Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Santana Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by cshadows2887, Apr 7, 2016.

1. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

[​IMG]

Santana is an American Latin rock band formed in San Francisco, California in 1967 by Mexican guitarist Carlos Santana. The band first came to widespread public attention when their performance of "Soul Sacrifice" at Woodstock in 1969 provided a contrast to other acts on the bill. This exposure helped propel their first album, also named Santana, into a hit, followed in the next two years by the successful Abraxas and Santana III.

2. cshadows2887

Their first 3 albums (especially Abraxas and III) are really something else.

Inspired to make the thread by listening to IV right now. Had no clue it was a reunion of the classic lineup. The production doesn't suit the record and they lack the fire of their youth, but man can they still play together. The chemistry is very much there.

3. Inna Selez

Regular

I think this song know all people around the planet.

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Oh yeah, I'm here for any and all classic rock. Abraxas is so good, pretty sure that's where I'd have new listeners start. Fun fact, Gregg Rolie played keyboards in this band and went on to be a founding member of Journey.

cshadows2887 likes this.
  5. cshadows2887

He also was the lead singer, too. Dude fronted some seriously classic songs.

6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Guy has some serious talent. This whole band was incredibly tight straight out of the gate.

7. cshadows2887

Jose Areas and Mike Carabello do WORK on the congas, too.

8. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

Oh yea their rhythm section are some of the best in the biz to this day. They are all over that drumming doc on Netflix.

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

In case anyone hasn't seen it

10. Inna Selez

Regular

11. cshadows2887

III is just stupid good. I don't understand how it's not regarded with the same reverence as Abraxas.

12. cshadows2887

Africa Speaks is worth the spin. Like IV, the production could definitely use some more grit, but Carlos is back to being a guitar player rather than a guitar hero, and that makes all the difference. Karl Perazzo absolutely rips on percussion, too.