Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sad Summer Festival (w/ The Maine, State Champs, Mayday Parade, The Wonder Years) Tour • Page 37

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Blink182Bouncer, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Agree

2. Anyone know if Chicago is on track to sell out in advance? I haven’t seen TWY post about it, and I’m hoping to buy a ticket at the door to avoid some of the $20 fees on top of a $30 ticket.

3. cameoutswingin

Regular

They are doing a 4 pack promo so i would say no

4. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

The bands they picked are just as important as the venues, I think. The Maine, Mayday and TWY have very devoted fanbase communities, more so than like, Sum 41 or Thrice. It's not enough to get "names" anymore and hope people turn out.

(Of course it helps that Sad Summer's headliners skew younger in terms of demographics, as opposed to the 30-somethings that listened to Sum 41 and Thrice and The Used when they were younger, but I still think those bands don't have very strong community ties among their fan bases.)

5. fluffyjdawg

Regular

Here's a cool video of Derek from State Champs singing with Last Night Saved My Life from Pontiac's date:

ALT/MSC/FAN and kelseyleigh like this.
  6. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Excited for Minneapolis tomorrow!

7. maryp1603

Hey. Supporter

Went yesterday. My date was indoors. Some thoughts:

1. I think state champs are becoming one of my favorites to see live. So much energy every single time.

2. I love The Maine on record, but something about them live does absolutely nothing for me. John is great as a frontman / hypeman, though.

3. Definitely need more things to do between bands. I realize it’s the first year, but I found myself just sitting for durations at a time between bands.

BelieF and Blink182Bouncer like this.
  8. Theemoflamingo Jul 25, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 25, 2019)
    Theemoflamingo

Regular

If anyone is going today early and could find/post the set times that would be great

Update: found it

Blink182Bouncer likes this.
  9. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

Went to the MN date yesterday. Wasn't expecting the indoor layout to work, but it was actually super fun. The Maine were incredibly fun, but State Champs just brought the energy & tightness of the performance to a whole other level. Mayday were kinda dissapointing, the setlist was kinda slow and sluggish, especially for a casual fan like me. TWY did great, but Soupy sounded kinda drunk like he was about to break down crying after every word. They also only played 7 songs I think.

Seeing State Champs absolutely COMMAND a 3000 capacity club was so badass, I couldn't help but to pit. Just Friends also were a highlight, and crushed it. Loved the vocal duo, and every member of the band was jumping around and going off. Stand Atlantic killed it as always too. Definitely had an amazing time.

Every band made some sort of comment about "Many Sad Summer Fests to come" which seems to indicate a lot of optimism surrounding this fest.

10. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

Soupy doesn't drink

11. heymattrick

Sending my love

Hopefully someone will share set times for Denver tomorrow

12. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

That's what I thought, I was just saying that's how he sounded when talking. Kinda yelly and bizarre.

13. cricketandclover

Things have changed.

His stage voice is like that, yeah.

DrAlanGrant likes this.
  14. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Soupy always sounds like that IMO.

15. btr

Trusted Supporter

Yeah Dan has been doing that at TWY shows for over a decade now. It seemed like the heat was getting to him at the Pittsburgh date, so maybe it sounded more “drunk” than usual

pauljgreco likes this.
  16. Blink182Bouncer

Trusted

I guess so. I just saw them in Albuquerque last thanksgiving and he was casually cracking jokes with the audience and just sounded chill, where on Thursday he sounded melodramatic as hell.

17. heymattrick

Sending my love

The Maine are on at 5pm today, I am BLESSED :thumbup:

Brent and pauljgreco like this.
  18. J12

Trusted Supporter

That's definitely Dan's stage presence. Every time I've seen them, at least since the Upsides/Suburbia days, he's had kind of a slow, methodical, preacher-y cadence to his speaking during live shows.

Every time I've seen him on stage for VIP sound checks though, he talks nothing like that.

19. He’s talked in interviews before about trying to emulate pro wrestling hype speeches on stage. It’s not my favorite thing about TWY shows, but it’s definitely a conscious decision on his part.

20. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

19:05

troyplaysbass likes this.
  21. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Omg that is spot on (obviously) haha