Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sandman (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 26, 2021.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Cast announcement is goooood.

Tom Sturridge as Dream
    Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer
    Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne
    Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthian
    Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess
    Sanjeev Bhaskar And Asim Chaudhry as Cain and Abel

• KIRBY HOWELL-BAPTISTE (she/her) is DEATH, Dream’s wiser sister.
    • MASON ALEXANDER PARK (they/them) is DESIRE, Dream’s sibling, and desire personified.
    • DONNA PRESTON (she/her) is DESPAIR, Dream’s sister, and the twin of Desire.
    • JENNA COLEMAN (she/her) is JOHANNA CONSTANTINE, haunted exorcist and Occult Adventuress for Hire.
    • NIAMH WALSH (she/her) is YOUNG ETHEL CRIPPS, a betrayed and determined young woman seeking to survive.
    • JOELY RICHARDSON (she/her) is ETHEL CRIPPS, Master thief and woman of a thousand identities.
    • DAVID THEWLIS (he/him) is JOHN DEE, Ethel's son. Dangerous, insane and on a quest for truth.
    • KYO RA (she/her) is ROSE WALKER, A young woman on a desperate search for her missing brother. She discovers a connection to Dream that neither of them can escape.
    • STEPHEN FRY (he/him) is GILBERT, Debonair protector of Rose Walker.
    • RAZANE JAMMAL (she/her) is LYTA HALL, Rose’s best friend and travel companion.
    • SANDRA JAMES YOUNG (she/her) is UNITY KINCAID, Heiress and mysterious benefactor.
    • PATTON OSWALT (he/him) to voice MATTHEW THE RAVEN, Dream’s trusted emissary. A Raven.

coleslawed and Rowan5215 like this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

david thewlis is two years older than joely richardson, and looks it, and is playing her son???

3. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

Thewlis as John Dee is fucking inspired casting

and Howell-Baptiste as Death. cannot wait

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

coleslawed and maldoror like this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

man. can't wait.

6. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

This comic series is excellent, I hope they can pull it off. Really looking forward to seeing Lucifer Morningstar done right after the abomination that is the Lucifer series.

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Please be good.

upload_2022-5-13_8-24-28.png

Victor Eremita, coleslawed and SpyKi like this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

coleslawed and Victor Eremita like this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Henry likes this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

August 5th - release date!

12. Henry

Moderator Moderator

coleslawed likes this.
  13. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Thought this was about Sandler. This looks whatever.

14. maldoror

#1 Mudsdale fan

2 weeks! I've been waiting 30 years for this.

coleslawed and GBlades like this.
  15. Built to Fail

You and I are panoramic

First episode was solid. CGI pretty shoddy in parts but didn’t expect anything else from Netflix.

16. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I dig episode one. Excited to watch more later.

17. Halitosis Jones

Too lazy for Fajitas

Just finished. Pretty enjoyable. Good worldbuilding. I like how instead of one big arc the season was made of multiple smaller arcs, kind of made it feel the format of a comic book TPB. Excited for season 2.

18. Victor Eremita

Not here. Isn't happening. Supporter

First episode was promising. Following the source material is the thing to do here, you have a masterpiece storyboarded out for you. Use it.

FlayedManOfSF and coleslawed like this.
  19. Dodge725

Trusted

So far after episode 4 I’m absolutely loving the show. It still has the feel of a comic book on screen rather than a tv show that happened to start as a comic which really makes it feel unique.

coleslawed likes this.
  20. Rowan5215

first episode of this is a snoozer. hoping it gets better

21. Rowan5215

really struggling with the way they've done with Morpheus in this so far. not sure if it's an acting or directing misfire but they overshot imperious/unknowable and landed on just, like, insanely boring and slow

admittedly that's not necessarily a dealbreaker because Dream is usually the least interesting character in the comics anyway. they've really nailed some stuff so far: the dude playing Corinthian is fantastic and I really enjoy the new take on Lucien too. smart move to tease Jenna Coleman and David Thewlis at the end of episode 2, those are castings I'm really curious about which is enough to keep me watching for a few more episodes. but not the strongest kickoff, so far

Victor Eremita likes this.
  22. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

I wonder how much I would understand and get if I didn’t read the comics.

23. Dodge725

Trusted

I have not read the comics (probably my biggest blind spot that the show is inspiring me to fix) and I’m loving it and understanding it all so far.

coleslawed, Rowan5215 and xapplexpiex like this.
  24. Rowan5215

just got to Sound of Her Wings and man, this was the show I wanted all along. great economical adaptation of two of the best Sandman stories, inspired casting for the two big guest stars and finally some dynamic directing and staging!

this show could really use more of that boldness in mixing and matching different issues instead of sticking with the source material to the letter. I am pretty curious where it goes from here, at what feels like a natural endpoint but with four episodes left to go. maybe they fit in half of The Doll's House and left it on a cliffhanger?

coleslawed and maldoror like this.
  25. xapplexpiex

sup? Supporter

Just realize Johanna is played by Jenna Coleman. I loved her as Clara in Doctor Who.