Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

San Francisco • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt, May 12, 2016.

1. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

The Fox Theater in Oakland is really rad. Will be a great show, I'm going on Wednesday right now but may go Tuesday also. I'd say check out Golden Gate Park for sure. You can drink in the park legally and it's generally pretty great just to walk around in. It's not near the Golden Gate Bridge, it's south of it in the middle of the city. I'd suggest just doing a massive urban hike around the City. Very walkable and so many cool things to see.

popdisaster00 likes this.
  2. Had a dope time in SF last week. Weather was beautiful. Ate good food. Drank good drinks. Walked a lot. Met great people.

muttley and AndrewSoup like this.
  3. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

was there for a week recently. I think it's a city that's best to be lived at and not traveled to if that makes sense? It's a very pretty city, with unique views throughout the city, and there's definitely a little bit of everything within a short driving distance, but it terms of vacation spots, I'd say it was a bit underwhelming. it seems like a city without really an identity and it lacks those big "draws" that i personally enjoy when i go on vacation.

I'm glad I got to go though. I dug parts of Oakland a lot and Berkely.

4. Dog with a Blog

Where did you end of goin?

5. nfdv2

Trusted Prestigious

apologies in advance for using this thread to self-promote, but my friend and I are taking our musical projects Benno, VA and Sailboat Thief on a short tour next week and we'll be hitting up (among other places)

Sat May 6 - San Jose (at a house)
    Sun May 7 - San Francisco (at The Honey Hive Gallery)

so if you are free next weekend and would be interested in listening to indie/emo/pop songs of varying emotional valences in a small & intimate space, you should come see us play! feel free to hit me up for the SJ address and event pages

our songs can be checked out here (mine) and here (theirs) and we also have some other, older records on bandcamp

cheers,
    formerly nothingsforeverdude~

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

wife and i booked our first SF trip for next October. doing 2 days in the middle of the month in the city and 2 in the big sur area. shoutout any suggestions for places to check out, neighborhoods to airbnb in, food, etc.

7. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

SF/Sausalito was the last place we went to like a week before everything shut down. if you like outdoors/nature i would definitely catch the ferry out to angel island. you can also do the bougie stuff like alcatraz and the piers. we're fortunate enough to stay with my wife's cousin in sausalito. if you can make it out to downtown sausalito i would recommend hitting the shops there. napa valley burger company has some of the best burgers i've had. is this your first time?

phaynes12 likes this.
  8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Big Sur area rules. It's a little more south by an hour or so, but the place to see the seals is so cool! Real close to Hurst castle (Vista Point). If you need to sell it, more time on the PCH is a plus!

phaynes12 likes this.
  9. djwildefire

Trusted

What do you usually like to do on vacation? I’ve lived in the Bay Area almost my whole life. I’m pretty knowledgeable about food/drink, outdoorsy stuff, etc.

I’ve also spent a fair amount of time in the Big Sur area on day trips and camping trips. Lots of amazing stuff to see there, although sometimes there are trail closures due to wildfires, rockslides, etc. Must-sees would be McWay falls which is visible right off the road, with a short trail that leads to some alternate viewpoints. But no way to get all the way down to the beach/falls. Also Pfeiffer Beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. The turn off HWY 1 isn’t marked well (or sometimes at all), but it’s just south of Big Sur Station, then about a 10 minute drive on a narrow winding road. Well worth it though, sunset is absurd.

Can also recommend some hikes in the area depending on how long/short/easy/difficult you like your hikes to be. It’s a crazy area and that stretch of the 1 is one of the most beautiful roads I’ve ever driven on.

The drive down to Big Sur from SF has some worthy stops depending on which route you take. Monterey is a cool city (aquarium is awesome, kayaking, cute shops and restaurants, Alvarado street brewery). A bit south is Carmel which is bougie but has another Alvarado St brewery location, as well as some nice beaches. Point Lobos State Park is just south of the town and well worth a visit.

if you stick to the coast the whole way down from SF, there’s even more beautiful beaches to explore. Santa Cruz is an awesome little town and also happens to have some great breweries (namely, Sante Adairius and Humble Sea). If you like to kayak, elkhorn slough in Moss Landing is really special due to the sheer amount of wildlife (shorebirds, seals, sea lions, TONS of sea otters).

anyway I’m getting a bit carried away, but feel free to PM me if you want any other tips. It’s a beautiful area.

10. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honestly, we had trouble finding stuff and places to stay for SF. big sur was already in the plans to spend two days there in between LA and SF. instead of staying in SF, we’re gonna just pop in for a few hours and do sonoma instead. found a cool resort on a vineyard

11. djwildefire

Trusted

Good call. Staying in any of the desirable locations in SF would be crazy expensive, not really worth it. Sonoma is great. The Russian River and Sonoma Coast are well worth exploring if you’re looking to hike or sightsee. The Sonoma Coast actually reminds me a lot of Big Sur, but isn’t as touristy. Of course Russian River Brewing is a must stop as well, if you can squeeze it in between wine tastings.

phaynes12 likes this.