's really heartening to sort of see all of the criticism directed where it belongs (the writing) and not where it doesn't (the cast). It would be so easy in the post-Hader/Wiig/etc. days for people to say that the cast is weak and write the show off because of that but I honestly never see people criticizing any of the cast members (aside from Jost and Che of course). It's always the writing. Which is good because it would really annoy the hell out of me if people were talking negatively about people like Kenan, Kate, Beck, Kyle, Aidy and the rest of them.

cybele likes this.
  22. Jake Gyllenhaal

More like Saturday Night Dead

incognitojones likes this.
  23. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

GrantCloud and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. tvck

Trusted

25. Jake Gyllenhaal

His nickname is White Lightning because he always finishes in under 10 seconds