Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Sad Summer Festival 2020 (All Time Low / The Story So Far / Movements / The Maine) Tour • Page 23

Discussion in 'Tour Forum' started by Blink182Bouncer, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

There were def less people at this one than the last one I feel though -and honestly to say that the maines set, with it without technical difficulties, was disappointing is the understatement of the year. They were bad last sad summer as well :/ overall this years show was a pretty substantial step down from the pre-covid one

theasteriskera likes this.
  2. J12

Trusted Supporter

I definitely felt more crowded this time around than last, but part of that could be that I’m more aware of crowds now with COVID. I think the layout this time contributed to the tighter quarters. They had that whole right section blocked off because of construction, so they lost a fair bit of land to work with.

And I agree - love The Maine but they weren’t great last time either.

3. zachmacD

Trusted

We’re at the show in Philly. The Maine were pretty disappointing and John talked so much. The last few times I’ve seen them, the music is so loud and his vocals get lost in the mix. The wonder years were amazing and in retrospect, I’m happy they played over TSSF. Before ATL came on, my vote was that grayscale sounded the best. ATL are putting on a pretty great show though

4. Jusscali

Yeah Four year strong killed it in their replacement spot as well. I enjoyed Grayscale but was hoping for more new stuff. In general
    I felt the sets were just too quick.

5. meggers

Trusted

I’d be surprised if they’re back at all since this ends this week.

6. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

Damn, The Wonder Years only played one Sister Cities song tonight, that’s a surprise.

7. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

It’s crazy to me that some think The Maine were disappointing. I though they were amazing tonight and the lineup going them - TWY - ATL was just nonstop energy. Really special night!

zachmacD, ALT/MSC/FAN and Joshua like this.
  8. Joshua

Regular

I loved everyone tonight, after weeks of expecting this to be a shit show it didn’t miss a single beat for me. Didn’t mind the drizzling at all, the cooler weather definitely made my mask more bearable so I appreciated it. Feel for everyone that wanted to see tssf but the wonder years really elevated this night for me, felt my money was more than well spent even before all time low came on

zachmacD and ALT/MSC/FAN like this.
  9. CTFFEMT93

Regular

Quick thrown together setlist with crowd pleasers. This is exactly what I expected them to play. With the exception of living room song. That was a nice treat.

ALT/MSC/FAN likes this.
  10. Jusscali

You literally could not hear him in Boston - it sounded like a bad sound check. The tech difficulties led to like 3 lost songs because of time. He also relies on the crowd to sing like 1/3 of each song and he doesn’t shut the fuck up lol

11. Mort Michaels

Father, Son, and House of Gucci

I love a frontman that does a ton of crowd work, so I don't mind the talking at all. All I know is that in Philly they really made me feel something and I danced the whole time; and I knew all the words, so maybe I had ignored that his vocals got a little lost. By the time TWY finished, I felt like I got my money's worth entirely.

zachmacD likes this.
  12. lifestartsmusic

Back For A (Not So) Limited Time Prestigious

My girlfriend and I said the same thing about the Maine. It happened in 2019 as well where it sounds like his vocals are drowned out by the band until he talk yells certain parts of songs.

zachmacD likes this.
  13. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

I mean he’s always been a pretty bad singer lol especially live

ArmsLikeTeeth likes this.
  14. J12

Trusted Supporter

Yeah - I was hugely disappointed in them both at Sad Summer 2019 and this year, but this year was substantially worse. It's not just John, either. I don't think the band sounds all that tight. There's a looseness/emptiness to the way they play that I don't think I've ever identified with any band I've truly enjoyed. It's a bummer. He straight up ignores about a third of his lyrics and mumbles through another third of them.

Maybe the technical difficulties were impacting the rest of the band too and not just Pat's drums, I don't know. Certainly wasn't the first time he's sounded like this, though.

And it couldn't be the acoustics or the venue's sound, either. All Time Low sounded fantastic, as did Four Year Strong. I hadn't seen the other bands before, so I can't comment on how they sounded relative to usual.

15. ALT/MSC/FAN

It's chaos. Be kind. Prestigious

I've seen The Maine seven or eight times and I've never had a problem with John's singing, really. Maybe it was a bad day?

16. Jusscali

3rd bad day I’ve seen them lol

17. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

I also have wondered if there’s something wrong with his voice? He doesn’t seem to really be able to project and it sounds like he’s really struggling through most of the songs.

18. zachmacD

Trusted

If you ever listen them acoustic, I think he sounds good so I dont think it’s that he has a bad voice. It might just be the way the sound is mixed. As someone who knows the lyrics, I enjoyed their set enough but my fiancée and her friend, who don’t know the lyrics, said they couldn’t hear him that well. I thought the band sounded good though.

The main thing for me is just how solid Grayscale sounded in comparison. They kicked off the show (for me) with a bang and sounded crystal clear.

19. CTFFEMT93

Regular

Grayscale is so good and I hope they have tons of success as one of the leaders of this next wave of emo

20. earthlight

Trusted Supporter

Grayscale really impressed me live, great band

zachmacD likes this.
  21. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

on the instagram yesterday pinkshift says their entire band got covid as well.

22. theasteriskera

Trusted Supporter

I've seen the Maine ~15 times, and it's split 50/50 whether it's gonna be incredible or disappointing. At Pier 17 they sounded awful, and despite having a shortened set due to weather, John kept all the banter in. I love them regardless and already have tickets to 8123 Fest in January, I'll take my chances at flipping a coin & them having a good night next time

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  23. Xpertguy5

Trusted

24. MegT585

Trusted

how is this possible? Didn’t they post a week ago they all have covid??

25. JeebsJay

Regular

I've seen the maine over 50 times at this point, sometimes it just looks like they are tired...I think John's voice needs a bit to warm up cause to my surprise every time it sounds better the more they play. I've noticed when they take time off or have a bunch of time between shows, his voice doesn't have it the same way...maybe it's just me...still my ride or die band that is finally seeing some nationwide success