Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin - Along The Shadow (May 20, 2016) Album • Page 51

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Mar 14, 2016.

1. socklord

Trusted

Cove sucks as a vocalist. As much as I adore the self-titled for being such a formative album for me, you can tell a lot of the high notes on there are so unnatural. Cove even said on that podcast with Shane from Silverstein that recording vocals on that album was a struggle because he couldn’t really hit the notes and he felt a ton of negative pressure from the band.

Then we got ISOSG, which I think is a much more accurate reflection of Cove’s vocals. It’s not a good album, but I think it’s better than it’s given credit for. It sounds like a mess sonically (what, it went through, like, four or five producers?), but there are plenty of cool/good ideas on there musically.

Anyway, Along The Shadow was pretty good and I’m looking forward to whatever’s next for this band.

thesollopsist likes this.
  2. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

I remember they had the live stream of recording sessions and the stuff Beau was workin' on sounded magical then the record drops and it was just... not the same. I mean I love that record now probably because the nostalgia. The b-sides ripped though.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  3. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Guys guys guys.. LISTEN....This is the new version Beau was working on.. It's Anthony but... polished..

Joe, Transient_Hymn, Cameron and 7 others like this.
  4. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

I was running here to post this. Such slappage.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  5. DesolateEarth

Birb

IIRC they had a finished album in early 2009 but Capital Records made them go back and write more songs with Matt Squire and other producers. Some of those b-sides like Bury Me and Exfoliater were absolutely incredible.

6. socklord

Trusted

I have been longing for a re-recorded and updated version of I Can Tell with Anthony's vocals so I could stop listening to the Cove version and I have never been happier

7. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

This was also my issue with ISOSG. Cove's voice sounded so different compared to their debut.

8. socklord

Trusted

That's what happens when you can't sing well and you need a producer to make you sound good

9. The ISOSG bonus songs and bsides could've salvaged that record a bit. I still like most of it, and the alt rock direction kind of works but the vocals/hooks try too hard to be catchy.

10. Scarecrow Boat

Regular

I need that new I Can Tell on Apple Music stat!

11. DesolateEarth

Birb

Despite all the album's flaws, The Alarming Sound Of A Still Small Voice and Is This Real are really good though

12. socklord

Trusted

On My Own is really good too. That song was swirling around back during the writing process for the self-titled.

13. DesolateEarth

Birb

Yep. As "Uphill Battle"!

14. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

I always thought "Deep Down" was a jam.

15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

This is very nice.

jciswhatis likes this.
  16. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

17. Deep Down is the best of the rock centric songs for sure.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  18. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

this can now take its place as their best song

mescalineeyes likes this.
  19. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

holy shit I just discovered that version of "Exfoliator" with Tilian. goddamn

20. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

I think ISOSG is decent. Not amazing but I think it has some good songs on.

Either way, I'm down for more Saosin regardless.

21. thesollopsist

Pro Sleeper Prestigious

Amazing. God damn. Was literally listening to the old demo version yday

22. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

This rules hard!

23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Where?

24. socklord

Trusted

25. socklord

Trusted

I’m actually not that into the demos with Tilian. Exfoliator is kinda cool, but he just doesn’t seem to fit well with the music on all the demos leaked out there