Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Saosin – Along The Shadow • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 25, 2016.

1. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought they only recorded the vocals there. I could be wrong though.. I remember beau saying on the break it down podcast that all of the music was recorded at his studio

2. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

I love it

teebs41 likes this.
  3. alexbrew

Just here for the comments

i still think Control and the Urge to Pray might be my favorite track

StoJa9 likes this.
  4. PDPOUTCAST

Based on Beau's instagram updates, they used the same kit as the one used in TTN for what it's worth.

5. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

I've played drums for 20 years, I don't really find a problem with them. I actually think compared to Saosins ST, these are a bit more rough round the edges. Alex is an animal, he doesn't need makeup to make his drumming look pretty, his drumming is purely hot as shit

6. Saephon

Regular

I love the pacing and progression of the tracks. The intense build up with the final four tracks (I count the two bonus ones as essential) make for a damn good back-end of the album. The screaming bridges/outros in Illusion & Control and Drinking From the Fountain make those my favorite songs.

Also it cannot be said enough that Anthony Green didn't just phone this in. These are some his most passionate vocals in years, and I don't just mean the screaming parts. The guy clearly was emotionally ready and eager to do this record.

teebs41 and Ryan like this.
  7. billcom6

This album is a fucking masterpiece.

Anthony_D'Elia and StoJa9 like this.
  8. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

Probably the best thing he's done since "Blue Sky Noise" imo. I love him and Cove, no hate anywhere, but, I think this record cements that Saosin was his.

Jason Tate likes this.
  9. StoJa9

Regular

No one's going to point out the fact that it's Alex Rodriguez, not Alex Gonzalez?

Ryan and Anthony_D'Elia like this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

He's one of the best in the business.

StoJa9 and Ryan like this.
  11. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

Good catch. Wrong baseball player I apparently renamed him...

StoJa9 and Ryan like this.
  12. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Seeing as Decensus was a big grower for me, I'm glad to hear that! I'll give it a few more whirls.

13. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I listened to the album 3 times straight which was probably a terrible idea because instead of getting a feel for it, it blended together for the most part. I liked it after but wasn't really impressed despite being a Saosin fan and an even bigger fan of Green (i love Avalon to death, and early Circa especially), but given all the good words, I'm going to listen again just to do it justice.

14. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

That sounds exhausting. Yeah just listen to it on its own. It's a heavy listen on its own. Listening to almost 2 hours of loud music that gets progressively worse (from S/T to In Search there's a big drop off) before it seems almost torturous.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  15. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Side note but anyone else ever notice how bands often title their worst stuff in a way that makes showering it in snark seem too easy? Re: a shaky, uneven, not-very-solid record called In Search of Solid Ground.

16. billyboatman

Hopelessly Hopeful

I'm loving this album so much. Current favorites are Sore Distress and Old Friends.

teebs41 likes this.
  17. Louie

Takes a Bit More

There are maybe 4 songs on the album I like, the rest are just kind of there. It might just take some more time to grow on me but I'm just not that into it so far. =/

18. brentkid

Regular

Definitely liked the album and have listened straight through several times, but I think I need to take some more punctuated time to listen to individual songs. The album as a whole definitely blends together almost too well.

19. GhostOverground

Well, I bookmarked this for a month to form my opinion about it before reading it.....Just circled back to say it is a great review. Fine work as always Craig!

It was funny to consider the subsets of fans you listed that might like this: original AG Saosin fans, Circa fans, Cove era fans....I counted myself in all of them. It's been fun to watch Anthony develop, and it is crazy to contrast the feel the lyrics on Along the Shadow to some of the tracks on Blue Sky Noise.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.