Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

(Sandy) Alex G - House of Sugar (September 13, 2019) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by oncenowagain, Jun 4, 2019.

1. yung_ting

Trusted

2. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

southern sky is my early fav

3. radiodead

Trusted

Elliott Smith for sure. The Ringer review said the record is equally indebted to Harvest-era Neil Young and Oneohtrix Point Never, which I thought was a great comparison.

ChiliTacos and Aaron Mook like this.
  4. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

I have still never listened to a full Alex G record. is this a good place to start?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  5. I'd say so. I started with his previous record, Rocket, and I'd say this is pretty similar.

yung_ting and Leftandleaving like this.
  6. Leftandleaving

alright rad. ive been real intimidated for a while cause this guys got so many albums and so many of them are so long. maybe just work backwards then?

Aaron Mook likes this.
  7. yung_ting

Trusted

His albums all hover between 30-40 mins actually! I’d say start with Rocket or this and if you enjoy it work backwards. Of the six I’m familiar with (Rules through House of Sugar) there’s nothing less than great

Leftandleaving likes this.
  8. cherrywaves

Trusted

I started with DSU. Never listened to Beach Music. Both this and Rocket are really good

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Trick is also dope

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.
  10. username

hey you lil piss baby

DSU is soooo good but definitely a different vibe than this and Rocket. I never got into Beach Music, I should go back to it.

11. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I'd start at dsu, I think that's his most accessible but you can't really go wrong anywhere since there's not a bad record in the bunch

12. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

my favorite one of his records still

Cameron likes this.
  13. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

He’s pretty consistent

14. yung_ting

Trusted

Kick and Snot are two of his best songs! I do find it less consistent than the rest but it’s good as hell

15. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Brick is probably my favorite just because how left field it is. Totally flexing his Pavement side messing around with genres.

16. Jim

Trusted Supporter

Beach music is great y’all

Aaron Mook likes this.
  17. username

hey you lil piss baby

I feel like that’s when a lot of people got into him, so it’s probably great! It also happened to come out when I was listening to less stuff like this and was just never something I went back to rediscover. Probably should though considering how incredible everything else is.

oncenowagain and yung_ting like this.
  18. Leftandleaving

oh word, for whatever reason I was under the impression they’re all like an hour plus haha. this is such a relief
    see I trust yr opinion too...maybe I’ll try this and dsu and work through that way

19. This is gonna end up in my top 10 this year - what a record

wisdomfordebris and oncenowagain like this.
  20. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

not a bad idea, you get a good representation of his older stuff and where his heads been at post-Beach Music that way

21. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

there is not a bad alex g record to start with. you could start with one of his unreleased albums (monsterhead is amazing) and you would still be instantly hooked

oncenowagain and Leftandleaving like this.
  22. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

he honestly has one of the most prolific back catalogues of unreleased songs ive ever heard. i think my itunes is like 250 songs and 90% is pure gold

radiodead and oncenowagain like this.
  23. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Project 2, and onward is real special. In My Arms has some nice guitar

ChiliTacos likes this.
  24. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

He's incapable of releasing a bad record

25. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

I’m boycotting him until he fuckin puts Be Kind on a record

EmmanuelSCastle likes this.