Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin Stream New Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 12, 2016.

1. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Must listen after work

2. Saephon

Regular

The fact that I enjoy it this much while audibly squinting through Pandora's awful quality is a good sign. I can't wait to have the real deal in my hands.

Edit: my impressions summarized: It sounds like an album that was written long before 2016.

teebs41 likes this.
  3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I think the guitar parts are way better than ISOSG and the vocal melodies are way better than recent Circa so I'm happy, haha.

I'm definitely looking at it as more of a "wow, I feel lucky to even have this" rather than a "about time" so I'm just happy with what I got rather than being disappointed that it's not going to be an all time favourite like TTN is for me.

4. Ska Senanake

Trusted

They all had a lot to get off their chests it feels like. A chance to make things right. It's so good!

5. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

This album just makes me wonder "what if"
    If AG doesnt leave Saosin, how much bigger would they have been (like MCR big) and how much different would the post hardcore scene be ?

6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

I really think the melodies Anthony is bringing to the table are far more like Juturna or On Letting Go and the guitars remind me of TTN a bit. I will say I agree with the idea of enjoying bands that typically break barriers with where they have been musically before, but I want to give Saosin a pass because these guys never got to make the record everyone expected them to make with Anthony around 2003 and 2004. They were all kids and still figuring everything out so I'm guessing kind of revisiting that sound was very cathartic, which is why this album, while sounding old school still sounds extremely honest and not outdated at all. I have thoroughly enjoyed it on my first listen through.

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Ska Senanake

Trusted

What if Circa Survive never existed? I would be crushed. They really pushed the boundaries with experimental / atmospheric rock in so many ways. I think Circa really has done a lot. I also want to say how impressed I am at Anthony's ability to continuously pump out music. Although this scene isn't widely recognized, I think Anthony needs more recognition as a rock and roll legend. Between Saosin, Circa, his solo stuff, and The Sound of Animals Fighting, this dude has made some incredible music.

js977 likes this.
  8. Ya know, that's a really good way of looking at it. Thanks

9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I actually don't think this album could/should have come out ~10 years ago. it sounds a lot more mature and fine tuned to me. Idk, this sounds like they benefitted from time and from seeing everybody else's (and their own) successes and failures since then. As someone who has always disagreed with the popular notion of outgrowing a genre (changing tastes and outgrowing a genre are different to me), I think this is just well done, 2016 post hardcore (or whatever).

Jake Z likes this.
  10. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I can't see Saosin ever being as big as MCR, I doubt they would have been much bigger, if as big, as they were during the s/t era. I'd love to know what their debut would have been like with Anthony though.

11. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

Incredibly true.
    Circa is actually my favorite band and I dont know what I would do if that catalog left.

I just remember the buzz from the EP was deafening. I dont think Circa was as influential as people thought they would be following the crazy Juturna debut

12. tigereatsapple

I love the fact that they provide such an open catalog of songs. I think they did a great job creating a unique Saosin album.

13. Jake Z

Regular

Like Jason said, why does it even matter what era or time frame something sounds like? If a new pop or R&B group released a throwback 1963 Motown clone record, I would be ecstatic as long as the songs were good. The same applies for rock music. If Saosin releases a great album in 2016 that has elements from 2003, why is that bad?

I guess what I am asking people like Chase is this: what would you have had the band to do differently to sound "new?" Like what sounds specifically are being done today in post hardcore that you think are essential that Saosin missed here? What about the vocals should change? I'm genuinely curious.

Ska, this isn't directed at you as I agree with your post. More fore the few who think it sounds "dated", which is the WORST argument in music. My parents jam the shit out of the same Neil Young records they have listened to for like 40 fucking years. Tell them they shouldn't enjoy that sound because it's "dated." It literally makes no sense.

js977 likes this.