Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ryan Ross Working on New Music

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 17, 2018.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I wonder if this is the same new music he said he was working on, oh, five years ago now?

Brent likes this.
  3. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

Yes please

4. Brent

Trusted Prestigious

Voice is for the birds but the man can write.

Essie, RobJGolde and skogsraet like this.
  5. Honeymagnolia

Regular Supporter

That is a name I haven't heard in a while. Will check out what he puts out.

6. personalmaps

citrus & cinnamon Prestigious

P l e a s e be for real this time omg.

skogsraet likes this.
  7. Analog Drummer

Regular

God. What was that record from years ago, first one out after he left panic and the pics on the speed/devils dandruff were on his coffee table

8. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Take a Vacation

9. Analog Drummer

Regular

That was it. I struggled with that one.

God Fever was a masterpiece with the original PATD lineup. Espresh for kids so young

TedSchmosby likes this.
  10. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

It was for sure. Loved it when I was a teenager and still do now to a degree.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  11. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

If Pretty Odd was Panic plus Kinks/Beach Boys, Take a Vacation was Pretty Odd minus Panic. Absolutely no original/individual character left in the music whatsoever. Really hoping Ryan’s gotten over aping his idols whenever he gets around to releasing something new.

Analog Drummer likes this.
  12. Orla May 18, 2018
    (Last edited: May 18, 2018)
    Orla

little old lady Prestigious

It did—and still does—seem that a Take A Vacation gets a ton of unfair criticism for not being what P!atD fans wanted it to be. The album was supposed to be an early ‘60s rock & roll throwback drawing from The Kinks, The Zombies, The Beatles, etc. That’s exactly what was delivered.

Within its context, the record was still lyrically sharp as Ryan Ross was known to be. The songs were fun when called for, and overall the music was sturdily crafted. It was even made quite clear beforehand the record would be very stripped back compared to Pretty. Odd.

Many people went in listening wanting to support Ryan (+Jon), based on previous works they enjoyed or perhaps even adored, and evidently felt kinda burned when TYV put out an LP that sounded pointless bc it resembled ground tread by so many artists several decades prior.

Calling it original would be a lie, believing it’s Ryan’s best work would hardly be justified, but I’m confident in saying Take A Vacation is a very solid album, especially for what was intended.

skogsraet likes this.
  13. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I still can’t believe he’s not done anything in all these years he seemed to be very passionate about music so must be hard to have remained dormant all this time.

I probably need to give Take A Vacation another blast when it came out I really didn’t like it but my music taste has expanded dramatically since then.