Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin Playing “Voices” Live • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 10, 2018.

1. RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I'm hesitant to check this out only because the vocals on this song are something that (imo) only Cove could really do (yes, he was hit or miss live). That being said, I could see Anthony singing Bury Your Head, It's Far Better to Learn, Sleepers and You're Not Alone and making them sound awesome. I'll check it though.

2. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

*walks in on Cove vs. Anthony debate* Wait...did I just travel back to 2006?

But in all seriousness, I'm excited to see them playing self-titled era tracks, even if Anthony's voice doesn't quite fit as well on those songs. Now if we can just get them to play "Follow and Feel".

3. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah I do agree with you there, he can write hooks. I mean Seven Years is obviously a catchy song. Juturna has great hooks. Child of the Desert is catchy as hell, etc. I think the latest saosin album is pretty weak with the hooks though.

carrytheweird likes this.
  4. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

The debate was unavoidavle hehe ;d I think Anthony got much much better live as well, especially since he's sober, you can hear he also practices his voice in a different way, and he actually can hold all the recorded notes. With "Voices" here it's something else, especially seeing it's one of the last songs within a pretty intense set.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  5. PDPOUTCAST

I still remember seeing them on one of their last warped tours with Cove at the St. Petersburg date and I felt pretty bad/embarrassed at how bad Cove sounded during that specific set. That was when he was sporting the dreads and I guess smoking consistently before getting kicked out?

carrytheweird likes this.
  6. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

Totally agree. I really wanted to dig in and love it but it just doesn't share the spark of the first EP or Self-Titled. It's got some jams and I'm glad it exists, but it just didn't hit me the way I'd hoped.

7. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Cove was absolutely dreadful live.

I'm glad they decided to do this, I hope they do some more songs from the album.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  8. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I think there are some songs on Cove-era-albums, that would fit Anthony's voice better as well. Altough it's understandable they picked "Voices".

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  9. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

I went to last night's show at the Chain Reaction, and Anthony had some great things to say about "Voices." I'll try my best to paraphrase what I remember.

He definitely said, before playing the song, that it is one of his favorite Saosin songs. After the song, he gave a small speech about what most of the Cove-era songs mean to him. He said that when he performs the old Saosin songs he sometimes feels pretty distant from them, almost like he can't relate to them anymore. However, the songs Saosin wrote after he left mean very much to him. He pointed out how much he enjoys the lyrics that Cove, Chris, Beau, and the rest created, especially the lyrics in "Voices."

He was also genuinely grateful of the support he and the band received from fans. In particular, he mentioned that he appreciated that the fans were so accepting of him rejoining Saosin and playing with them after he spent an entire decade saying that he would never do it or play those songs again.

10. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

This made me revisit the S/T album, and it's still so good

11. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I'd love them to throw just two or three of these songs into the set (Voices, Sleepers, You're Not Alone for example).

Hope I see them next time they come to the UK. They would be a great shout for 2000 Trees.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  12. Ska Senanake

Trusted

A few things:

1) Anthony is otherworldly. Amazing he is playing these shows as he just finished that huge Circa tour with Thrice!
    2) I would love to hear anthony's take on some of the better Cove era songs, maybe an EP.
    3) Along the Shadow is a really good album overall, I just think it could have been produced better. I would love it if they released something else with Anthony.

PDPOUTCAST and carrytheweird like this.