Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin Playing “Voices” Live

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  2. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I'm sorry, WHAT? And I missed this?

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  3. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I think he forgot the words at 1:15 and it's the most confident mumbling I've ever heard.

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I wish they would play more songs from their self-titled

5. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I wish they all had mustaches like Chris does in this video.

coleslawed and PDPOUTCAST like this.
  6. momo32t

Trusted

At this rate do they even play anything off of In Search of Solid Ground? Asking for a friend ;-)

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  7. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

I now understand why people type "I'm crying" on the internet.

PDPOUTCAST and Ryan like this.
  8. peoplearepoison

It’s a perfect day for letting go... Supporter

Cove was better.

9. momo32t

Trusted

coleslawed and fenway89 like this.
  10. honkytonk

Narcissism on narcotics

Ahh that's nice - I hope they include more songs from the Self-Titled in their future sets. One of my favourite albums, so many jams!

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  11. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I hate how Anthony sounds on a recorded phone.

But live, good God.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  12. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I second this, and also love Circa Survive and AG's solo stuff.

Matt504 likes this.
  13. Matt504

Trusted Prestigious

Yea Anthony’s voice doesn’t pair well with that song, but at least they gave it a try...

14. daldalian

hopelessly yours, Alabama

It's weird that Anthony can't seem to find a good range to sing it in. It's like the timbre of his voice just doesn't mesh with it.

Or maybe it's just the bad phone quality. Played the shit out of this album in 2007 though, it's a damn shame they couldn't keep it up with Cove.

15. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

And he sang it great, like holy cow.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  16. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I don't know, but he's said a couple times thats his favorite Saosin record actually.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  17. PDPOUTCAST

Here's a better quality video and audio but only the first minute of the song. Props to Anthony and the rest of Saosin for starting to give the fans what they've been asking for since they started touring again with Anthony! Would love to hear a proper recording of a few Cove era songs from Anthony.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  18. bobsheiskawy

is it the same for you? Prestigious

I'm pretty sure they said they weren't doing any Cove stuff when Anthony came back (which is what makes this interesting).

19. Stevangelion

We Can (Not) Make It Alone.

Thank god they are playing stuff from the Post Anthony era. Some truely incredible songs there!

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  20. RyanPm40 Jan 10, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 10, 2018)
    RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Woww that's fucking awesome he did this. But yeahh, I can see why people would prefer Cove. I love Anthony, love his music, he has a very cool voice, but live videos I find are pretty cringey at times. I remember feeling a bit disappointed watching live videos from Juturna. It's a little weird to me considering Saosin's reason for ditching Cove was because smoking was making his voice not sound as great live anymore.

21. natefoundglory

Trusted Supporter

I wasn't aware I needed this, oh fuck

coleslawed and PDPOUTCAST like this.
  22. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

People need to stop pretending like Cove even holds a flame to Anthony.

I remember the early videos when they had no recordings with Cove, and played Warped acoustic sets and he sounded terrible. He gained some traction, and the self-titled is a wonder of an album, but he has had only a handful of moments where live he sounded good to me. (Either in person or on video.) they started their stint with him exactly how it ended, with him sounding bad.

This is one show, and Anthony is beyond gassed if you can’t tell and haven’t seen him live before. Like some said, his vocal range greatly differs from Cove and the harmony of this song between the notes playing and melody sang. Anthony is a beast live, and owns his own material in a way that is inimitable. This is easily the worst live anything I’ve seen of him and I’ll blame half of it on the video quality.

PDPOUTCAST likes this.
  23. SFguitar

Regular

That Self Titled album is so amazing. I can't think of a single band that blended metal riffs with poppy vocals before these guys, except for maybe Story of the Year to a lesser extent. I feel like these guys basically invented their own genre.

Unfortunately I also think these guys made a huge regression with ISOSG. That album is boring as HELL.

Regardless of who's a better singer, Anthony just can't write catchy hooks, whether it's in Saosin or Circa. S/T-era Saosin will always be the best.

Daniel182 likes this.
  24. carrytheweird

www.nrdc.org

Anthony can’t write hooks?

PDPOUTCAST, Ryan and fenway89 like this.
  25. DesolateEarth

Birb

Cove has a great recorded voice, but he was very hit or miss live sadly. That said, I definitely think his voice is better suited to the self titled material than Anthony's.

carrytheweird and PDPOUTCAST like this.