Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saturday Night Live TV Show • Page 190

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by morgantayler, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh man

2. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

She was definitely not actually singing but that was actually really impressive

imthesheriff likes this.
  3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

East Side is my jam. So catchy.

4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Meh hopped in at update and I guess I caught the highlight

5. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Like the Free 21 Savage shirt Leslie had on there

GrantCloud and imthesheriff like this.
  6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Didn't expect a ton from this episode, but man that was an overall dud

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This episode was the opposite of most, it started weak but got a lot stronger with Weekend Update and on. Halsey wasn't incredible but she definitely at least justified being there, I wouldn't mind her coming back

imthesheriff likes this.
  8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

There were some great sketches and a lot of bad. Halsey was good though.

9. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Ego and especially Melissa had great nights which I love

incognitojones likes this.
  10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Watching the cam fans sketch and the cue cards behind Leslie making an appearance, haha

11. Jake Gyllenhaal

Oh and the highlight is a rare three for three WU character segments

Zilla likes this.
  12. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

SNL is so frustrating sometimes. The writing at times can be so fucking bad and amateur sounding. It's the small stuff too... usually the premises are solid and the actors try their best, but why does every sketch have to have a straight character calling out the joke. Plus, i feel like every sketch has a tough time continuing the joke and pushing it further. Very frustrating show at times.

Anyway, I liked the opening black face sketch. Good easy stuff. The parents calling sketch wasn't bad and i loved the instagram couple and Melissa.

It wasn't the worst SNL of the year but just so many...so many...so many misses.

That sority sketch was so oddly constructed. Why have Kate McKinnon in the beginning their? It was such a sloppy over-complication of a simple idea. The valentines day song... i guess I can't relate? It doesn't seem like enough "of a thing" to make a song about.

C level episode. Thought Halsey didnt do enough to make me feel either way good or bad

13. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

These last 2 episodes were brutal.

Pete as a corpse screaming "AVENGE ME!!!!!" was fucking hilarious.

Heidi Gardner might be my favourite cast member.

14. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

You can tell Heidi is a genuinely great actress

GrantCloud and trevorshmevor like this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The blackface sketch was low-hanging fruit for sure but it was really funny in the end so that's what matters most. Kenan is so good at that type of character, that sketch was a perfect example of why he's such an integral part of whatever success this show manages to have at any given time. All of the other cast members were also really on point with their line delivery. Update was also really good but they also had quite a lot to work with this week.

I really like Them Trumps as a MacGruber-style, get-in-get-out kind of sketch to through out there. Get a quick laugh and move on. Plus Kenan, again, is so damn funny in them. And the Women of Congress sketch was funny enough with the nicknames and then the way it ended.

Everything else this episode was varying degrees of meh-to-not great.

Zilla and incognitojones like this.
  16. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

17. Anthony_

18. domotime2

That was fantastic but again for me it was the way the sketch was structured that failed to capitalize on it. Like avclub had a point... why riverdale? That didnt add to the sketch. And the way all the characters acted to davidson... just lame

19. Anthony_

SNL's writers seem to always vacillate between having a fundamental problem with sketch structure and having a fundamental problem with ending sketches. A lot of the time I actually think they have solid sketch premises, even over the last two not-great seasons, but they either execute those premises in the worst/laziest way possible or they just don't know how to stick the landing, which takes all the wind out of the sails.

20. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I’ve long thought that Lorne Michaels competitive style hurts the show and inherently leads to people working in the same groups producing the same material, and creates and incentive not to help others make their sketches better.

Zilla, Anthony_ and Jake Gyllenhaal like this.
  21. Anthony_

It's a(n un)surprisingly Trumpian managerial style and also produces bad results

22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yeah it's kinda weird when you get into the comedy scene and pretty soon you and your friends start writing better sketches than SNL haha.

Hats off to the cast members though, they do a lot of heavy lifting.

23. Anthony_

Even at the best of times, other than when it first debuted SNL was never at the top of the sketch comedy game on television. They've been outclassed at various different times by Mr. Show, The State, Portlandia, Kroll Show, Key & Peele, The Birthday Boys, etc. They just outlasted all those other shows, sadly.

JRGComedy and domotime2 like this.
  24. domotime2

as someone who took "sketch writing classes" at UCB.... so many of these sketches feel like people who, well, took those classes. Everything is very uniform. It's very noticeable

incognitojones and JRGComedy like this.
  25. Jake Gyllenhaal

And all the funny people who auditioned, got turned down, and became successful through other means