Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ryan Key to Write Venom Comic Book

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 22, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Ryan Key of Yellowcard will be writing an upcoming issue of the comic book Venom. He talked with Marvel about the character and his history with the stories:

I was beyond excited when I found out I was going to get to work with Venom for my first ever attempt at writing a comic. I don’t know if you can count the comics I wrote and drew during class as a kid. Spider-Man was a huge part of my childhood and Venom has always been, without a doubt, one of my all-time favorite villains in the Marvel Universe. I feel like Logan has always had a “dark side” himself and this version of him in his older age where he slips into this apathy we saw in the first [“Old Man Logan”], provided an opportunity to fuse him with the symbiote and awaken that rage we’ve always seen from him. Just the thought of Wolverine in a Venom suit was more than enough to get me on board for this!

2. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

I was going to buy the edge of venomverse series anyway but now I'm even more excited. No idea how Ryan gets an opportunity to write a Marvel comic as his first published comic. Very cool!

3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

oh man, that is so cool.

4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I like the direction he's hinting at.

5. aniafc

Trusted

Because he's probably got more connections than the average person writing their first comic. I mean this isn't to knock him entirely, I'm sure they had to look at some drafts or something. Maybe? No clue how this process works but I assume he got in touch with the people easier, but still had a lot of work to do to prove it?

6. slimfenix182

FUCKIN SAVAGES IN THAT FUCKIN BOX Prestigious

You'd think if they got a pop-punk guy to write a comic book about an alien symbiote, it would've been Tom lol

7. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Gerard was busy lol

Yellowcard2006 and aniafc like this.
  8. Ryan is the only person I know beside @Tim that rivals my Spider-Man love. This is awesome for him.

smowashere, Tim and slimfenix182 like this.
  9. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

This is really cool for Ryan and is a good way to help him fill his time post YC days. The direction sounds intriguing; will def be picking this up.

10. jorbjorb

7 rings

he should hire tom

11. Dan O'Neill

Regular

Gerard is a pretty big deal at DC Comics right now anyways. I don't think Marvel have a chance of scoring work from him for awhile.

I'm kind of worried about the future of his Dark Horse series The Umbrella Academy tough...

12. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

I am a little surprised there isn't a co-writer. CM Punk worked with Cullen Bunn when he was given the Drax series.

Makes sense to have a safety net for someone who has literally never done this before.

13. Raku

Regular

Pretty cool of him, hope it goes well for him.

I do have to admit that I'm slightly jealous of him though. I have some characters that I'm working on that I would love to submit to the Marvel universe one of these days.