Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin - Along The Shadow (May 20, 2016) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by irthesteve, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Timmiluvs

I play video games fast Prestigious

Posted this in the General Music chat because I somehow missed this thread, so gonna repost it here.

New Saosin confuses me for lack of a better word. It's not that I dislike the new stuff, it's just that it's hard for me to distance Anthony from Circa since that what Im used to hearing him in so when I listen to these songs they just sound like new Circa material rather than new Saosin material to me. I just dont feel the same magic for him returning to the band that I've seen others have and I feel like nothing they put out with him will ever compare to that EP because it's just so iconic (and also so different from Circa stuff). Idk, maybe they want to go a more Circa like direction with this album (in that case they're doing a good job) but it leaves me wanting something more.

Rambling over.

musicfan9795 likes this.
  2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Nice! I'm going to see if it comes on Apple Music at 11! Can't wait though!

3. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Is that a thing going on Apple Music at 11?

4. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I'm not sure, that's just when apple always releases music for the next day, 11pm
    Eastern time

5. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Cool good to know. I'm not super familiar with Apple Music yet.

teebs41 likes this.
  6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

It's on Apple Music now.

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Jake Z

Regular

New song is dope. 2/2

teebs41 likes this.
  8. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Wow, the last minute of this is absolutely incredible. I love that bridge at the end. Vocal melodies for this song are really cool, not just singing high but hitting some really nice notes in the chord progression. The guitar work is pretty sick as well

airik625 likes this.
  9. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

It's not going to sound like the ep. But this music has something that the copy cats just don't have. I'm not sure what it is, it's just a feeling that this is what tnis genre should feel like.. I'm really hyped on this record, I think this is going to really surprise me and compete with thrice and hotelier.

DejaMoi likes this.
  10. christsizedshoes

Trusted

As someone who was/is a Circa fan first, but who loves Translating and appreciates Saosin for what it is, I agree to an extent.

"Silver String" was solid and got me pumped. This new one just isn't what I was expecting, for some reason. I don't really know how I feel about it. I may well love it by tomorrow.

It's probably just me, but I have to admit, I don't love the changes Anthony's vocals have undergone through the years. This applies as much to new Circa, especially Descensus, as it does this Saosin material. The gravelly "growl" you get on this track's chorus, or on a song like "Schema," really undercuts what I loved about his vocals originally: the paradox of his angelic croon floating above the chaos beneath in the music. Probably just an age thing, so I don't fault him at all, but it's kinda a bummer.

11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Way more pumped after this single. And I really liked the first one.

teebs41 likes this.
  12. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I like this more than the first single.

teebs41 likes this.
  13. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

There are plenty of high notes on both of these songs where he doesn't use the "growl" which I know exactly what you are talking about. I think he actually uses it less on this song than on silver string but will need to listen to it more.

14. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Off topic but good to see you on the new forums SpyKi! We crossed paths in quite a few AP topics before not sure if you remember me...we have very similar music taste haha.

teebs41 likes this.
  15. kielhauck

itsalldead.com @kielhauck

"Racing Toward a Red Light" rips. Exactly what I was hoping for - some hints of old Sao tucked in there, but a very clear progression. Heavy and very melodic. I like it :-)

16. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Yeah I remember you! Good to be here, ha.

17. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I'm actually more partial to the first song. Though my iPhone speakers probably didn't do that new song justice.

18. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

That's two great songs in a row for me on this one. I think the best part about these songs, for me, is that Saosin seems to be getting back to the sound of Translating The Name and moving away from the increasingly poppy sound they were heading towards on Saosin and In Search of Solid Ground. While I always liked the self-titled record, it just never felt like an album that the same band who wrote Translating The Name would have written; these songs absolutely sound like that band again. And it isn't just the vocals, it's the whole way the songs are constructed as well. So yeah, couldn't be happier with what we've heard so far, 10/10 would listen to again.

teebs41 likes this.
  19. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

The new one is tight! Sounds more old-school Saosin, however it doesn't really make me like it more than "Silver String". And I can't imagine having to compare "Red Light" to Circa, where with the first single the vocals were similar at times, here it sounds nothing alike, I mean the song in its whole, it just hits with different genre and production impressions, that's it.

20. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

Yeah the new song shows promise that the album won't be Circa-lite.

ChrisCantWrite likes this.
  21. Deathco_019

Drummer

I mean, Anthony has been doing Circa for over ten years now. Hard to imagine he won't bring over any vocal stylings similar to what he's been doing there.

22. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

0/2 for me. kinda bummed :\

23. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

Ha awesome man! Good to see a lot of familiar faces on here already.

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

teebs41 likes this.
  25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Interesting that both music videos are pretty much the same exact thing ha