Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saturday Night Live TV Show • Page 228

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

First Impression w/ Momoa
    What's That Name
    Toilet ejector commercial w/ Mulaney
    Weezer
    Brothers w/ Liev
    Powerpoint w/ Idris

Absolutely loved all those

If anyone wants to share any other highlights they had

2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Not sure about specific sketches but I always keep a running ranking of the episodes of this show because I'm a nerd

Thompson> Mulaney> Sandler> McAvoy> Damon> Cheadle> Oh> Foy> Schreiber> Harrington> Carell> Hill> Brosnahan> Meyers> Stone> Rudd> Elba> Halsey> Driver> Awkwafina

JRGComedy likes this.
  3. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

My top 5 would be

Future Self w/Sandra Oh
    New Video Game w/Kit Harrington
    House Hunters w/Liev
    Bar Fight w/Chedle
    PowerPoint w/Idris

4. Fuck I hope I never have to see Baldwin’s terrible trump impersonation

Fuck man that cold open skit sucked - this writing team was too scared to really take on trump

Fuck Colin Jost always and forever

5. Fuck SNL so hard - that just put such a bad taste in my mouth

6. Still don’t know what dj Khaled does but that was the weirdest snl “performance” ever

7. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

This Paul Rudd ep was real real bad. Like normally the writing is bad and I'm used to that, and it was really bad with meandering sketches without endings like usual, but the performances felt sloppy and cues were missed all over, it was just a mess.

New writers and update people would be great. The whole show just feels uninspired and doing the minimum required.

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I will never get tired of Colin and Che reading each other's jokes.

Blimp City Hero and imthesheriff like this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I forgot about the Damon episode, that one was great

10. Sal Paradise

Trusted

I’m generally an snl apologist, but this season was really bad. I love the cast but I wonder if a full shake up would freshen things up From the on screen perspective and look for a new crop of writers. The writing has also been terrible, so hopefully they at minimum address that over the summer.

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Nooooo! My mom, she’s such a biiiiitch!

JRGComedy likes this.
  12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I think I like a majority of the cast but the writing has been so bad, that's where change is needed and probably least likely to happen

cybele likes this.
  13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The main cast is 100% not the problem. Outside of Jost and Che, I think they are all talented and likable performers and have enjoyed them all to some degree. The problem is the writing and Jost is the main reason why it’s bad.

I really hope Lorne is kicking himself about letting Tim Robinson go right about now. If I was him I’d force Jost out and do whatever I possibly could to convince Tim to come back to the show as head writer.

15. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Lorne probably loves Jost and thinks the show is great, and hates Robinson and his brand of comedy. Its a larger system problem for sure.

Zilla and imthesheriff like this.
  16. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The writing is by far the weakest part of the show

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  17. slimfenix182

Yeah it's all writing, not cast

Also they really need to stop automatically just spoofing whatever the political news is as the open. Stiller and Damon were pretty funny in their roles but overall it's so lazy

18. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

The bits about Trump and the GOP need more venom imo

cybele and incognitojones like this.
  19. slimfenix182

I think some of the news has been so ridiculous that they're just like "oh this writes itself" but yeah nothing has any bite to it

20. Anthony_

Regardless of what Lorne thinks about the material the two of them produce, he’s still at his core a businessman. And above even that he’s unbelievably petty. Seeing SNL get dunked on every week, with Jost being the primary target, while Robinson gets raves for his Netflix show, has to get to him.

21. slimfenix182

Imagine if he really let Mulaney and Robinson loose while they were there. I wonder what percentage of their shit got shot down

22. Anthony_

Honestly probably 80%

23. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I'd be shocked if he takes any critics seriously. I don't think higher ups at SNL want more absurdist out there comedy, and I definitely don't think they want stronger political satire. The show is where they want it and for most people its gonna be fine.

Zilla and imthesheriff like this.
  24. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

I’m just trying to imagine a writers room where someone pitches a trump Don’t Stop Me Now parody for the cold open and it somehow makes it to air

Also CANNOT BELIEVE we’re still doing jokes about Trump and Putin being gay for each other

25. Anthony_

I’d be shocked if he didn’t take what people said about the show personally, especially in comparison to a series that he probably doesn’t understand from a guy he fired for not conforming to his conception of what the show should be. He’s an extraordinarily and notoriously petty person. I’m not saying he recognizes that Tim’s show is better, I’m saying he has to hate that Tim’s show has been so well received while SNL has been pilloried for the last two years straight.